Alpine/Swiss backscenes for HOm layout

Talbotjohn

Hi, I am looking for suitable backscenes for my RhB layout in HOm. I envisage the trackwork is on the valley floor so fir trees and distant mountains would be good. I looked at Peco,Gaugemaster and Noch listings but couldn't see anything suitable. Any suggestions please?

• RMweb Gold

I may have some that you can have. Will have to check.

But generally these days you can get a much better result by having a print made from a photo. Get the printer to dull down the colours a bit so it fades nicely as a backscene.

Photo backscenes are the best way forward but I have just checked on the Gaugemaster website and they have three Vollmer mountain backscene types in stock.

Not particularly cheap but I have used them before and have been pleased with the results because they are not too shiny or have bright colours.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to reply with your recommendation and advice. I have looked at the Vollmer backscenes on the Gaugemaster (UK) site and these look to be a quick win.

I had the Vollmer "Alpine Backscene" ref 46106 in mind but will look again for the Faller Oberstdorf background as it looks very impressive on Kevin's model. At 2.66 metres by 0.8 metres tall the Vollmer Alpine backscene will cover the length of the scenic section of the layout I am building. I think I would need to suspend it at the rear of the layout on some sort of frame or off a lighting gantry and operate from the front as the top would be above my head! 

I used a Faller 180516 Oberstdorf background for my small HOm layout. 

Kevin

attachicon.gifBackdrop-Bemo.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to reply with your recommendation and advice. I have looked at the Vollmer backscenes on the Gaugemaster (UK) site and these look to be a quick win.

I had the Vollmer "Alpine Backscene" ref 46106 in mind but will look again for the Faller Oberstdorf background as it looks very impressive on Kevin's model. At 2.66 metres by 0.8 metres tall the Vollmer Alpine backscene will cover the length of the scenic section of the layout I am building. I think I would need to suspend it at the rear of the layout on some sort of frame or off a lighting gantry and operate from the front as the top would be above my head! 

Hi

I took Kevin's recommendation in the end and got the Faller Oberstdorf backscene. It arrived from Gaugemaster today. It is not so high so I can see over the top if operating the layout from behind and there is an extension sheet I can get if I decide to extend the length of my layout.

Best Wishes

John

• Like 1