Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Pylons .

I always thought that the Hornby kit was a deviation tower D30 but modelled with suspension insulators like a D2 tower. And scaled down accordingly. Great to see the proper scaled models wow wish I could build them like that.

Cheers Paul

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, pharrc20 said:

I always thought that the Hornby kit was a deviation tower D30 but modelled with suspension insulators like a D2 tower. And scaled down accordingly. Great to see the proper scaled models wow wish I could build them like that.

Cheers Paul

Probably the reason behind this choice was for stability as the standard tension towers are rather slim . However the Hornby version does possess latticework based around the tension prototype.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pharrc20 said:

Cheers Paul

Your Hornby adaptations show great observation/modelling skills, these could easily be utilised in recreating scale model versions .Using the engineers drawings as templates which are then brought up to scale I’ve found Plastruct/Evergreen Plastics work well . Starting with the front/back facings, girders are cut in groups of four sets for each side . Once completed the left/right sides are built up from the attached front/back facings. 

It takes time and rather a lot of fine tuning but building them really gives a structural insight to these towers.83D204E7-404C-44F0-B374-4B151D7D14CC.jpeg.56c5e6ad9f9186c8adf0141325338e4e.jpeg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Pylon King said:

Westwood/Margate 31006C85-E37D-44F7-AEBF-46C190442896.jpeg.c070e50a6d208a14ce11f11e46eb5d5c.jpeg89595BE7-2275-47A1-99A8-ABE3F73EDF9C.jpeg.55573b7c70d66bf629762de0b2c865cd.jpeg power line.

Cheers for that, that makes a lot more sense now. Now I might decide to make a 33kv terminal tower out of some Hornby bits (I’ll attach a photo of the one I want to model and a couple of others in the same area).

Best regards, Matthew

84D10AC3-18A4-4115-81E3-32AD398EF791.jpeg

621E6A1D-C879-44B6-BF20-66EA89B9ADD6.jpeg

1DEA77A0-A612-4EA7-9BD9-6181EB20AB73.jpeg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Pylon King said:

Approximately 45 feet in height this 33kV terminal/sealing end tower is probably nearly eighty years old.

2E23D8DF-49F5-4ED8-B210-1A6A24BC3886.jpeg

Nice to see one with a 'ski' on it. Only seen these on 33KV pylons. Some have one, some have two, and some have none and all appear to be just made up of what is lying around.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pylon King said:

Your Hornby adaptations show great observation/modelling skills, these could easily be utilised in recreating scale model versions .Using the engineers drawings as templates which are then brought up to scale I’ve found Plastruct/Evergreen Plastics work well . Starting with the front/back facings, girders are cut in groups of four sets for each side . Once completed the left/right sides are built up from the attached front/back facings. 

It takes time and rather a lot of fine tuning but building them really gives a structural insight to these towers.83D204E7-404C-44F0-B374-4B151D7D14CC.jpeg.56c5e6ad9f9186c8adf0141325338e4e.jpeg

Do you work starting with the square base section as shown glued to the four main legs then use smaller square section formers for want of a better description to keep the right shape as you go up the tower?

I am used to using Plastruct and Evergreen when doing my quarry buildings for my kit bashed Walthers buildings for my Speedlow layout and other wagon projects. Are there any common sizes to use for the main legs the primary and secondary cross bracing?

Cheers Paul

1 hour ago, pharrc20 said:

Do you work starting with the square base section as shown glued to the four main legs then use smaller square section formers for want of a better description to keep the right shape as you go up the tower?

I am used to using Plastruct and Evergreen when doing my quarry buildings for my kit bashed Walthers buildings for my Speedlow layout and other wagon projects. Are there any common sizes to use for the main legs the primary and secondary cross bracing?

