Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Pylons .

• RMweb Gold

There is a warehouse building between the m42 and coleshill parkway that has had a good 20 metre or so removed from its whole length and a new gable end built, in its place now is a brand new pylon, it’s probably the one in the picture above 

edit: if fact if you look at the map above you can see a ghost road running through the “auria solutions” building which is the new gable end, the dark roof area of that building to the right is the bit that is now gone and the pylon is roughly where the lower of the 3 gables is 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, big jim said:

There is a warehouse building between the m42 and coleshill parkway that has had a good 20 metre or so removed from its whole length and a new gable end built, in its place now is a brand new pylon, it’s probably the one in the picture above 

It isn't. The shiny new one was over my left shoulder, this one is on the Birmingham side of the road

Richard

10 hours ago, big jim said:

The one I’ve seen is defiantly exactly where the map reference is, I’ll see if I can grab a pic tomorrow 

It is indeed exactly where you say, the picture is of one on the other side of the road. As I said, the one you describe was over my left shoulder when I took my picture

14 hours ago, big jim said:

This is what I was refuting

There's an awful lot of work going on in that area

Richard

• RMweb Gold

There certainly is, there is a row of cottages on the opposite side of the railway line to the new pylon that are being pulled down, they are really nice early 20th century buildings, just a shame they were right on the perimeter of the huge s**t farm at coleshill and now directly under a power line! 

Must be something major to warrant diverting the line I can see that M42 J8 is nearby so maybe they are putting another junction in or something near to where the A446 runs roughly north-south?

Cheers Paul

It's unlikely to be another road junction on the M42 as I suspect that the existing junction spacing is substandard or at least close to the minimum spacing in the design standards - ideally they should be about 2 km apart.  I think it's more likely to be some of the enabling works for HS2, which is to include a number of structures over the M42 - see https://highwaysengland.co.uk/regions/all-regions/?postcode=&keywords=&roads=M42&status=

That said, I'm not entirely familiar with the area.

• Thanks 1

Ah right makes sense. They tend to move lines years in advance of any major new roads or in this case HS2. Mind you the lines near me were altered in 1991 for the A6(M) bypass from Hazel Grove to Bredbury. Still waiting for it....

Cheers Paul

3 hours ago, big jim said:

Funnily enough just driven a train past it and there is a sign which says it’s to do with HS2 works 

Well, really! Knowing our interest in this, I do think they could have put that sign up sooner...

:D

Richard

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, RLWP said:

Well, really! Knowing our interest in this, I do think they could have put that sign up sooner...

:D

Richard

I didn’t even know it was coming that way until I had a look at the map linked to above! 

Some refurbishment work going on my local L2 line near to Middlewood station. Had a quick look tonight in between trains and the insulators have already been replaced the old ones having been on the towers since the line was erected in the late 1960s.

Cheers Paul 

20190717_175908.jpg

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Suzie said:

I have been trying to work out the age of pylons by their style. I guess that the ones with the middle arms longer are newer?

Hi Suzie, for the higher voltage lines that is somewhat true as the original 275kV designs used cross arms that were stacked on top like the L2 in my photo tonight and this is certainly true for the slighly earlier L66 design and the later L3 all of which look very similar at a glance.

The lower voltage 132kV tower designs from memory have always had longer middle cross arms and all of the PL range of towers designed by different companies follow that pattern (with one or two known exceptions.) Earlier and lower voltage designs usually operating up to 66kV mostly had longer middle cross arms too and some of these date from before the main National Grid built in the 1930s.

On the higher voltage lines especially the L2 design it was found it could under severe conditions be prone to conductor clashing where say the lower phase conductors would clash or touch the middle phase conductors leading to an instant circuit fault and outage. And so the solution was to make the middle cross arms longer and this I believe was initially tried out on a variant of the L3 design and even an L2 design some of which still exist near Coventry. And so the L8 was developed and these are what you see in the photo posts above of the new towers being erected near to Coleshill/Hams Hall where the line is to be diverted to make way for HS2. The heavy duty L6 designs all have longer middle cross arms as do the newest style of towers that were erected in the Scottish Highlands linking Beauly near Inverness to Denny near Bonnybridge.

HTH Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/08/2019 at 19:04, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

I took these a few months ago but here’s a low height L12 pylon crossing the ecml in Yorkshire, and a very weird looking thing too. Never seen that before and I have seen many pylons 

705F3A1F-3726-4AC2-AE76-E885D329DBDD.jpeg

FF911F15-0BD8-4E37-A801-04F407CA338B.jpeg

13E33610-1890-4D0A-B998-7FD523ADE5BE.jpeg

36B970D0-D9BA-4957-A7A2-D0D2C311B788.jpeg

B02B05BD-A64D-4048-AD83-0530A37BBA62.jpeg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Pylon King said:

B02B05BD-A64D-4048-AD83-0530A37BBA62.jpeg

I think you could build a better one, are there anymore on the to do list? Also I have some photos of Bramford substation while it was getting a little upgrade and some new towers were being erected as one of the BB L6 D60s was being replaced by some form of D60 or D90? I’ll attach a photo when I can find it.

best regards, Matthew

Edited by LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004
  • Like 1