Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Pylons .

17 hours ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

I think you could build a better one, are there anymore on the to do list? Also I have some photos of Bramford substation while it was getting a little upgrade and some new towers were being erected as one of the BB L6 D60s was being replaced by some form of D60 or D90? I’ll attach a photo when I can find it.

best regards, Matthew

There are a couple of projects planned , hope to start them soon. 

11 hours ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Well I finally made a start on super detailing a Hornby pylon, it’s based off pylon kings 33kv DT model as that looked the best.

image.jpg

Looking good . It’s an interesting project to personalise/detail these models.   . Humbrol enamel paint “87 steel grey” airbrushed can look quite effective.

6C10E0BE-C2DC-4CEF-879A-F52A159C6C22.jpeg

Edited by Pylon King
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pylon King said:

Looking good . It’s an interesting project to personalise/detail these models.   . Humbrol enamel paint “87 steel grey” airbrushed can look quite effective.

6C10E0BE-C2DC-4CEF-879A-F52A159C6C22.jpeg

Cheers pylon king, I do agree it is interesting however I have had to remove the top cross arms as it kind of broke so I need to order some spare sprues so I can work on it again, can you give me some measurements for the insulator holders inside the cross arms?

best regards, Matthew

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Cheers pylon king, I do agree it is interesting however I have had to remove the top cross arms as it kind of broke so I need to order some spare sprues so I can work on it again, can you give me some measurements for the insulator holders inside the cross arms?

best regards, Matthew

I’ll be ordering another set of Hornby pylons for spares in the next few days . Let me know if you need any components. 

Here are a few photos that might help, regarding the holders,it might be worth keeping the insulators short as I had to extend the tower upper level to avoid clearance issues.

All the best,

Paul. 

5DD25171-E3E1-49D1-B915-5A7C0B8655D1.jpeg

318876AB-88A0-446F-8ACC-28EAA8F736B6.jpeg

Edited by Pylon King
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Pylon King said:

I’ll be ordering another set of Hornby pylons for spares in the next few days . Let me know if you need any components. 

Here are a few photos that might help, regarding the holders,it might be worth keeping the insulators short as I had to extend the tower upper level to avoid clearance issues.

All the best,

Paul. 

5DD25171-E3E1-49D1-B915-5A7C0B8655D1.jpeg

318876AB-88A0-446F-8ACC-28EAA8F736B6.jpeg

Thanks for the info! I will dm you if I need anything and as the top cross arm got a bit brittle and snapped, I decided to extend the top too and will attach a photo of that.

best regards, Matthew 

image.jpg

Edited by LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pylon King said:

1C4C3EEE-0B47-42C7-A2C2-2428B4D8D7F5.jpeg.612846f8d45550746d960fe8664243c8.jpegE17B048B-184D-4895-89CB-F12680CF6379.jpeg.5b5687336057526d9de25640be0402a0.jpegLatest project just cLatest project just completed - 1:76 scale PL16 with dual ground wires.

My favourite PL16 in my favourite scale. Lovely work. How about the single ground wire version or maybe one of the earlier 33kv pylons like the ones in my photos?

best regards, Matthew

8A3239E9-0528-4BE1-A4F0-E2D0F63A0438.jpeg

5B62C587-B3CE-4210-BCD7-4C5E3BD5C440.jpeg

• Like 3

On 12/08/2019 at 21:14, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

My favourite PL16 in my favourite scale. Lovely work. How about the single ground wire version or maybe one of the earlier 33kv pylons like the ones in my photos?

best regards, Matthew

8A3239E9-0528-4BE1-A4F0-E2D0F63A0438.jpeg

5B62C587-B3CE-4210-BCD7-4C5E3BD5C440.jpeg

The reason for the dual grounding wire PL16 was down to tower variations within my collection. The standard PL16   & PL1  are a slightly similar design. 

Edited by Pylon King
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

2 hours ago, russ p said:

I saw some of these the other week but can't recall where. What are the purpose of the two ground wires

Excellent modelling on this thread 

One possibility it was an added precaution that turned out to be  redundant in view of the lower voltage .

