• RMweb Gold

The bus timetable seems to only cater for people who are travelling from manchester. Those using the WCML, on a train TO manchester have to wait for about 35 minutes each end?

With the strike, I can only travel from Warrington Central having to walk from Warrington Bank Quay. Is there any other way to get there from Urmston?

Thanks

Ian in Blackpool

As the revised hourly service only works for arrivals in one direction and as the majority come via Manchester I choose to meet the trains arriving from Manchester.

Then again it will all be irrelevant if there are no trains!

Edited by Peter Crichton (Savoyard)

As the revised hourly service only works for arrivals in one direction and as the majority come via Manchester I choose to meet the trains arriving from Manchester.

Then again it will all be irrelevant if there are no trains!

The 255 bus comes all the way from Manchester Piccadilly bus station if there are no trains and you arrive by TPE, Cross Country, East Midlands or Virgin.

• RMweb Gold

I think it is the old "how long is a piece of string question". If there was a definitive answer, model railways shows would be filled to overflowing. Speaking from a purely personal point a view I think it is one of the best (and friendliest) shows on the circuit but it has never managed to settle since it's move across the Pennines. The Partington venue if you a coming across the M62 from the East is a bit strange to get to and will punters this year have to battle with the Saturday footballers?

A valid question but It probably warrants a thread all of it's own. 

Partington is a strange place to get to wherever you live, probably even in Partington itself. 

I'm not a member but have been to about 5 of the shows in recent years since I found out about it purely by accident.

I go because you always get about 10 of the best layouts around and the trade support is good. There are at least six people on my shopping list for tomorrow, and others my have things I see and think that's just what I need to finish that job so the savings on postage pay for the entrance.

I think the advertising is a bit thin, as I end up having to search for dates if I want to know well in advance because of fitting in other commitments. I don't know what the answer is, but perhaps better advertising would help get a few more through the door and possibly generate more membership.

Using out of town sports centres can be a downer as Manchester found when their show moved from the Co-op in the city centre to Fallowfield.

Fortunately this year we won't have to fight through the football traffic on the motorway as it is an International fixture weekend.

Fortunately this year we won't have to fight through the football traffic on the motorway as it is an International fixture weekend.

It wasn't the big boys teams that I was thinking about. It was the extra foot fall and take up of parking that the regular Saturday football teams that use the Partington Centre (and quite rightly so) that caused a bit of a hoo hah the first year the EMGS visited.

Finding a suitable venue at a reasonable cost must be one of the biggest headaches that show (and potential show) organisers  face nowadays.

Edited by Porcy Mane

One of my "must attend" shows. Always a selection of interesting layouts. The traders are a bg attraction as well. Two traders in particular will have a lot of my folding stuff this weekend. My only problem is I'm working Saturday so I will not be there until Sunday and all the choice items on the members sales stand will be long gone. Agree the location is far from ideal.

• RMweb Gold

It wasn't the big boys teams that I was thinking about. It was the extra foot fall and take up of parking that the regular Saturday football teams that use the Partington Centre (and quite rightly so) that caused a bit of a hoo hah the first year the EMGS visited.

Finding a suitable venue at a reasonable cost must be one of the biggest headaches that show (and potential show) organisers  face nowadays.

Last time I ended up through the gates at the back of the school. There was quite a lot of space, but it depends on the gate between the two sites being open.

We just need that nice Mr Fishwick to operate the layout  for an hour (or three)

Tenuous link to a tenuous link.

Anybody know if the Live steamers are operating at Urmston?

As long as its got a rear platform that I can dangle off to view the local lamp standards I'm happy.

attachicon.gifUrmstonLampStd-01-EditSm.jpg

P

That nice Mr Fishwick was rather hoping you would give a hand operating Kinmundy, which is right next to Croft Depot. I have got my hands full trying to keep Mr Jones on the straight and narrow, without having to look after his layout. Mind you I have been running it in his absence for years waiting for him to come back in an hour...

• Like 1

no, go back to bed, you've got to get up at 5 and you'll only be grumpy if you don't get enough sleep...

It's Mr. Be-Carefull that'll be grumpy. He was expecting you at four!  (04:00 hours)

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

I haven't been for several years as it is a nine hour round trip (or two four and a half hour trips with an overnight hotel room). It is, from feedback here and elsewhere, still one of the better 4mm scale shows, both for layouts and traders. 

However, Partington is still one of my less favourite venues which make the trip even less enjoyable, despite the effort the EMGS put into holding the show there. 

• RMweb Gold

I haven't been for several years as it is a nine hour round trip (or two four and a half hour trips with an overnight hotel room). It is, from feedback here and elsewhere, still one of the better 4mm scale shows, both for layouts and traders. 

However, Partington is still one of my less favourite venues which make the trip even less enjoyable, despite the effort the EMGS put into holding the show there. 

Or, for some of us, a nine hour round trip spread over 4 days with 3 nights accomodation, not helped by the fact that S4um is in the same month, so last year it was Partington, this year it is Aylesbury.

Mike.

Annual pilgrimage to Partington (normally I get through as quick as the speed limit will let me).

Very good selection as always including a real tide on the 7mm guest layout.

post-165-0-33040100-1536415346_thumb.jpg

This is Tollesbury Quay

post-165-0-57512300-1536415426_thumb.jpg

post-165-0-98257300-1536415461_thumb.jpg

post-165-0-16264000-1536415492_thumb.jpg

Hartburn

post-165-0-58945200-1536415558_thumb.jpg

post-165-0-49601700-1536415606_thumb.jpg

Rolleston on Dove

post-165-0-02075200-1536415625_thumb.jpg

Waterloo Street

post-165-0-03341900-1536415652_thumb.jpg

post-165-0-05048400-1536415696_thumb.jpg

Easingwold East

post-165-0-98600800-1536415720_thumb.jpg

Whithorn

post-165-0-66193500-1536415745_thumb.jpg

Croft Depot

post-165-0-07812300-1536415765_thumb.jpg

Kinmundy

post-165-0-01281600-1536415825_thumb.jpg

post-165-0-54104200-1536415840_thumb.jpg

Leeman Road

post-165-0-75990500-1536415861_thumb.jpg

Glaisden

post-165-0-51188300-1536415886_thumb.jpg

post-165-0-80773000-1536415904_thumb.jpg

Three Score Vale

post-165-0-79344000-1536415931_thumb.jpg

Picked up a few kits and got some inspiration, also was shown that scratch building doesn't have to be hard, although I suspect the chap who built Croft is rather modest about his skill.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Excellent show as usual with the added bonus for me that the weather seemed to have kept a lot of people off the roads so I got a clear run going and only took 5 minutes longer to get back. Quality of layouts excellent as usual, the working estuary tide on the guest layout was a bit beyond special.

Budget spent (and a bit more) so have what I need to complete a few on-going projects and stocked up for the next winter jobs. Even got an idea of what to do with a presently redundant loco instead of selling it.

Thanks for a well spent day chaps.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Premium

Well I had a brilliant few hours there today. Many thanks to the organisers. Collected a toll bridge ticket on theRixton to Warburton ship canal bridge, almost unique now!

Met up with many good friends and have arranged a lift to Aylesbury later in the month to boot!

Money spent etc.

Had to drive in the end as the train situation was so poor at my end that I would not have arrived before about 1300 and I have a son's birthday meal tonight so needed to get back pronto too.

Great show, great layouts, and especially liked the open feel of the 7mm one, don't get that too often, friendly traders; looking forward to a more accessible place next year, or at least the Northern Train situation to have been resolved.

Thanks once again for all the travel suggestions.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by ianmaccormac
  • Like 1