Hal'o the Wynd

Can anyone help with information regarding Ivatt A1 pacific "60161", "Hal'o the Wynd"

Where was it based and was it named when it was in British Railways Blue? aboutm 1949/50

cheers

Hi,I don't know about it's base as I can't find my shed books! I don't remember ever seeing it in blue but have you got the right loco? 60161 was North British, Hal o'the Wynd was 60116.

Cheers

Pete

Checked out Yeadons and 60116 Hal o' the Wynd was introduced in Oct '48 but wasn't named until May '51. It was originally shedded at Heaton. It went to Tweedmouth in Sept '62 and finally Gateshead in Oct '64.

As far as livery was concerned it was originally in LNER green with BRITISH RAILWAYS on the tender. 60127,28, 29 and 60153-60162 were launched in blue. The 36 locos that were originally in green changed to blue sometime between Sept '49 and June '51. The blue livery was discarded from August '51.

Can anyone help with information regarding Ivatt A1 pacific "60161", "Hal'o the Wynd"

Where was it based and was it named when it was in British Railways Blue? aboutm 1949/50

cheers

A1 pacific 60116 was a PEPPERCORN A1, not an Ivatt loco at all.

My info is that it was allocated to Heaton from new, then went to Gateshead, where it was withdrawn in 1965, one of the last to go.

I have a rather nice b&w photo of it at Doncaster Plant, circa 1963, if you are interested, but it's on my home computer and I'm not home until 17th April.

My info is that it was allocated to Heaton from new, then went to Gateshead, where it was withdrawn in 1965, one of the last to go.

I have a rather nice b&w photo of it at Doncaster Plant, circa 1963, if you are interested, but it's on my home computer and I'm not home until 17th April.

Hal o' the Wynd was painted in BR Blue in March 1950, it was named in May 1951 and given BR Green livery in August 1952, so yes, it did run in BR Blue with nameplates. (Source, RCTS "Green Bible" Part 2A.

gresley

Oh god I'm not on form at all... another simple mistake I keep making! Again I know 60123 was named "H.A Ivatt" and Ivatt was a GNR designer (I think!) and the A1's looked quite utilitarian...like Ivatt designed locos!!! (another fav or mine!) I'm not an incompetent fool!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you could with the picture I would be incredibly greatful thank you.

Thanks for the info though smile.gif

Cheers Gresley smile.gif That's a massive help and 5XP thanks but can't see it properly atm but I'll check out when it can cheers mate smile.gif

So here it is

60116 - "Hal'o the Wynd" ran from Heaton, named in BR blue between May 1951 - August 1952

Thank you so much guys smile.gif

The only other thing I would like to ask anyone who may know at all but during that time did it have shedpaltes attached or did it have the allocation name written on the bufferbeam?

Oh god I'm not on form at all... another simple mistake I keep making! Again I know 60123 was named "H.A Ivatt" and Ivatt was a GNR designer (I think!) and the A1's looked quite utilitarian...like Ivatt designed locos!!! (another fav or mine!) I'm not an incompetent fool!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you could with the picture I would be incredibly greatful thank you.

Thanks for the info though smile.gif

Cheers Gresley smile.gif That's a massive help and 5XP thanks but can't see it properly atm but I'll check out when it can cheers mate smile.gif

So here it is

60116 - "Hal'o the Wynd" ran from Heaton, named in BR blue between May 1951 - August 1952

Thank you so much guys smile.gif

The only other thing I would like to ask anyone who may know at all but during that time did it have shedpaltes attached or did it have the allocation name written on the bufferbeam?

Once again you have failed to beat the team, and therefore you forfeit the winnings.

!!!!!!

Although I have not found any mention specifically regarding the A1s, I have found the following:

"From September 1949 the shed name was superseded by the fitting of elliptical cast-iron plates on th smokebox door showing the BR shed code number." This is quoted from the RCTS Locomotives of the LNER, Part 2A.

This relates to the Class A3 locos, but it can be assumed that it applied to others as well. See notes below.

Although British Railways was formed on 1st Jan 1948, it was not finally agreed until 1949, what codes should be issued to the Eastern Region sheds. Therefore no shed code plates could be produced and used until the allocation of codes was publicised. Therefore, to the best of my knowledge, no shed code plates were fitted before September 1949.

This is taken from BR Steam Motive Power Depots, ER, by Paul Bolger, pub by Ian Allan 1982.

I assume therefore that 60116 Hal o' the Wynd would have received its Shed Code plate at its next visit to works, unless the plates were distributed to the various sheds for local fitting. There does not appear to be any record of this.

gresley

Sorry to disagree,but the information I have is exactly the same as GordonS.In fact during September 1962 Ten Pepprcorn A1's were transferred to 52D Tweedmouth ready for the start of the Winter Timetable. They were :- 60116,60127,60129,60132,60137,60142,60143,60147,60151 & 60155.

My information is taken from a book calledBR Steam Shed Allocations. Part Six. North Eastern Region Sheds by P.B.Hands. Defiant Publications.