Edited by Pylon King
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, russ p said:

I saw some of these the other week but can't recall where. What are the purpose of the two ground wires

Excellent modelling on this thread 

I believe it had something to do with increasing the earthwire capacity when the line approached a substation although not all of the PL lines seemed to have this. Two examples I can think of near me are the PL16 towers that come marching down the hill side near to New Mills South Junction to the substation at Gowhole - the remainder of the line from Stalybridge is standard Blaw Knox SWE PL16s. Another example can be seen just south of Knutsford where the PL7 line coming in from Carrington changes to the DD type towers to form the tee to the Knutsford substation then continues south-east towards the Chester railway line where it changes back to standard PL7 Watshams design towers - you can see this from the M6 near to Knutsford Services too. Ordinary double-circuit towers are classed as D and the Double earthwire double-circuit towers become DD

Cheers Paul

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, Pylon King said:

The reason for the dual grounding wire PL16 was down to tower variations within my collection. The standard PL16   & PL1  are a slightly similar design. A343A4CB-7750-4779-B7C5-9893BF987D6D.jpeg.b8065dffa1a46def50a7cc3bab77acf8.jpeg67004F1D-8A31-4966-8613-32343B3E7D14.jpeg.126a0b42065b4e0941185c78bc6621e6.jpeg

Well how about an L7 then? Or one of the terminal towers as they vary. Or maybe a BICC L6 D90?

best regards, Matthew

• Like 1

On 19/05/2019 at 16:29, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

just found these on the web, gives basic measurements for l4, l7, l8 and l12 pylons 

hope these are of use

best regards, Matthew 

(edit): you may need to open it on a new tab

I have seen it didn’t work very well so here’s a screenshot of the designs. There’s even the new T-pylons! Let me know if you want any better images of the designs? I have some Balfour Beatty L6 drawings too and some of the standard national grid L6 designs.

best regards, Matthew 

C786E32B-8D81-429E-876C-4F80F3017A01.png

• Like 5

13 hours ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Well how about an L7 then? Or one of the terminal towers as they vary. Or maybe a BICC L6 D90?

best regards, Matthew

It would be great to produce more variations, storage/transporting is another consideration as deviation/ terminal towers require extensive packaging. 

9 hours ago, Pylon King said:

It would be great to produce more variations, storage/transporting is another consideration as deviation/ terminal towers require extensive packaging. 

Ah yes good point, that is understandable. Well whatever model you produce it’ll be a work of art anyway. It would be even more realistic if it was on a model railway (only the smaller ones as the L6 might tower over the railway). I think once my Hornby adaptations are done that should give me more confidence to start scratchbuilding real prototypes.

best regards, Matthew 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Finally found one, where the L12 line south of Thirsk turns to L2. Kind of looks like a BICC or Balfour Beatty L6 D60

744A1143-22B8-42C1-84C1-750F6E062B6F.jpeg

1C531510-ABBF-496B-B69F-F26374D80776.jpeg

Nice one. L12 D90s not many of those around. I think there are at least two in the L12 tee that runs to Seabanks power station near to Bristol. L2 and the L6 D90s are rather different. I quite like the L2 family must be my favourites.

The L12 in your photo links into the remains of the L2 line running towards the York substation. Originally this L2 continued west to join up with the L66 line that used to run down from Stella to Monk Fryston now largely replaced by the L12 line in part.

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, pharrc20 said:

Nice one. L12 D90s not many of those around. I think there are at least two in the L12 tee that runs to Seabanks power station near to Bristol. L2 and the L6 D90s are rather different. I quite like the L2 family must be my favourites.

The L12 in your photo links into the remains of the L2 line running towards the York substation. Originally this L2 continued west to join up with the L66 line that used to run down from Stella to Monk Fryston now largely replaced by the L12 line in part.

Cheers Paul

I will check that L12 line out soon. Regarding the sudden change that would make sense now as now thanks to this forum I have learned a lot more about these pylons and why the designs change sometimes midway through the lines. My favourite pylon families are the BICC and Balfour Beatty L6s as where I live that’s pretty much the only L6s you see (and they end up joining each other like one big circle). However, regarding L2s I happened to come across this weird one near Sheffield on google maps so I will attach a screenshot of that. Personally I think the rarest of all the pylons is the L13, I’m not aware of any built. The only plan involving them so far is the Bramford to Twinstead project which has been halted because of people protesting about them ruining the landscape.

best regards, Matthew

9EF4D5EC-124A-4948-AFFB-2A21A242F661.jpeg

• Like 3

Yes it is quite interesting to see how lines have been changed over the years even the 275/400kV Supergrid lines have been chopped and changed around somewhere or other.

A good example are some of the lines that used to start at Monk Fryston substation not far from that popular railway spot Burton Salmon. Originally several L2, the L3 line to Skelton Grange, Leeds and the L66 line I mentioned last time started here when built in the 1950s but by the time the new Aire Valley power stations came along part of these were removed, altered and replaced by new L6 designed lines.

