Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Pylons .

On 24/02/2019 at 13:47, How about a Dictator Loco Class? said:

Wow!!! I love your amazing models Pylon King. Very impressive work. And very accurate!

I have designed a taller, extended version of the tower now and both versions now have all the Inner strengthening detail. I'll soon sell fully assembled models via my shapeways account in N and OO in plastic or stainless steel + for those who ask; pylon accessories, spare parts and cheeper rates for multiples. And maybe a weathered, painted version with signage via TMC.

The original pylons were certainly designed by a genius! I've learned so much about the wisdom behind the design by building these. They use the minimum material calculated to give the required strength. So the L2d appears to be the cheapest of the L2's to build' requiring less parts (insulators, steel etc) helped by a less wide stance due to it's shallower angle of diversion. There are rules behind where triangles are to be put and what angles they should be at. So you get a formula that shows you exactly the size and angle every triangle will be. The design is full of genius order and mathematics like we see in all nature. But obviously not to de degree seen in nature.

Screen Shot 2019-02-23 at 21.03.56.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-23 at 21.05.05.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-24 at 13.13.58.png

Wow looking so good these L2 D towers. I will have to take some more photos to try and collect all the extention variations including the ones that have a short extention inserted above the two base panels on the standard height towers. I know of two locally only problem is trying to get a photo out of a passing train or passing car!

Cheers Paul 

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, SHMD said:

..I'm not sure if these are playing noughts&crosses or having a fight!

20190224_135509.jpg.57792f29bbcad7fef82b2fcf9ea94b0b.jpg

Kev.

Hartshead neck of the woods I remember these from a visit a good few years.

Cheers Paul 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a photo taken on a walk along the Shropshire Union Canal towpath today between Ellesmere Port and Chester and passed under the ZO 400kV L2 and spotted one of the D towers with the additional height insert - see photo - note the extra X section above the diamond and now half diamond (cut in half by insert) followed by other half of diamond then two full diamonds then you reach base of lower cross arms. Hope this makes sense!

Cheers Paul

20190323_085928.jpg

• Like 3

Following on from Pylon King's excellent models of the single circuit PL1b tower I paid a visit to the MOSI Museum of Science and Industry at Manchester the other week to see the Electricity exhibition before it closed. And came across these lovely enlarged tower diagrams for PL1 and PL1bs :D. Photos of each one taken for the record. It seems these diagrams came from the Science Museum London archives.

Cheers Paul

20190423_125331.jpg

20190423_124522.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

Hi all, it’s been a while since I’ve been on this thread. I have just had a look at that L2 pylon on shapeways and I might invest in one for display.... on the other hand, could you try a Balfour Beatty L6 please? I have a few photos off them and I have a few engineering drawings too if that’s of any help.

best regards, Matthew

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/05/2019 at 22:46, pharrc20 said:

Following on from Pylon King's excellent models of the single circuit PL1b tower I paid a visit to the MOSI Museum of Science and Industry at Manchester the other week to see the Electricity exhibition before it closed. And came across these lovely enlarged tower diagrams for PL1 and PL1bs :D. Photos of each one taken for the record. It seems these diagrams came from the Science Museum London archives.

Cheers Paul

20190423_125331.jpg

20190423_124522.jpg

Great photos Paul !  Along with your information and several engineers drawings from the museum website I’ve managed to build a 1:76 scale version.

42468CF6-A2AE-4848-A548-AFC7B871545D.jpeg

4CFDDACF-84D1-4361-BD68-0CC3FB51CA87.jpeg

E0D8811D-1B8A-4475-B648-99AAC07CA3A7.jpeg

Edited by Pylon King
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, pharrc20 said:

Excellent work there. I took photos of each of the towers on the wall display though most were duplicated. Are the other drawings on the museum website itself?

Cheers Paul

I managed to locate these .

D109DA27-51DC-4C43-8C8B-F839F9B63B2C.png

E4E9037D-CBCF-4559-9649-CBC36694BC4A.jpeg

Edited by Pylon King
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've been looking for ages for diagrams like these for a few years now then all of a sudden they come along. I need to start having a go at bashing the Hornby kits around like you did but got a book and a layout/models to try and do first.

Cheers Paul

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pharrc20 said:

I've been looking for ages for diagrams like these for a few years now then all of a sudden they come along. I need to start having a go at bashing the Hornby kits around like you did but got a book and a layout/models to try and do first.

Cheers Paul

It’s definitely  worth having a go at scratch building using Plastruct/Evergreen Plastics .The latest model is scratch built from the original drawings featured to achieve both accuracy and realism.

353898E2-CCAD-41B7-9E76-04BA1F755300.jpeg

Edited by Pylon King
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

I have added some concrete bases to an area on my layout to hint there was once a strut there (but might cut them down a bit), so I can temporarily add a Hornby Pylon for those times when you need one in your life.

IMG_20190514_195133.jpg

IMG_20190514_194558.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Hi,

Does anyone have any drawings of pl16s as they are quite common near me and would like to include one on my layout?

best regards, Matthew 

Yes i do from but i will have to do this once back home as away next week. They are plan only but include the leading dimensions in feet and inches and also include optional height extensions too from memory. There should be enough info to enable the main towers D2, D30, D60 and DT to be built.

Cheers Paul 

11 hours ago, pharrc20 said:

Yes i do from but i will have to do this once back home as away next week. They are plan only but include the leading dimensions in feet and inches and also include optional height extensions too from memory. There should be enough info to enable the main towers D2, D30, D60 and DT to be built.

Cheers Paul 

Ah thanks a lot Paul!

best regards, Matthew

21 hours ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

One more thing regarding pl16s, why do some have this on top?

2C9BA36D-11D5-4393-861C-80480692464B.jpeg

Something to do with the need for double earth wires on the approach to substations I believe. There are some extra diagrams for these and an extra D is added to the tower code so the one in the photo would be a PL16 DD2