Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Pylons .

• RMweb Gold

I thought all  those well-secure small sub-stations came with a football in them now!

Kev.

(Very impressive indeed.)

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, SHMD said:

I thought all  those well-secure small sub-stations came with a football in them now!

Kev.

(Very impressive indeed.)

Good thinking , 1:76 scale football purchase now on the list along with  the mandatory frisbee .

• Funny 1

On 17/08/2019 at 20:26, pharrc20 said:

Yep the PL1 is called something like a D5S as those little extensions pointing down from the cross-arms allow a greater degree of angle change than the standard D2 suspension towers - I have seen one just like this near to Clifton substation just north of Salford on the Bolton line - you can see it in the distance behind HMP Forest Bank and I paid a visit to it a good few years ago and a chap on the PAS forum identified it as one of these D5 towers, although in this case it wasn't being used for its intended purpose. 

(my bold)

The absolute Britishness of this topic is captivating!  Could I ask though, what was this deviant pylon actually being used for if not its intended purpose?  Was it pouring tea, channeling spirits from the afterlife, or taking part in a drag race?

• Funny 5

2 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

(my bold)

The absolute Britishness of this topic is captivating!  Could I ask though, what was this deviant pylon actually being used for if not its intended purpose?  Was it pouring tea, channeling spirits from the afterlife, or taking part in a drag race?

The deviant pylon was it would seem had been demoted from being a D5S to just a lowly D2 based on field observations...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Probably not a true pylon, but I was hoping for some help from the knowledgeable people who post on this thread. There was an installation at Freshwater station on the Isle of Wight in the 1940's and/or early 1950's which appears in the blurry backgrounds of photographs of the station and trains. It appears to consist of two vertical poles, braced by two diagonal poles. Part way down, supported on cross members is what appears to be a transformer. A cross beam at the top has 4 sets of insulators (3 phase plus neutral?)  with more on a lower crossbeam.

Can anyone help with a clearer photo of a similar installation, or could someone please describe how the installation would be wired up. This will be prominent on the front edge of my layout, so I would like it to be as correct as possible.

Thanks in advance.

powerpole4.jpg.116d824212b7ba9dc8e2555e7188fac4.jpg

powerpole3.jpg.e1086e0382a83fad33b99f03b9563c5a.jpg

powerpole2.jpg.0c9f09d07b3bad99e783c84b6ea80526.jpg

powerpole5.jpg.eb68e7446ed76c734db947d5b25c4d27.jpg

powerpole1.jpg.b8f10cc01345aa352cce40928a4a3e6e.jpg

Edited by Ian Morgan
re-loaded images
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This may not be anything to do with pylons but I pass this when running Dominic to work, however saw an electricity company van outside it the other day

id just like to know what it is? It appears to have some sort of generator out back and an electricity pole in its vicinity, I did think it was maybe something to do with the ROC as hack green bunker isn’t far away but I can’t see any reference to it being military on various sites 

Dropped pin
Near Hatherton, Nantwich
https://goo.gl/maps/9LvYoXEUz9w6BSgWA

FA559CAF-6FC2-4688-8B5D-803F4B2095F3.png.7da9c2970795265a19e0719e47853082.png

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 04/11/2020 at 16:27, Ian Morgan said:

Probably not a true pylon, but I was hoping for some help from the knowledgeable people who post on this thread. There was an installation at Freshwater station on the Isle of Wight in the 1940's and/or early 1950's which appears in the blurry backgrounds of photographs of the station and trains. It appears to consist of two vertical poles, braced by two diagonal poles. Part way down, supported on cross members is what appears to be a transformer. A cross beam at the top has 4 sets of insulators (3 phase plus neutral?)  with more on a lower crossbeam.

Can anyone help with a clearer photo of a similar installation, or could someone please describe how the installation would be wired up. This will be prominent on the front edge of my layout, so I would like it to be as correct as possible.

Thanks in advance.

powerpole3.jpg.703eb0ff9f9e8dac8b5d7ffb128e13f7.jpgpowerpole4.jpg.a0c247b15bf092515dd6e2fd7a1acb31.jpgpowerpole2.jpg.601684dc761fb62efc8d43fe020c4400.jpgpowerpole5.jpg.aa8c286b26a02d20b427154cea60c0cc.jpgpowerpole1.jpg.5883f3c127d7ae412deead5b5feb0387.jpg

Hi Ian, the equipment at the top could be ceramic insulators incorporating circuit breakers, then underneath could be either sealing end insulator parts - best way I can describe their shape is like a star wars white stormtrooper head helmet! Into this would go two or three phases wires then down the pole underground to feed local properties. Then immediately underneath is the metal cross bracing with the circular loop in middle. I am guessing it is no longer there to check?

