Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Pylons .

On 23/06/2018 at 16:36, sandwich station said:

Hornby still make the set of 3 pylons first introduced under the Triang banner but I suspect you already know that. :)

When I built a model railway as a boy, for some reason I was fixated on pylons, and insistent my layout had them!  Even used thread as cables between them.

So I was glad to pick up the Hornby offering.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Pylon King said:

Coventry power station.

Thank you for that. When the station closed it became the local depot for East Midlands Electricity Board in Coventry. It remained in use by EME until 2000 when it was closed and sold off for conversion into canal side apartments called Electric Wharf. I remember going into the buildings in early 2000 and a lot of the old features of its time as a power station were still in place. At least it wasn’t demolished like a lot of other old generation stations.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Some great modelling on this thread!

Just a quick question if I may, as I intend to place at least one pylon on my layout?

I've just had a quick trawl through the thread, and the pictures reveal that most of the towers are painted in anything from a light grey to dark grey - however, all the towers that I recall from my youth (mid-60s) were very definately a light green.

Can anyone tell me if that was a 60s thing, or even a regional variation (I grew up on Wirral)? I can't see any refererence to the colour of the steelwork on (my addmittedly brief) skim through the many pages of the thread.

Thanks.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, billy_anorak59 said:

Some great modelling on this thread!

Just a quick question if I may, as I intend to place at least one pylon on my layout?

I've just had a quick trawl through the thread, and the pictures reveal that most of the towers are painted in anything from a light grey to dark grey - however, all the towers that I recall from my youth (mid-60s) were very definately a light green.

Can anyone tell me if that was a 60s thing, or even a regional variation (I grew up on Wirral)? I can't see any refererence to the colour of the steelwork on (my addmittedly brief) skim through the many pages of the thread.

Thanks.

Yes most towers tend to be painted in a light grey or silver hence the term 'silvering up' when painting the towers. Towers are often given a strange shade of yellow undercoat just prior to being painted the final coat of grey/silver. Not come across any green ones but that is not to say it happened. Obviously weather and local environment will have an effect on the paintwork too as will age. The tower stubs at each corner of the tower where it disappears into the concrete foundation is usually painted black with a bituminous type black paint I believe?

Cheers Paul 

• Informative/Useful 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Studying photos of Freshwater station for my 2mmFS model, I realised that I needed a pair of power poles. Of course, they only appeared in the background of photos, so are not very clear and poorly focused. It appears that a run of 3-phase power comes in from Yarmouth to the north on pairs of wooden A-frame poles. The last one before the railway differed in that it had an extra inclined pole on the railway side. The end of the run, on the south side of the railway was a substantial construction including a transformer. It looks like a single phase supply ran back to the tripod pole (lower down) where it appears to have then run down to a buried cable, presumeably to feed some local housing. It looks like earth wires just lay draped across a horizonal bar as I cannot see any sign of connectors.

pole1.jpg.3fb983f6b838f16cc56c66e22c410d2d.jpg

pole2.jpg.1380b61a9c99d2193ab034ef7114429e.jpg

Here is my attempt to replicate the tripod pole using 2mm diameter brass rod, 1/32" brass wire, brass L-section and some insulators I found on Shapeways. Once planted, it will be about 75mm tall.

IMG_20210724_141315IMG_20210724_141327

And with a quick coat of primer.

IMG_20210724_142926

Now I need to paint and plant it, and then turn my attention to the more complex transformer poles.

Please feel free to tell me how wrong I have got this.

Edited by Ian Morgan
re-loaded images
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

And now, the second, and more complex, power pole construction for Freshwater. These are the best photos I have found, so most of it is guesswork and artistic licence.

powerpole3.jpg.e1086e0382a83fad33b99f03b9563c5a.jpg

powerpole4.jpg.116d824212b7ba9dc8e2555e7188fac4.jpg

Here is my interpretation, using 2mm diameter brass rod, finer brass rod and L section. The transformer is from N Brass, but I could not get the etched brass insulators supplied with the 3D print to cooperate so I replaced them with 12BA brass bolts. The other small insulators are wire wound guitar string, and larger ones I found on Shapeways.

IMG_20210730_221713

and painted

IMG_20210731_140856IMG_20210731_140754

The cross bars at the bottom were to hold the shape during construction and will be removed or hidden.

It will sit right at the front of the layout, so I need to complete some scenic work in that area before it get planted.

Edited by Ian Morgan
re-loaded images
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...