Cheers Paul

I always start with a flat 2mm thick base , attach the corners , then the top horizontal and any other girders . This is placed over the template and Magic tape applied to keep the structure from moving . Once the front and back  are completed the side base sections are added (4mm shorter in width to form the square . The process is then repeated left and right , at various stages it’s worth detaching the model from the template and place over your cutting mat to check and maintain the towers symmetry. Once I’m happy that section is completed then the “X” girders are welded together. 

Regarding girder sizes - for the PL1 towers each corner comprises of Evergreen 2mm girders with Plastruct 1.2mm girders attached inside to add stability. The majority of the tower girders are again made from Plastruct 1.2mm “L” beams.       All the best, Paul.

20B8414A-EB6C-4FE2-A923-31F15FD83E01.jpeg.72ed325147d9fd65058165fa0710e014.jpeg9C85DA24-0CEA-432B-8AE4-08642AB6BEE5.jpeg.040077ef5613ab1949ac2e7e60d95c96.jpegE1E87EBC-4A1E-4723-A7DA-283B3013B308.jpeg.04611705852110d89730caab4210bbcc.jpeg

Edited by Pylon King
  • Like 5

Another part of the 1:76 scale collection features these Oxford Diecast Power Grid utility vehicles which are used  for running and maintaining British power lines and substations. The National Grid Transit van is due for release later this year. 7F87A9B4-D94B-4FCE-96C9-09512E85E775.jpeg.e1beb081ebd48b88fbb2ceb024c9d31d.jpeg

Edited by Pylon King
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, Pylon King said:

structural insight to these towers.

In my picture:

Pylons-3.jpg?i=979541754

What is the solid black bit towards the top of the left hand tower? Is it a platform or some sort of shear panel?

Richard

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RLWP said:

In my picture:

Pylons-3.jpg?i=979541754

What is the solid black bit towards the top of the left hand tower? Is it a platform or some sort of shear panel?

Richard

Probably a platform to enable work & equipment storage when required.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pylon King said:

Probably a platform to enable work & equipment storage when required.

Thank you

There do seem to be other platforms lower down, and this is a very tall tower!

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

3 hours ago, RLWP said:

Aha yes this is indeed a 90 degree turn but there is more to this arrangement. Originally in the mid 1950s the 275kV ZL code line was erected using then new L2 towers. In the 1960s another line was built using newer heavy duty L6 towers - these are the ones you see near the Great Central Railway line and they run from Ratcliffe Power station towards Leicester then head west towards Birmingham. At the point that the L2 and L6 lines would have crossed the two lines were altered to what you see today so that the L6 from Leicester is now joined to the southbound part of the L2 ZL line. Hence the northbound part of ZL is now joined to L6 heading towards B'ham. You can see this part on north side of motorway if not treed up now.

Cheers Paul

• Like 2

16 hours ago, pharrc20 said:

the L6 from Leicester is now joined to the southbound part of the L2 ZL line. Hence the northbound part of ZL is now joined to L6 heading towards B'ham. You can see this part on north side of motorway if not treed up now.

Cheers Paul

There is a nice view of this run from the Ashby Canal between Hinckley and Burton Hastings. 

Hopefully it's visible in these photos but how unusual us the arrangement where the lower voltage line splits into two and goes under the higher one...? I wasn't really paying alot of attention at the time, but might take the kids for a Picnic out there in the summer if it is a significant arrangement.

IMAG4260.jpg

IMAG4261.jpg

Screenshot_20190711-122313.png

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, 298 said:

There is a nice view of this run from the Ashby Canal between Hinckley and Burton Hastings. 

Hopefully it's visible in these photos but how unusual us the arrangement where the lower voltage line splits into two and goes under the higher one...? I wasn't really paying alot of attention at the time, but might take the kids for a Picnic out there in the summer if it is a significant arrangement.

IMAG4260.jpg

IMAG4261.jpg

Screenshot_20190711-122313.png

It is fairly common with 132kV or lower voltage lines diving under 275kV or above lines. There are a few places where 275s dive under 400s. Sometimes they just chop the lines around to suit.

Cheers Paul

• Thanks 1