So I picked up another kit from the Caledonian Railway Society at the Perth show today - I also have a number of other kits purchased over the last two or three years.  Looking to get paint for them, - I was told that red oxide is the colour (for Caledonian condition), and was thinking that a 1:1 mix of Humbrol 73 matt wine and 100 matt red brown would give a good result.  What paints have others used?   

Picked up bearings as well, so on Tuesday I plan to buy wheels (local model shop isn't open on Mondays). These will also cover a Highland Railway Jones 8 ton van - have the whitemetal axleboxes for this but will need to laser cut some springs for it as when I bought it they had run out of them - and a scratch build pug tender

So I picked up another kit from the Caledonian Railway Society at the Perth show today - I also have a number of other kits purchased over the last two or three years.  Looking to get paint for them, - I was told that red oxide is the colour (for Caledonian condition), and was thinking that a 1:1 mix of Humbrol 73 matt wine and 100 matt red brown would give a good result.  What paints have others used?

I believe that Halford's red oxide primer is a pretty good match.   I suspect that there would have been a bit of variation on the prototype as the paint aged and was affected by smoke,  soot, etc.

Jim.

• RMweb Premium

I believe that Halford's red oxide primer is a pretty good match.   I suspect that there would have been a bit of variation on the prototype as the paint aged and was affected by smoke,  soot, etc.

Jim.

That's what I've used for Great Western goods wagon red, which I'm convinced was based on the same red lead pigment as anybody else's wagon red.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Caley 439,

I recently finished this wagon (2mm scale).

post-13616-0-15363400-1529955124.jpg

I used 50/50 mix of Humbrol red/brown and brick red,

I was actually mixing for some coach seating, and thought "that looks right for Caley wagons" so that got done instead.

As with most wagon paint the real shade will have varied over time so I wouldn't get too hung about it!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I rather like the Plasticote red oxide metal primer. However I'm sure the shade as applied varied and tended to go a bit lighter and pinkish with age. 

Good to see someone else having a go at modelling the Caley. Seems to be picking up a certain inertia these days ; solid association with an excellent magazine, good books published, seriously accurate kits available. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Caley 439,

I recently finished this wagon (2mm scale).

attachicon.gifWagon 9.jpg

I used 50/50 mix of Humbrol red/brown and brick red,

I was actually mixing for some coach seating, and thought "that looks right for Caley wagons" so that got done instead.

As with most wagon paint the real shade will have varied over time so I wouldn't get too hung about it!

Hmm....... I think I gave some bum advice here.

Last night I painted a D5 brake van in the aforementioned paint mix and now have a horrible pinky-brown coloured van.

It must have been red and red/brown I used.....I think.... :scratchhead:

Thanks to everyone who's replied, will hopefully get some pictures up of progress in the next couple of days

Hmm....... I think I gave some bum advice here.

Last night I painted a D5 brake van in the aforementioned paint mix and now have a horrible pinky-brown coloured van.

It must have been red and red/brown I used.....I think.... :scratchhead:

I used this mix (a little more of the brick red though), with a dab of red paint (No 60 I think) and it seems to have worked.  The approx ratio I used of No 60:No 70:No 100  was 1:6:3.  It is only the first coat, but I'll paint another one tomorrow.   The True Line kits I have are the diagram 22 and diagram 59 open wagons and the diagram 3 box van.  Realised when I was digging out the castings to paint that I had been supplied with the axleboxes for the D59 for P4! I'm quite content with 00 gauge.   I'll draw out a set of the W irons to go behind for mounting the axlebox assemblies to the underside of the body and get them laser cut in mountboard

I rather like the Plasticote red oxide metal primer. However I'm sure the shade as applied varied and tended to go a bit lighter and pinkish with age. 

Good to see someone else having a go at modelling the Caley. Seems to be picking up a certain inertia these days ; solid association with an excellent magazine, good books published, seriously accurate kits available. 

I have to confess, I'm not modelling the Caley specifically, more of a selection of Scottish pre-grouping - there's a rebuilt Loch class on the go at the moment (and has been for the last year and a bit) and an attempt was made at building a J36 using parts of a J83, a Glen or Scott may be on the cards this year if I can complete CAD drawings for the frames.    That said most of my 'pre-grouping' stock is Caledonian - I've picked up a set of 4 CR 6 wheelers bodged from rtr and kit parts and a set of Hornby coke wagons which had been repainted into Caley colours (with lettering painted on) from my local model shop and while not being part of the association I do try and pick up a kit or parts from their stand at the Perth show each year. 

