Brymbo Steelworks: Locos used on line up through Lodge from Wrexham

narrowman

Can anyone point me to a list of locomotives used on this line, as I'm considering constructing a layout based on the view from this line with the steelworks in the background, as nearly all of it has now been demolished - even the ground underneath it was subject to opencast coal mining!!!) - apart from the few buildings now being saved by Brymbo Heritage Project (http://www.brymboheritage.co.uk/)

Kind regards,

Tony

What era are you interested in ? If BR blue, 'Looking Back at Class 24 and 25 locos (Kevin Derrick, Strathwood 2014), which I was flicking through the other day, has pictures of 24081 on a train of 16T minerals at Brymbo, and 24073 stabled at Croes Newydd.

Steam and diesel from 1950 to closure, but especially 1965-68

I moved to Coedpoeth in 1984 and could watch the 24/25s (and I think a 47?) heading towards Brymbo from my upstairs window.

Tony

Edited by narrowman

Steam and diesel from 1950 to closure, but especially 1965-68

i lived in Coedpoeth from 1984 and could watch the 24/25s (and I think a 47?) heading towards Brymbo from my upstairs window.

Tony

https://m.facebook.com/brymboheritageproject/ - might give you a more enlightened look at what's going on (along with a narrow gauge railway!

• Like 1

Although I moved back to the area in 1984, I originally lived  in Wrexham and the group I was in ("The Take") used to practise in the Methodist Chuch in Lodge during 1965 (just opposite where the road came down from the level crossing) and often enjoyed steam locos hauling their loads up the hill into Brymbo. 

Later, when I had an Advertising Agency, Brymbo Steelworks were one of my clients, along with Cable Street. In those days, there were lots of Class 24/25 diesels around, along with Brymbo's internal diesel locos. I just wished I took some photographs!!!

Tony

There is some film of the line - but this particular one is from the mid-60s when steam was in rapid decline. 

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-minera-mineral-1965-online

Hi, jonny, Thanks for that, I hadn't seen it before, although I had seen the SLS tour, through Brymbo and Coedpoeth up to Minera.

When I was with a Jazz/Blues group, we used to practise in one of the houses by the Hoffman Kiln. There were two diesel shunters, which I think were called Pinky and Percy. I was told that they went to Southport (Steamport?) after the quarry lines were lifted. I'm considering constructing a layout based on one of the level crossings, with a fiddle yard each end... Berwig Halt might be suitable as the railway used to curve away both sides... I'll pop up there over the weekend, as it's a nice walk and the pub (Tyn y Capel) is very nearby...

Tony

Tony,

If you're only going top model one of the level crossings, surely, you only want the pannier tanks working in the area?

During 1955/6 the following pannier tanks were at Croes Newydd:-

1635 1646 1660 4617 4645 4683 5416 5742 5774 6404 6405 6422 7403 7409 7414 7433 7440 7442 7443

9669 9793

You haven't stated what gauge you'll be using.

The proposal of a crossing has little operational interest. Have you thought of modelling Coedpoeth; 'not big, but has a run-round function, plus passenger possibilities. I could give you an 0-gauge scale drawing of the building, for laser cutting. 

I've an 0-gauge scaae model of Rhostyllen Station, laser-cut from a drawing. However, whilst the platforms are of a reduced scale length, extra trackwork has been incorporated for greater operational possibilities.

There were two SLS Specials on the branch; the first on 06/09/1952 was a joint venture with the MLS, whereas the second on the 18/08/1959 was solely an SLS Railtour. There  was an REC special later (img715), but I've a feeling it only went to Brymbo.  See the third picture taken at Wrexham Exchange; whilst I took the picture, I couldn't afford the fare.

I've many photographs in/around Brymbo in 1965, but they largely feature the heavier freight locomotives.

I'm from The Rhos, and left the area on St. David's Day 1975.

If you 'phone me on 0161 439 4849 I may be of more help to you.

In the meantime, hopefully, there's a picture (img692) of a freight approaching the turn-back to the steelworks at Brymbo Middle Box, sometime in 1965....I'd have to look it up! And, not forgetting the banker (img693)! Due to my lack of familiarity with this site, I deleted img692, and had to reinstate it. Hence it being in the wrong order.

Peter Prydderch 

post-21150-0-41624100-1529610667_thumb.jpg

post-21150-0-17323000-1529610921_thumb.jpg

post-21150-0-92270100-1529611135_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi, jonny, Thanks for that, I hadn't seen it before, although I had seen the SLS tour, through Brymbo and Coedpoeth up to Minera.

When I was with a Jazz/Blues group, we used to practise in one of the houses by the Hoffman Kiln. There were two diesel shunters, which I think were called Pinky and Percy. I was told that they went to Southport (Steamport?) after the quarry lines were lifted. I'm considering constructing a layout based on one of the level crossings, with a fiddle yard each end... Berwig Halt might be suitable as the railway used to curve away both sides... I'll pop up there over the weekend, as it's a nice walk and the pub (Tyn y Capel) is very nearby...

Tony

Are you sure it wasn't 'Pinky' and 'Perky', after the two pigs in the 1960s children's' TV programme?

• RMweb Gold

Croes Newydd was a last haunt - along with Stourbridge - of ex GWR steam once the WR eradicated the filthy beasts (!) on December 31st 1965

So IIRC 16xx panniers and 56XX  tanking continued to tread the metals to Brymbo for a few more months after that date...

Phil 

Sorry Tony but they didn't come to us at Steamport.

Ray.

Unfortunately, I have no idea of what type diesel they were, so it makes it more difficult finding out where they went to and if they as still around? I was just told it was Southport, but it could have been Carnforth??? or anywhere |up North"???

Tony

Edited by narrowman

• 11 months later...

There's a few shots of locomotives working the Brymbo (and Minera) branches in the MNA's 'Never Again' - Volume Two. 

The dates given are all Spring 1966:

In March, p141/142, 48665 banked by 5605 (Ken Hale/Paul Riley) and p143, 48440 banked by 5605 (Paul Riley); plus also p143, 6697 in April (Derek Huntriss photo - and I think a similar photo of this working exists appearing in one of the Ian Allan A5-ish colour albums).  Ex-GWR 0-6-2Ts, 6697 and 5605 are noted as the last of the class in service, both withdrawn in May 1966.

On p144 and 145, especially cleaned by the MNA, a sparkling 9630 (carrying  a manufactured 9610 front numberplate!) appears on the Minera branch in May 1966 (Ken Hale photos) and p147 has 43088 on 8 wagons and a brake-van in April 1967.  p146 has 76040 slipping to a standstill in November 1966, after the Pannier tanks had been retired (both photos Ken Hale).

Hope this helps,

All the best, John.