'improving' Hornby Mk2s using only things around the home

Externally, given the brakes aren't really modelled at all in the modern sense, the only difference would be the doors in the end gangways. There were differences in the toilets too (slightly altered shape and 'modern' XP64 derived fittings against Mk.1 style) but that doesn't really show. In fact, coupled in the middle of the train the only other difference would be the number.

End doors: Mk.2  Mk.2a

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 5 months later...

Unfortunately it's stalled slightly, due to various reasons. I do keep looking at them and keep thinking 'I must get back to those again', so it's not through a lack of interest! I also wanted to sort out the desk area a bit first, to give me a bit more room to spread things out. I was hoping to find some kind of display stand type thing to store all of the paints on - my sister found a good one she was going to buy me from Amazon, but unfortunately they just took her money without actually sending anything. I keep meaning to email someone I know who makes baseboards etc to see if he can make one, but as of yet I haven't got round to it. I do apologise for the lack of updates, I do still keep looking for potential materials and I am still thinking of ideas, I just haven't been able to put them into practice yet, but hopefully over the next few weeks and months I can get back to them!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...

I do have a small update, but no further pics as nothing has 'changed' as such. When time allows, i've been removing the excess plastic from 2 more interiors so they match the state of the one featured in recent pictures - so I am doing a little bit here and there. However, unfortunately both of them snapped or came apart at their weakest point so will have to be repaired. It might be time to consider acquiring a couple more Mk2 interiors (of any type) to use as spares.

I'm also thinking about, and having a look for things I could possibly make the toilet cubicle shape out of, but I'm still not 100% sure if the cubicle shape is exactly the same as those depicted on the NSE diagrams mentioned upthread.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

I've been busy with the file this week, trimming more excess plastic from each of the interiors. Hopefully I can also get a bit more done next week - perhaps looking to create the toilet cubicles. I've got several ideas for things bubbling away, hopefully they will work as I envisage when I put them into practice!

However, I do have a question, does anyone know if the floor material and colour was the same in the vestibules of the coaches as it was in the main interior? As expected, I'm struggling for resource material that shows the vestibule and toilet areas - if anyone knows of any or can take a few quick snaps next time they are near a Mk2 it would be greatly appreciated!

OK, so a thought struck me this morning whilst looking at pictures of seating within Mk2s - why do I even need to try and work with the plastic moulded interior as a complete unit? Once I've covered over the various holes as much as practically possible, I'm going to attach the 'interior' directly to the chassis. Hopefully I can provide a photo update soon, once I've disassembled each interior unit!

• 2 months later...

First of all I apologise for the lack of updates on this - the hot summer months and things going on in and around the home has prevented me from doing anything with the coaches. Hopefully things are beginning to settle down a bit. The past couple of days I've been sanding down an underside bogie pivot hole to make it as flat as possible. Bit of a tedious process as I need to use a tiny scrap of sandpaper so I don't inadvertently sand down the edge of the frame, and can only do it in short bursts as I start to get a blister on my thumb/finger from the rubbing! This hole still needs a bit more work to make it as flat as possible, but this was the progress this morning:

001.jpg.212d11af5aad88a48fd2c75ce3981b21.jpg

As always, I'm always on the lookout for reference material of any sort if anyone knows of any!

Thanks.

7 hours ago, llamafish said:

First of all I apologise for the lack of updates on this - the hot summer months and things going on in and around the home has prevented me from doing anything with the coaches. Hopefully things are beginning to settle down a bit. The past couple of days I've been sanding down an underside bogie pivot hole to make it as flat as possible. Bit of a tedious process as I need to use a tiny scrap of sandpaper so I don't inadvertently sand down the edge of the frame, and can only do it in short bursts as I start to get a blister on my thumb/finger from the rubbing! This hole still needs a bit more work to make it as flat as possible, but this was the progress this morning:

As always, I'm always on the lookout for reference material of any sort if anyone knows of any!

Thanks.

I think I would have given up on the sanding. You've done well to keep at it. Don't you own a dremel (or similar) that could remove the bulk of the plastic, leaving you with only the last ~10% to sand away? Just a thought ...

• 2 weeks later...

Flat! Done a bit more rubbing down this afternoon, this is the end, and desired result. It's now completely flat, and you can barely tell there was a raised surface there now. I've been able to make a really good start on the opposite end too. This means I have 4 to start rubbing down, and 3 to 'improve' a bit!

001.jpg.c5128aad3ef841543bff7ad04edc72d3.jpg