For example the L2 ZP trans-pennine line used to start at Monk Fryston and ran all the way to just north of Bolton to a place called Greenmount where there was a tee junction with the ZQ line running from Daines (near Carrington) to Penwortham (nr Preston). The start of this line to be precise towers nos. 1 - 43 were removed and replaced by a new L6 line that started at Ferrybridge coded 4ZU. The change occurs at a place called Stanley near Wakefield. L6 quad line transitions to dual line L2 between towers and the ZP line continues on its way westward. Incidentally, this part of the line on the moors above Rochdale and Bury were the setting for that famous pylon slash love triangle film produced in the early 1990s "Among Giants" featuring the late Pete Postlethwaite as a team of misfits were hired to paint a load of pylons with some love along the way. This section of the ZP line no longer exists the route and the two circuits having been truncated at the tee junction just to the north of Rochdale substation where a branch teed off to feed the substation (still coded ZP) whilst the line continued over the moors to meet the ZQ at Greenmount. And not to spoil the film but the famous painted pylon was sadly chopped down some years ago ZP 226.

That L2 D10/30 certainly looks odd indeed - I quite like the quirkly odd-ball one-off type towers - have a look at this modified L2 D90 on the ZQ line at Kearsley near the substation for example.

Cheers Paul

DSCF2815.JPG

• Like 3

19 hours ago, pharrc20 said:

Yes it is quite interesting to see how lines have been changed over the years even the 275/400kV Supergrid lines have been chopped and changed around somewhere or other.

A good example are some of the lines that used to start at Monk Fryston substation not far from that popular railway spot Burton Salmon. Originally several L2, the L3 line to Skelton Grange, Leeds and the L66 line I mentioned last time started here when built in the 1950s but by the time the new Aire Valley power stations came along part of these were removed, altered and replaced by new L6 designed lines.

For example the L2 ZP trans-pennine line used to start at Monk Fryston and ran all the way to just north of Bolton to a place called Greenmount where there was a tee junction with the ZQ line running from Daines (near Carrington) to Penwortham (nr Preston). The start of this line to be precise towers nos. 1 - 43 were removed and replaced by a new L6 line that started at Ferrybridge coded 4ZU. The change occurs at a place called Stanley near Wakefield. L6 quad line transitions to dual line L2 between towers and the ZP line continues on its way westward. Incidentally, this part of the line on the moors above Rochdale and Bury were the setting for that famous pylon slash love triangle film produced in the early 1990s "Among Giants" featuring the late Pete Postlethwaite as a team of misfits were hired to paint a load of pylons with some love along the way. This section of the ZP line no longer exists the route and the two circuits having been truncated at the tee junction just to the north of Rochdale substation where a branch teed off to feed the substation (still coded ZP) whilst the line continued over the moors to meet the ZQ at Greenmount. And not to spoil the film but the famous painted pylon was sadly chopped down some years ago ZP 226.

That L2 D10/30 certainly looks odd indeed - I quite like the quirkly odd-ball one-off type towers - have a look at this modified L2 D90 on the ZQ line at Kearsley near the substation for example.

Cheers Paul

DSCF2815.JPG

Thanks for the info about the history of the pylons in that area, very informative. I know the bit you mean where the L6 line goes to L2 as well, passed it a couple of times. I did have a look at that other L12 line but sadly no D90s, that one near Thirsk might be the only one unless there’s one hidden on the Beauly-Denny L12 line somewhere in the hills. As for that L2, I happened to be looking at your photo albums on photobucket and noticed that. I quite like it..... Now I just need some confidence, plastic and some plans and I might make that one day along with the standard type.

best regards, Matthew

• Like 1

I wasn't totally sure if there was a D90 in that Seabanks L12 line or not - probably my memory playing tricks. Generally D90s were avoided as they costed a lot more plus needed stronger foundations and more steelwork so were only used unless really necessary. Some L6s I can think of - one near to the M56 near Ellesmere Port where the Frodsham to Capenhurst set turns to head northish towards Capenhurst substation; one near the former Bold Colliery and Power station on the Liverpool - Manchester line - this is on the line that runs from Fiddler's Ferry towards the substation east of Liverpool area who's name escapes me right now as I type this - that is quite impressive next to the railway line - sometimes can see it in photos from Rainhill 1980.

I quite like finding non-standard towers including that one in the photograph - in fact that is the only L2 D90 something I have seen like that. And yes it is plated up with notices advising it is a non-standard design. Fortunately just down in the valley at Kearsley was an actual L2 D90 that I could compare to make sure my glasses were working ok!

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

On 14/08/2019 at 14:30, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Finally found one, where the L12 line south of Thirsk turns to L2. Kind of looks like a BICC or Balfour Beatty L6 D60

744A1143-22B8-42C1-84C1-750F6E062B6F.jpeg

1C531510-ABBF-496B-B69F-F26374D80776.jpeg

Have found another including an (L8?) junction tower. I say L8 because the L12 looks more beefy.

(edit) I have included a street view too

4C219F4F-8B67-484E-A797-D638EA8D0695.jpeg

4EA6794C-C11D-41E3-87F0-7576E6F8AAC8.jpeg

C11C5A9D-FD76-49F7-A06D-A92CB8F90C44.jpeg