The last 4mm scale layout to be featured which is appearing at expoEM Autumn this weekend is Whithorn in EM gauge by Alisdair MacDonald.

This was filmed at the Wirral show in 2016 https://www.facebook.com/…/slw-class-24-de…/215872452177460/ and has been shamelessly copied from the thread on RMWeb.

40773048_2041436702833278_23164723145369

41013446_2041436706166611_28457676558460

Yes, Whithorn now being packed and ready for the trip to Partington.   

Found your pics interesting as these are of Whithorn Mark1 version.  It now has a new bridge over the river and a creamery siding and generally been extended since the Wirral 2016 Show.

Any chance, please, of copying the images for my personal use as I have very few photos of the Whithorn Mark 1 version of the model. 

See you Friday for setting up - and hope the kettle will be on for some mugs of tea.  (AM) 

• Like 1

The final featured layout is our Guest Layout in 7mm scale, Tollesbury Quay built by Martin Stringer. Not merely a model railway of the highest standard, it features the rise and fall of the tides at this isolated Essex coastal location. Rarely exhibited, expoEM Autumn 2018 represents an opportunity to see this superb creation in miniature.

41120201_2041867466123535_46482971786519

41238321_2041867462790202_17471936537905

41162367_2041867446123537_26259621818033

41205925_2041867522790196_81391727921227

• Like 6

We have more industrial action on NorthernFail on Saturday, hope it doesn't have an effect on the show. I will be driving in rather than trying to rely on the skeleton service. Pity because I was looking forward to a vintage bus trip from Urmston. 

Take the bus anyway from the show and have a drink at the excellent boozer on Urmston station. Then get the bus back an hour later!

• Like 1

Take the bus anyway from the show and have a drink at the excellent boozer on Urmston station. Then get the bus back an hour later!

oh no! we've been rumbled...

Pub with a view (passing trains) and just the place for an after show pint on a Sunday afternoon...

https://whatpub.com/pubs/TRA/3797/steamhouse-urmston

• RMweb Premium

As always, one of the highlights of the exhibition year and a well kept secret as it is a superb show but hardly anybody comes.

Hopefully this year will see some good numbers through the door.

I will be there with a 70th anniversary display of items from Peter Denny's Buckingham. It was the spring of 1948 when he exhibited Buckingham Mk 1.

Many of the items on show date back to those days but I will also have some more recent items, including some almost new ones from only 40 years ago.

Tony Gee

• Like 1

As always, one of the highlights of the exhibition year and a well kept secret as it is a superb show but hardly anybody comes.

The last 10 miles are the hardest.  If I set out later today I should get there in time for opening.

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There is planned industrial action and engineering works so Northern are advertising a reduced service so I have altered the bus service to suit. The times as last year are timed to meet the trains from Manchester till after lunch and then to meet them going to Manchester. See Below.

post-6784-0-21320800-1536330486_thumb.jpg

Please Note it will be a proper bus, a Manchester Letyland PD2 and not the Routemaster.

oh no! we've been rumbled...

Pub with a view (passing trains) and just the place for an after show pint on a Sunday afternoon...

https://whatpub.com/pubs/TRA/3797/steamhouse-urmston

We just need that nice Mr Fishwick to operate the layout  for an hour (or three)

Tenuous link to a tenuous link.

Anybody know if the Live steamers are operating at Urmston?

Please Note it will be a proper bus, a Manchester Letyland PD2 and not the Routemaster.

As long as its got a rear platform that I can dangle off to view the local lamp standards I'm happy.

post-508-0-28762600-1536331603.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

The last 10 miles are the hardest.  If I set out later today I should get there in time for opening.

Chris

Probably see you there. I only live 20 miles away but it's all difficult. The drive should take 40 minutes but traffic will probably add another 20 minutes. 

As far as public transport is concerned I would be quicker following the CLC (aka Trans Pennine Trail) on my bike especially if NorthernFail is up to its usual Saturday standard, although the times of the special bus would leave time for a pint at Urmston in each direction.

I've just checked the emergency timetable for tomorrow and I would be out for nearly 10 hours to travel and get 3 hours at the venue.

Hopefully this year will see some good numbers through the door.

As an EMGS member I'm a little concerned about this comment, what do other EMGS members who have attended the show think? Edited by PenrithBeacon

• RMweb Gold

As an EMGS member I'm a little concerned about this comment, what do other EMGS members who have attended the show think?

As an EMGS member also, I fully concur with Tony, I'm a little concerned hardly anybody shows up.

It's perhaps because there aren't enough carers to go round maybe?

Mike.

As an EMGS member I'm a little concerned about this comment, what do other EMGS members who have attended the show think?

I think it is the old "how long is a piece of string question". If there was a definitive answer, model railways shows would be filled to overflowing. Speaking from a purely personal point a view I think it is one of the best (and friendliest) shows on the circuit but it has never managed to settle since it's move across the Pennines. The Partington venue if you a coming across the M62 from the East is a bit strange to get to and will punters this year have to battle with the Saturday footballers?

A valid question but It probably warrants a thread all of it's own. 

• RMweb Premium

The bus timetable seems to only cater for people who are travelling from manchester. Those using the WCML, on a train TO manchester have to wait for about 35 minutes each end?

With the strike, I can only travel from Warrington Central having to walk from Warrington Bank Quay. Is there any other way to get there from Urmston?

Thanks

Ian in Blackpool

• RMweb Gold

I think it is the old "how long is a piece of string question". If there was a definitive answer, model railways shows would be filled to overflowing. Speaking from a purely personal point a view I think it is one of the best (and friendliest) shows on the circuit but it has never managed to settle since it's move across the Pennines. The Partington venue if you a coming across the M62 from the East is a bit strange to get to and will punters this year have to battle with the Saturday footballers?

A valid question but It probably warrants a thread all of it's own. 

Preferably on the EMGS website, where, in theory at least, more members reside.

Mike.

Gratuitous Selnec link https://www.flickr.com/photos/23207961@N07/albums/72157622616858411 

Partington is the location because the more motorway friendly location of George H Carnall is a politcal football which is either staying open/being demolished or turned into a basketball (netball for boys) hall.

If you stick with Partington then one day the road will be improved as it's to home to hundreds of new homes as Shell slowly give up their land.

I'll be there tomorrow for my regular visit to my local show. 

The bus timetable seems to only cater for people who are travelling from manchester. Those using the WCML, on a train TO manchester have to wait for about 35 minutes each end?

With the strike, I can only travel from Warrington Central having to walk from Warrington Bank Quay. Is there any other way to get there from Urmston?

Thanks

Ian in Blackpool

The 255 bus from outside the Manchester bound platform goes to Partington, you can also pick up the 255 from Flixton station.

https://www.tfgm.com/public-transport/bus/routes/255-manchester

Edited by woodenhead