Once again you have failed to beat the team, and therefore you forfeit the winnings.

!!!!!!

Although I have not found any mention specifically regarding the A1s, I have found the following:

"From September 1949 the shed name was superseded by the fitting of elliptical cast-iron plates on th smokebox door showing the BR shed code number." This is quoted from the RCTS Locomotives of the LNER, Part 2A.

This relates to the Class A3 locos, but it can be assumed that it applied to others as well. See notes below.

Although British Railways was formed on 1st Jan 1948, it was not finally agreed until 1949, what codes should be issued to the Eastern Region sheds. Therefore no shed code plates could be produced and used until the allocation of codes was publicised. Therefore, to the best of my knowledge, no shed code plates were fitted before September 1949.

This is taken from BR Steam Motive Power Depots, ER, by Paul Bolger, pub by Ian Allan 1982.

I assume therefore that 60116 Hal o' the Wynd would have received its Shed Code plate at its next visit to works, unless the plates were distributed to the various sheds for local fitting. There does not appear to be any record of this.

gresley

However, just to complicate things slightly. Notwithstanding the ubiquitous use of LMS style shedplates after 1949, ex LNER workshops in Scotland continued to paint the shed name on the bufferbeam right up to the end. Hence all my photos of Black Five 44703 show a neatly painted FERRYHILL on the front as well as the shedplate. I believe the same may also have been true in England.

That's a massive help and 5XP thanks but can't see it properly atm but I'll check out when it can cheers mate smile.gif

Are you typing the loco number in when you load the page? or are you having problems viewing the page?

Sorry to disagree,but the information I have is exactly the same as GordonS.In fact during September 1962 Ten Pepprcorn A1's were transferred to 52D Tweedmouth ready for the start of the Winter Timetable. They were :- 60116,60127,60129,60132,60137,60142,60143,60147,60151 & 60155.

My information is taken from a book calledBR Steam Shed Allocations. Part Six. North Eastern Region Sheds by P.B.Hands. Defiant Publications.

If you type the number into the loco allocation search on the link I have provided above in an earlier post it confirms this from 63 till 65 it was then allocated to Gateshead after that.

Prior to that it had been at Heaton from 1950ish

60116 Hal o' the Wynd (pronounced as in 'Wind up' not as in 'the wind is blowing') was allocated as follows:

Heaton 10/48 - 9/62

Tweedmouth 9/62 - 10/64

Gateshead 10/64 - 6/65

I tmight be more worthwhile if we all stayed with the original question, namely:

Where was 60116 Hal o' the Wynd stationed and was it named when in BR Blue livery, about 1949/50 ? and the subsequent question regarding its' Shed Code plate.

gresley

Oh my!!! I beleive this thread has been what is commonly known as hijacked!!!!

But please do continue to add your thoughts because this is proving to be quite an interesting learning session for me and hopefully others.

5XP I've just manged to get the site working now, it's brilliant!!!

For anyone who wants to know Heaton shed was 52B tongue.gif I've only just found that out!

On the subject I've just realised that my A3 60092 "Fairway" was also based at Heaton whilst in very early BRITSH RAILWAYS apple green livery :D... pity though that "Bittern" wasn't a Heaton Engine (though being an A4 I highly doubt it!) but it was an North Eastern Engine :D

Hi Again,

Bittern along with all of the North Eastern A4's was based at 52A Gateshead from at least January 1957 until November 1963 although I am pretty sure she was there for a long time proir to 1957.In case its of interest to you the others to be based there from January 1957 were :-60001,60002,6005,60016,60018,60020 & 60023. The common link was that they all had Non Corridor Tenders as they were never used under normal circumstances on the Non Stop Trains from Kings Cross to Edingburgh(for Obvious Reasons).They may have deputised for a failure, but I am unaware of those sort of facts. I apologise if this is not helpful,but that is my only intention to be constructive and helpful.

Regards.

Cheers Cutler, that was actually really good and informative, I didn't realise that all of Gateshead based A4's were non-corridor! What were the typical duties for these A4. I know possibly the Tees-Tyne Pullman and The Northumrian but was there any other major trains they pulled?

Cheers Cutler, that was actually really good and informative, I didn't realise that all of Gateshead based A4's were non-corridor! What were the typical duties for these A4. I know possibly the Tees-Tyne Pullman and The Northumrian but was there any other major trains they pulled?

The Queen of Scots seems a likely suspect, also named Newcastle boat trains such as The Scandinavian and The Norseman (though tank locos such as ex-NE Pacific types (A8??) dealt with the leg between Commission Quay [1] & Central). Must confess I'm not 100% sure how Class 1 passenger duties were divided up between Gateshead and Heaton, though I believe the latter provided most of the power (A3s) for the ex-LNER leg of Trans-Pennine services to/from Leeds City.

David

[1] Somewhat unrelated but Google dug up this interesting diesel-era scene: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/295404

Archived