Hornby Railroad 9F TTS fitting?

talbotsteve

Has anyone tried to fit the TTS 9f decoder and speaker to the DCC ready Hornby railroad 9f non crosti model? the tender still has the old motor casing in it even though it loco drive, and the speaker supplied by Hornby is too big for the loco??

Anyone found a way around it?

Service sheet 414 the only one listed for the Crosti 9f shows an empty tender with a round speaker mount moulded in with posts to relocate the decoder socket from the loco.

Rob

Service sheet 414 the only one listed for the Crosti 9f shows an empty tender with a round speaker mount moulded in with posts to relocate the decoder socket from the loco.

Rob

I have recently purchased a Hornby 9f Tts decoder and yes, opening up the loco found that the decoder socket is in the loco. To save lots of rewiring, are there any speakers, such as a sugar cube speaker, small enough to fit in the smoke box, which is completely empty?

I put a micro-cube on the shelf in front of the decoder socket on my Merch Navy and stuffed the TTS decoder in the smokebox.

Others have posted of putting a cube into the smokebox and the decoder in front of the socket on A1/3/4,etc.

Else extend the speaker wires back into the tender.

Rob

• Like 1

The most recent Railroad conventional 9F (R3288, Evening Star) has a plastic chassis tender with no electrical connections at all. Pickups and dcc socket are confined to the loco.  A previous 9F (black R2880) has a dcc socket in the loco and loco drive, with a dummy motor chassis in the tender with electrical pickups, which suffers from Mazak rot...

I was thinking of putting DCC in R3288, but I haven't opened the body up yet to see how much space there is.  However, you could probably get a small sugarcube speaker in there.

As far as the Crosti TTS sounds go, wouldn't the exhaust be a bit softer than a conventional 9F?  Seeing that there are no Crosties about, I should imagine that Hornby merely modified an ordinary 9F sound so the Crosti chip would probably be fine for general purposes.

• 6 months later...

Has anyone successfully fitted TTS in the Hornby Railroad Evening Star yet.

Mine is in pieces awaiting a decision on how to proceed.

in my version the tender has pickups and the moulded housing for a tender drive ( when I first saw it I thought it was a speaker housing, but alas no)

If I Dremel  off the existing strand-offs for the DCC plug in the loco, and hardwire the TTS decoder, it might fit, leaving me with just the speaker wires to run to the tender.  Don’t really want all those extra decoder wires running across to the tender.

Thoughts anyone?

Edited by Cantabrigian
Spelling error

Is the redundant motor housing hole of a size to accept the standard TTS speaker, mounted vertically sideways.. If so you could blank off the back side with plasticard to maximise the accoustics.

Memory of swapping ringfield workings for a DVD motor says it is 25mm ID but the TTS speaker is 28mm OD. May just fit with blak-tak.

Edit - if there is an 8-pin socket provided in the loco then there should be space for a TTS decoder, then just extend the seaker wires to the tender.

Rob

Edited by RAFHAAA96

Thanks Rob. Yes the motor housing in the tender is not quite right for the vertical mounting of the speaker, but some surgery will work.

The boiler area is very narrow so the TTS decoder looks to be a close fit. Might have to adjust the side exit speaker wires

Not sure if the decoder might fit vertically on its long side. Need to get out the calipers. But plan A is to find a way to keep the decoder in the loco

Peter

6712E71F-A25B-4D1E-B6F3-740C2F24DF1E.jpeg

283AE8DF-9E46-44D6-8D18-E1C6345A163E.jpeg

190E25AF-F6E6-419E-9C74-DA8EA82DE3AF.jpeg

B2AD2CA4-220F-4F43-A7B8-6319BC2652DB.jpeg

7A43ACFD-63E2-43CD-968D-991207EF4918.jpeg

Looks like a cube speaker would sit on that shelf above the tender towing pin.

To make more room for the decoder crop the socket mounting posts flush and have the socket loose, then maybe the socket and decoder would stand side by side on edge in the smoke box.

Rob

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

If I were doing it for my use I would hard wire the decoder in the loco, removing all the socket etc, this will leave room for a stay alive cap in the smokebox. Now for the bit that makes @pauliebanger shudder ....

Junk the tender pickups, cut down the tender chassis block to make room for an ABS 229 speaker and then use the tender to loco pin wiring to pass the speaker feeds from the decoder to it. There is a small risk of a short circuit on the tender pin blowing the decoder if you disconnect the tender from the loco with power applied, but I have successfully run this arrangement on my Hornby 8F for ages without issue.

Here's how it all fitted in on my Golden Arrow/Railroad 9F Crosti

Crosti_cutaway.jpg.adfe912cacb36de30698b87d8e005a07.jpg

although in this build I used a "full Fat" tender chassis that uses the 2 pin connector to the chassis, so I wired the matching plug to the loco, again junking the tender pickups in favour of using the wiring to get the speaker feeds to the tender.

DSC01830.jpg.c031d3080e0d243393453c7547ab22f2.jpg

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Informative/Useful 1

I wouldn't rely on the tender/loco pin to carry the speaker, it would be more sensible to source some micro-connectors from ebay to electrically connect the loco to the tender.  If you want to keep the tender pickups then get a 4-way connector, otherwise a 2-way connector would suffice.

With a 4-way connector, you could keep the decoder in the tender, just like Hornby do...

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I wouldn't rely on the tender/loco pin to carry the speaker, it would be more sensible to source some micro-connectors from ebay to electrically connect the loco to the tender.

Like I said, I would not do this commercially, would not want to pass the risk onto someone else. It does work though in my experience. Here's what I do to make up 2 pin connectors to pass speaker wires to tenders:

I use something like this:

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/1-1571994-0?qs=sGAEpiMZZMs%2FSh%2Fkjph1ttUeWr7m97n0tpT6yrESsIE%3D

cut into 2 pin sections. solder wires into the cup on one side and to the pins on the other with a bit of black heatshrink to insulate. Really cheap and small. I find that a lot of the commercial 2 and 4 pin connectors on eBay have far too thick wires for this application.

• Informative/Useful 1