Gort Station

NoelG

More running tests today to test wiring of power and point motors. Discovered one minor problem, a 2 inch dead section I'd forgotten a dropper for, easily added and connected to the nearest DCC dropper board. Test below of DCC switch encoder from DCC concepts. Their AEU allows any type of switch to remotely control any DCC accessory decoder on the layout. I chose this method so that my lever switch frame could be portable, and plug into the cab bus anywhere on the layout. Saves wiring looms running all over the place. Saves time. Only eating the pudding will tell how well this will stand the test of time, but so far impressed with the massive amount of wiring work this Cobalt eco system saves and how easy it is to get it all connected together.

Today was spent testing the wiring. First a comprehensive test with an Ammeter revealed one small snag which was easily rectified. Then test with DCC track bus enabled and DCC cab bus enabled. The Cobalt eco system can connect directly to the NCE cab bus. Impressed how easy the DCC concepts Cobalt eco system is to set up and especially impressed how much it simplified and reduced the amount of wiring needed. Saved me literally days of work. The less wiring there is the less there is to go wrong. The Cobalt ADfx8 accessory decoder and Cobalt AEU are the back bone of the system. Can work with ant switch type or any pain motor type, but I opted for Cobalt IP Analog point motors (stall type). Now I can switch points either from the NCE cab control using the accessory mode, or by physically operating switches which I prefer.

• Like 1

Play time! Took a break from construction today to play and try some shunting and test track, point motors and uncoupling magnets. Now that wiring is proven ok, after sufficient play time can proceed to next phase of scenics.

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 5

On 04/05/2021 at 12:40, Georgeconna said:

Looks like you are having fun Noel. Will you be weathering down the track a bit?

Funny you should mention that :) 

IMG_0964.JPG

IMG_0967.JPG

Snag markers placed where touching up needed

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Got some more snagging out done with touch ups to ballasting areas I was not happy with

IMG_1114.JPG

I may leave some of the fresh ballast unweathered for authenticiity

IMG_1113.JPG

Finally got the platforms masked up so that ballast could be laid right up to the platform edges. The platforms are designed to be removable using magnets. Now ready to start the messy bit.

IMG_1110.JPG

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

The greening of Gort has started. First steps, pasture and simulated dry stone walls typical of rocky Co Galway. Lots more to do with foliage, hedgerows and some trees.

spacer.png

Plaster cloth over foam base for shaping

spacer.png

Painted acrylic plaster brown as base for static grass.

spacer.png

Ready for static grass and paths.

spacer.png

Dry stone walls simulated from foam strips sanded to create rough stone effect.

spacer.png

Pleased it has a hint of Connemara about it. Lots more to do.

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Slow but steady progress. Lots more to do to blend it in with some foliage, hedgerows and trees. All in good time. Pleased the simulated dry stones walls typical of Connemara worked out better than I'd expected.

IMG_1662.JPG

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

9 hours ago, NoelG said:

Slow but steady progress. Lots more to do to blend it in with some foliage, hedgerows and trees. All in good time. Pleased the simulated dry stones walls typical of Connemara worked out better than I'd expected.

IMG_1662.JPG

W O W !!!!!!

6 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

Tastefully done and as always less is more cattle seem at home on the sparse grass but that is life!  What happens in the notch in the scenery just ahead of the loco, a hut perhaps ?

Thanks for showing 

Robert  

Cheers. A plate layers hut.

• Like 1

On 10/07/2021 at 21:55, Robert Shrives said:

Tastefully done and as always less is more cattle seem at home on the sparse grass but that is life!  What happens in the notch in the scenery just ahead of the loco, a hut perhaps ?

Thanks for showing 

Robert  

Lineside hut installed

IMG_1821.JPG

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1