Trix

Hi all,

I have a 3 car trix emu but it has a strange electrical pickup arrangement. When going forwards the pick is on rear coach and when reversed it is on other end coach. This arrangement is managed by a small relay, does anyone have experience of this as I'm going to remove the relay so all wheels are always connected to track.

Andy

Is this the British Trix Transpennine unit or the AC prewar Southern electric unit?.A photo would help.

Ray.

Hi ray no it is not these, it's a German 420 class emu

Andy

Sorry,i can`t help you there but i probably know someone who can.Your best bet is to join Trix Model Trains group on Facebook,there`s lots of expertise on there,good luck.

Ray.

Sorry,i can`t help you there but i probably know someone who can.Your best bet is to join Trix Model Trains group on Facebook,there`s lots of expertise on there,good luck.

Ray.

Thanks ray, but unfortunately I don't do Facebook

Andy

Hi all,

I have a 3 car trix emu but it has a strange electrical pickup arrangement. When going forwards the pick is on rear coach and when reversed it is on other end coach. This arrangement is managed by a small relay, does anyone have experience of this as I'm going to remove the relay so all wheels are always connected to track.

Andy

Trix at that time had AC motors, I think. I'd guess that the relay is essential when reversing.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

As i said,a photo would help.The only other way is to join the TTRCA,they have people in their lists that can repair or advise on TTR locos That run on AC otherwise i don`t know anyone in this country who repairs Trix Trains.

Ray.

Is this a modern Trix product? If so you might want to try the modelling German railways section where you're likely to find others using similar equipment. If it's an old one, the vintage/collecting section may help.

Yes this is modern and is in latest catalog.

Yes I know of the relay used on AC motors, but this appears to only change what ch pickups are used. But I will look where you suggested

Andy

Ray.

My partner asked to join this group on my behalf, but they rejected my request. I got the impression this is an elitist group

Not particularly,they let me in & i run Trix dc locos & coaches on my Hornby Dublo layout.I suspect it was because you havn`t got a Facebook  account in your own name.

Ray.

Not

Not particularly,they let me in & i run Trix dc locos & coaches on my Hornby Dublo layout.I suspect it was because you havn`t got a Facebook  account in your own name.

Ray.

Not sure about the that, but what ever the reason I would rather not join when groups feel a cut above the rest.

I'll just work it out on my own, I was just hoping to save some time.

Andy

Picking up on post#10, the TTRCA (Trix Twin Railway Collectors Association) certainly isn't elitist (they let me in!!), and offers a wealth of knowledge about all things Trix, as well as organising get-togethers of like minded enthusiasts.

Suggest you at least give this consideration.

John.

• 4 weeks later...

A bit late entering the discussion, however I must agree with those who feel the rejected request to join was not down to elitism but was more to do with the fact that it was not the person interested in the group who was applying. I follow a number of NZ aviation pages whose admins make it quite clear that requests will be considered only after checking to make sure the applicant's profile does actually indicate an interest in aviation. It stops randoms getting in and doing things like advertising sunglasses and insurance. I would suggest that the OP's partner's profile demonstrated no connection to railways, model or otherwise, so the request got the flick.

I trust the issue was sorted.

A bit late entering the discussion, however I must agree with those who feel the rejected request to join was not down to elitism but was more to do with the fact that it was not the person interested in the group who was applying. I follow a number of NZ aviation pages whose admins make it quite clear that requests will be considered only after checking to make sure the applicant's profile does actually indicate an interest in aviation. It stops randoms getting in and doing things like advertising sunglasses and insurance. I would suggest that the OP's partner's profile demonstrated no connection to railways, model or otherwise, so the request got the flick.

I trust the issue was sorted.

Yes I resolved the problem very nicely thanks.

As to why the request got turned down was basically that this group deals with the more older trix items not the more modern items.

Andy,

ESU used to make such a 3rd rail skate changeover relay, their part No. was 51966, to change the collecting skate according to the direction of travel. Apparently the changeover was necessary to ensure that a multiple unit equipped with 2 3rd rail skates, one at each end, stopped in the right place on the tracks, presumably when current sensing detectors were being used. One can see how an EMU could end up with the leading cab stopping in the wrong place if the stop was triggered by the position of the skate. There wouldn't be the same problem with a loco hauled train as the skate would always be under the loco, unless, of course, if the formation had the loco at one end and a DVT at the other.

This need to change the pickup position would also apply to 2 rail EMUs if there were pick ups at each end of the formation.

Here's a link to the relevant ESU product description, sorry in german only, if it's any help, http://www.esu.eu/produkte/zubehoer/adapterplatinen/schleiferumschaltung/  

Edited by GoingUnderground

My partner asked to join this group on my behalf, but they rejected my request. I got the impression this is an elitist group

But I think that your partner has a retail business, dealing in secondhand models. The TTRCA might have been concerned that their spares intended to keep Trix models owned by enthusiasts like me in running order would end up being used by a business to renovate models which were then sold on for a profit.

Glad to hear that issue it's all been resolved.

But I think that your partner has a retail business, dealing in secondhand models. The TTRCA might have been concerned that their spares intended to keep Trix models owned by enthusiasts like me in running order would end up being used by a business to renovate models which were then sold on for a profit.

Glad to hear that issue it's all been resolved.

Hi Keith

Thanks for the previous advice I shall look at this.

Can you please advise how you think my partner has a retail business. And if you believe this what is the evidence to support this as this is quite a liableless statement.

Andy

Edited by Andymsa

Hi Keith

Thanks for the previous advice I shall look at this.

Can you please advise how you think my partner has a retail business. And if you believe this what is the evidence to support this as this is quite a liableless statement.

Andy

If I was mistaken, as it appears that I am, then I sincerely and unreservedly apologise for any upset that I might have caused to you, your partner or to the TTRCA.

If I was mistaken, as it appears that I am, then I sincerely and unreservedly apologise for any upset that I might have caused to you, your partner or to the TTRCA.

Hi Keith

Apology accepted, although am curious what led you to think my partner had a retail business.

I had a look at your link to ESU very interesting.

Hi Keith

Apology accepted, although am curious what led you to think my partner had a retail business.

I had a look at your link to ESU very interesting.

I know of a gentleman called Andy who is interested in Continental European models and whose partner has such a business. The wording and content of your post made me think, erroneously as it turns out, that he was the originator of your post. If I'd stopped to think I would have realised that with his experience and knowledge he would already know the answer and not have posted asking for help.

That is no reflection on your knowledge or expertise.

I hope this explains my error.