Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Pylons .

22 hours ago, L2's are great! said:

Wish i could but facebook for some reason banned me when i just joined, facebook being facebook i guess and making no sense!!

Looks like it has been approved as I watched it on there earlier. Shame those L9s have gone I always wanted to go look at them close-up... oh well.

Cheers Paul 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, L2's are great! said:

Out of interest, ive heard that the Cowley East Claydon line is being re-strung, is the Cowley-Seven Springs line keeping its quad bundles??

Not heard of that but they do tend to phase out quads for twin or triple bundles now on the L6s depending on loading I guess. I know someone who may know so will try ask and report back if hear anything. 

Cheers Paul 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pharrc20 said:

Looks like it has been approved as I watched it on there earlier. Shame those L9s have gone I always wanted to go look at them close-up... oh well.

Cheers Paul 

Ahh thanks Paul!! I should be going to Withington next week to get a close up look at the deviation towers so will send u my photos!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pharrc20 said:

Not heard of that but they do tend to phase out quads for twin or triple bundles now on the L6s depending on loading I guess. I know someone who may know so will try ask and report back if hear anything. 

Cheers Paul 

Thanks a lot!! L9's with quad just look much better than twin

• Like 1

Just thought I’d show a couple of photos:

The first one is Little Barford Substation. This has been altered a lot since it was first built in the 1930s. Originally single circuit PL4s and PL7s using double earth wire and double circuit towers going to Bedford, Corby and Peterborough. By the late 60s each of these lines had been doubled, the line to Peterborough was down rated to 33kV and terminated on a PL16 DT at Eaton Socon. The PL4 line to Corby however remained. The other PL4 line was also doubled and a PL16 DD40 was added and split the line, with one going on single circuit PL4s to the east of the substation and the other going on then newly erected PL16DD towers to the PL7 DD60 which has been repurposed as a DD40 at this point. It would join the PL1S line from Bedford and terminate at the west side of the substation. A new PL16 line from Fulbourn was now also terminating there. Fast forward to the late 90s when the new power station opened the PL4 line from Corby had been removed as far as the then new Eaton Socon substation and replaced with L7s. The PL4 line from Bedford remained intact but was rerouted along the line of PL16s to the west side of the substation where an L4M DJT was built. The PL7 line now terminates just before the substation on an L4M DT. Today the main substation compromises of PL16, L4M, PL4, PL7 and L7 towers.

The next photo is of Balfour Beatty L6 D40EC 4ZM 198 on the approach to Burwell substation in the thick fog we had a few weeks ago.

D4102358-BBD3-4C07-9641-595C9ABC7E3D.jpeg

4D429C0C-F823-465B-B99B-BA570AAF870F.jpeg

Edited by LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004
Put wrong photo on
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any good/useful websites for calculating the electric field strengths (both electro and magnetic), induced by Transmission Lines, at up to 1/2 a kilometre away?

I have some sensitive Instrumentation that requires these fields to be <1uT.

The power company (in Germany using 380kV lines) indicates that this will be a very close thing.

(We have a whole range of techniques and options, (that we already use), with dealing with issues like this but I wanted to run some calcs for myself.)

Kev.