Traincontroller vs i-train

LlandudnoJunction

I tried this when I was using TC and stopped using it as the icon was too small to be of use and took up space that could be more usefully filled with the train details.

iTrain provides a much cleaner screen without icons on the switchboard (layout screen) making identification of trains much easier.

• 2 years later...

I have been using TC Gold for many years.  I was staggered to see the current pricing and would not be using the software if I had to buy it now.  That said it is a very good piece of software and accommodates a wide range of products.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Gdaysydney said:

I have been using TC Gold for many years.  I was staggered to see the current pricing and would not be using the software if I had to buy it now.  That said it is a very good piece of software and accommodates a wide range of products.

Ditto - also notable is the big hike in price for UK customers compared to other countries.  I also note there have been no new updates or innovations for quite a long time now.  If it was to meet its demise I'd be unhappy to move to something else now after years of investment in it - not to mention losing all the time and effort spent getting everything operational using the advanced techniques available.

Cheers ... Alan

• Agree 1

On 03/07/2021 at 08:27, Alan Kettlewell said:

Ditto - also notable is the big hike in price for UK customers compared to other countries.  I also note there have been no new updates or innovations for quite a long time now.  If it was to meet its demise I'd be unhappy to move to something else now after years of investment in it - not to mention losing all the time and effort spent getting everything operational using the advanced techniques available.

Cheers ... Alan

it’s plain and simple he does not want to sell to uk users, although it’s a great program it is dated in software terms and anyone who would pay nearly a thousand dollars for it would need there head examining. Then there is the issue of how long will it work on future versions of windows. Then there is the issue of anything untoward happens to the developer he is no spring chicken like most of us, what then for the future. I think it days are numbered just look how often an update is released these days.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 years later...

Just kicking off this topic again.  

We (Redruth MRC) are going to run a large exhibition layout with 110 points, 30  3 aspect signals and 16 uncouplers.  We need route setting and train block detection (chiefly to allow the signals to operate prototypically).

We have purchased a Roco z21 10820, a Yamorc YD8116 and a Yamorc YD6016ES-CS to get us started.  We plan to build a small test layout so that we can get used to the system.

We are now some 2.5 years after the last post in this chat and wonder how itrain compares with train controller now.

Any advice much appreciated.

• RMweb Gold

Well, I’ve purchased and started to use iTrain last year, and tbh, the decision regarding iTrain v Traincontroller was a no-brainer based on what I could only call less than positive feedback from those more knowledgable than me, concerning the customer/user support relationships of TC. (As described in this thread, and elsewhere). Whilst there maybe some swings and roundabouts in capability/ functionality, as a new user, I did not wish to invest in a product where it seemed the supplier made it difficult to buy, and therefore I worried, also difficult to get support.

My limited but positive experience of the iTrain support forum tells me I made the right decision. (No connection other than etc…)

43 minutes ago, mevaman1 said:

We plan to build a small test layout so that we can get used to the system.

That’s exactly what I did - thoroughly recommended.

Good luck

Ian

• Like 2

iTrain v6 is also being developed as I type this but iTrain v5.x is still getting maintenance updates to add new command station and fix issues created by OEM updating or changing functionality. The main focus is on developing the new version which will be another step forward in the iTrain evolution.

I cannot see a reason not to use iTrain when starting afresh, I agree that it may me a transition not worth starting if you are already a TC users, but when you don't have anything today I would definitely go with iTrain -0 if only for an approachable developer who is actually interested in supporting his customers and the model railway community with an easy to use product that can run on Apple, Wintel, Linux, Pi, - and I am sure that there are some homebrew systems out there that would be able to run it also 😂

• Like 1

As a current TC user I decided to invest in ITrain to see if it was viable to migrate over, previously this would have been extremely difficult to integrate I train into the layout. As I’m now starting a massive rebuild after extending the railway room it is my intention to develop both programs side by side so a direct comparison can be made, this really only applies to basic functions and not advanced features and the ease of implementation of features you require. It would be unfair to compare there advanced features due to the various differences between these programs,  hopefully I will be able to define for TC users if the program becomes unusable in the windows environment. But i have to agree I train would be a better choice when starting out with train control software.

• Informative/Useful 1