Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Pylons .

2 hours ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Did you say it was O gauge with a Hornby Skaledale substation? Aren’t they 2 completely different scales? The layout is excellent though and although there’s no model pylons, at least there’s some reference to some being there like the back scene.

best regards, Matthew 

The last two photos featured a different layout in OO, although this one was also  based on an area around Manchester.

7 hours ago, Pylon King said:

The last two photos featured a different layout in OO, although this one was also  based on an area around Manchester.

Ah ok thanks for clarifying. Both the layouts look superb though. At one point I might make a layout based on woodhead but it will include a full size to scale Blaw Knox L6 pylon.

best regards, Matthew 

1 hour ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Ah ok thanks for clarifying. Both the layouts look superb though. At one point I might make a layout based on woodhead but it will include a full size to scale Blaw Knox L6 pylon.

best regards, Matthew 

I recall many years ago at Warley the N gauge  Woodhead tunnel layout  was there complete with an L6 , although at that scale the L6 was not quite fully detailed it was still an excellent model.

Edited by Pylon King

11 hours ago, Pylon King said:

I recall many years ago at Warley the N gauge  Woodhead tunnel layout  was there complete with an L6 , although at that scale the L6 was not quite fully detailed it was still an excellent model.

Ooh very nice. I’ll have to see if I can find any pictures of it. Well that’s just motivated me even more!!

best regards, Matthew 

2 hours ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Ooh very nice. I’ll have to see if I can find any pictures of it. Well that’s just motivated me even more!!

best regards, Matthew 

It did, but I don't believe it has a pylon on anymore.

The O scale layout is "Netherwood Sidings".

1 hour ago, 298 said:

It did, but I don't believe it has a pylon on anymore.

The O scale layout is "Netherwood Sidings".

From memory there  were two detailed Woodhead layouts  . One was north facing and featured the L6 tower/sealing station while the other was south facing  omitting  the L6 area.

1 hour ago, Pylon King said:

From memory there  were two detailed Woodhead layouts  . One was north facing and featured the L6 tower/sealing station while the other was south facing  omitting  the L6 area.

Now you mention it, that sounds more plausible as I thought the original layout had merely been extended. 

7 hours ago, Pylon King said:

Thank you .One of the many fascinating aspects in regard to these structures is how light can change and play with them.

I bet!! It must be interesting playing around with filters on these photos as well as different angles and focusing.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Pylon King said:

1971 Central Electricity Generating Board “Power Progress 13” booklet contained extensive information and photos covering the developing 400kV super grid .6E64853D-827D-4915-BC0A-7A0C7207A287.jpeg.9f6666137df757d890fb1b29f78d3054.jpegA3F1CC5E-D35D-4AA5-963D-C8D9BA023022.jpeg.9564076b807d414ccdd7becc70716af1.jpeg 

Would you mind sending me all the photos there are of L6/9 towers from this particular booklet?? I'm really interested in seeing historical photos of them all In the 60s and 70s

Kind regards, Felix

Edited by L2's are great!

One I've always been curious about is this: https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3220042 both runs are in a straight line, but the tower for the lower voltage on the left isn't orientated in line and has an extra set of arms but just for 1 circuit. I don't think it's because of the proximity of the road, plenty of space on Google earth for it to have been orientated in line. Could there have been a now removed junction or substation there? 

Screenshot_20191121-112918_Maps.jpg.097177f8ce1c9b72ef3da7e82a0dda3d.jpg

Any thoughts? Ta

On 21/11/2019 at 11:30, Satan's Goldfish said:

One I've always been curious about is this: https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3220042 both runs are in a straight line, but the tower for the lower voltage on the left isn't orientated in line and has an extra set of arms but just for 1 circuit. I don't think it's because of the proximity of the road, plenty of space on Google earth for it to have been orientated in line. Could there have been a now removed junction or substation there? 

Screenshot_20191121-112918_Maps.jpg.097177f8ce1c9b72ef3da7e82a0dda3d.jpg

Any thoughts? Ta

Hmmm interesting. I have seen that a few times on my trips to Norwich but like you I cannot find a reason why. It might be that there was a proposed new line branching from that tower and it was built with that in mind but never materialised like you said. I wouldn't think it'd be a substation because of the close proximity of the A47 and the L6 pylon (the larger ones).

All the best, Matthew

• Informative/Useful 1

I said you had started something a while back.

There is an interesting (to me at least)  array of pylons at the NEC by the M42 junction. 

Just caught a glimpse as I passed by in the half light at the weekend.  Never noticed them before.

I also have photos of some Polish examples, if anyone is intetrested I will download them from the camera.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/12/2019 at 17:47, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Saw this layout with some pylons at the Peterborough model railway exhibition. It’s the Severn Models kit but it certainly looks the part!

FDAA7F4B-EB0B-48AA-9D6A-D2ECF8C32498.jpeg

ABD9BAD9-62CD-4526-986F-10FD682227F1.jpeg

Oakley Green by Mudmagnet Models.    
Photoshopped pylons in the background are from the  BICC L6 Taunton to Indian Queens line.

Edited by Pylon King

6 hours ago, Pylon King said:

Oakley Green by Mudmagnet Models.    
The pylons photoshopped in the background are from the  BICC L6 Taunton to Indian Queens line.

Yep that’s the one! I thought it was one of the lines down south as they looked familiar.

all the best, Matthew