Cheers Paul

On 04/11/2020 at 20:17, big jim said:

This may not be anything to do with pylons but I pass this when running Dominic to work, however saw an electricity company van outside it the other day

id just like to know what it is? It appears to have some sort of generator out back and an electricity pole in its vicinity, I did think it was maybe something to do with the ROC as hack green bunker isn’t far away but I can’t see any reference to it being military on various sites 

Dropped pin
Near Hatherton, Nantwich
https://goo.gl/maps/9LvYoXEUz9w6BSgWA

FA559CAF-6FC2-4688-8B5D-803F4B2095F3.png.7da9c2970795265a19e0719e47853082.png

Hmm I'd go with it been electricity supply to ROC and the 11kV pole line that crosses the A39 road appears to have sealing end feeds either side of where it crosses overhead on each pole. And so the three wires across the road are dead as not linked to the other side of pole cross arm, clearly seen on the pole seen next to road just on the bend where the track diverges.

Cheers Paul 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, mwrosebury2000 said:

A quick question if I may. Is the concrete foundation on the metal towers one piece connected under the ground or is it different block under each foot?

I would imagine that they would need quite a bit of concrete due to the weight of the cables and wind loads etc.

Mark

Hi Mark, good question I think from what I have seen from clips on YouTube that each footing is often poured as a separate section and depending on the ground conditions and type of towers could vary in depth a lot, deeper wider footings for the more heavy duty deviation towers where the lines/conductors turn anything up to 90 degrees so hence a lot of forces acting upon the tower and thus the footings. Smaller designed towers *might* have a single footing especially those up to 66kV but that is only based on ones I have seen myself.

Cheers Paul 

• RMweb Premium
On 08/11/2020 at 18:43, pharrc20 said:

Hmm I'd go with it been electricity supply to ROC and the 11kV pole line that crosses the A39 road appears to have sealing end feeds either side of where it crosses overhead on each pole. And so the three wires across the road are dead as not linked to the other side of pole cross arm, clearly seen on the pole seen next to road just on the bend where the track diverges.

Cheers Paul 

Sorry, you are a little off the mark. It is a modern primary Sub Station (33kV /11kV). To the left of the building is the transformer compound with the conservator (oil header tank) visible. The building will house the switchgear at both voltages. The free standing pole to the left of the building is a free standing pole mounted transformer (11kV/400v) to supply a low voltage supply to the building. There is a 11kV Triplex cable to the top of the pole. A cold applied termination allows jumpers to a set of Drop out fuses, before a further set of jumpers to the top of the transformer. The transformer will feed a set of Pole mounted LV fuses before a cable will feed back into the sub.

The termination on the OHL at the side of the road is a 33kV Over Head Line (OHL). The cables are fed from a set of 'jumpers' from the line to the cables. Again cold applied terminations. There are also Surge Diverters on the pole. This again is repeated on the pole in the field. The OHL between the two poles is a 'dead Section' that can be re-energised by temp jumpers if required.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ramrig said:

Sorry, you are a little off the mark. It is a modern primary Sub Station (33kV /11kV). To the left of the building is the transformer compound with the conservator (oil header tank) visible. The building will house the switchgear at both voltages. The free standing pole to the left of the building is a free standing pole mounted transformer (11kV/400v) to supply a low voltage supply to the building. There is a 11kV Triplex cable to the top of the pole. A cold applied termination allows jumpers to a set of Drop out fuses, before a further set of jumpers to the top of the transformer. The transformer will feed a set of Pole mounted LV fuses before a cable will feed back into the sub.

The termination on the OHL at the side of the road is a 33kV Over Head Line (OHL). The cables are fed from a set of 'jumpers' from the line to the cables. Again cold applied terminations. There are also Surge Diverters on the pole. This again is repeated on the pole in the field. The OHL between the two poles is a 'dead Section' that can be re-energised by temp jumpers if required.

Fair enuff shows what little I know about 11/33kV supply and installations about fa I think lol.

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...