In my other modelling scale (16mm/ft) I have been supplying models of the ornate Caledonian station benches for the last year or so 

Attached are some pictures of progress on the wagon kits - the shade of paint looks right so I'm happy (also compared to one of the repainted coke wagons which I picked up a while ago)  post-32037-0-75027200-1530484406_thumb.jpg  post-32037-0-78081000-1530484425_thumb.jpg

I also got several internal W irons cut out in mountboard so I can finish off the third wagon - slightly wider (~0.8mm) than the whitemetal one, but a trial fit has shown it to be a good fit underneath the wagon body.  I've also cut out a few extra sets for the HR society Jones van kit and possible future scratchbuilds  post-32037-0-83715900-1530484527_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

​Passing an Antiques (Junk) shop the other evening It looks like the Antiques trade have also sensed an up turn in modelling the Caley. In the window was a pair of Triang 00 Caley coaches marked at £60 EACH!

Ebay has them at £19.99!!

Sandy

• 1 year later...

Guess I better update here!  The Caledonian Railway association Diagram 22 wagon is complete, bar the brake lever and ratchet.  The Diagram 3 van is on wheels (just need the roof added and iron work picked out in black), and the diagram 59 is not really much further on than last time (though the coat of red oxide is pretty much complete). 

As the spacing between the solebars of the Diagram 3 kit is slightly greater than that on the Diagram 59, I decided to substitute my laser cut W irons here and use the one piece castings for the Diagram 59 as the castings aren't as thick as the mountboard which the W irons are cut in

A kit for the CR 50 ton bogie ore wagon arrive this morning from Peter's Spares (fantastic customer service from them, and was only sent yesterday!) and has now been assembled  

IMG_20190710_125836976_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190710_130013480_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

Good news, the Diagram 59 wagon is now on wheels! Having seen how Nelson's 50t wagon above looked with the wheel rims painted white I decided that I'd do that with the wheels for this too before they were fitted. Yes in real life they probably wouldn't have stayed white for long, but hey ho.  A nice line up too of the Caledonian Railway wagon kits, just unsure whether I should now fit tension lock couplings to the True Line kits - makes sense for operating with the rest of my stock but will need to do it in a way so they don't stand out too much and detract from the appearance of these lovely kits.  Brake gear next.

IMG_20190713_195355613_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190713_200851116_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Had the courage to add transfers to the 3 True Line Models wagons today, using ones from the HMRS sheet. All went surprisingly well, though I found that the "Hamilton Section" lettering did curl up a little, matt varnish has been applied over them and while there is still a little curling with them this seems to have sorted out the worst of it.  The brake ratchets and handles for the Diagram 3 and Diagram 22 have had a coat of paint applied, so a few more coats then they can be fitted.

Work also progressing with the big 50 ton wagon.   As the kit doesn't come with coupling hooks (brake pipes are expected to go in their place, according to the instructions) I formed some from scraps of plastic, these have now been fitted in place and painted.  Brake pipes have been painted before being fitted in place 

IMG_20190716_215428666_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190716_220227738_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Very nice , great to see some more TLM kits being built. 

For couplings I use the smiths ones and file them down a bit. 

I had a go at the big 50 ton one a long time back. 

IMG_1517

• Like 3

Hi Dave, I must admit that I have been using your Kelvinbank blog as a reference point for the Diagram 3 and 59.  Also been enjoying the fantastic modelling of the Caley, and the  station style which reminds me particularly of Partick Central.

I'll be needing a source of coupling hooks for Glen Douglas and Gordon Highlander as well as for future builds (the HR society Jones 8 ton van needs some) so I'll  go for the Smiths option now.

A pleasant trip along the Waverley route yesterday afternoon down to Tweedbank then the walk to Melrose to see the station.  On the return journey through Waverley station (there's a theme here) it was natural to visit Harburn Hobbies, especially as my local shop in Glasgow (Pastimes of Maryhill Road) has sadly closed after 40 years - only found this out after getting back from sea in June.  I was on the lookout for one of the Oxford Rail NBR Jubilee wagons. Sadly there was none in NB livery, but I still got one.  On the train back in Glasgow caught a glimpse of the PS Waverley tied up - might have had an overdose of Waverleys!  :D:jester:

Comparing the Jubilee wagon to the Diagram 22 has made me think about having a go at scratchbuilding a similar wagon or two - there are plenty of open wagons at the Museum of Scottish Railways for inspiration, and have spare mountboard W irons, bearings and wheels.  Need something to counteract the growing Caley wagon presence (and give something for NBR #42 to run with when she's running)! 

Started painting the Jones 8T van, the red oxide colour used on Highland Railway goods stock seems a very red red-oxide, so the first two coats have been a mix Humbrol's #60 and #100, the colour seems to be building up well. A few more coats to go as the resin body is a very light colour to begin with.

IMG_20190717_222328552_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190718_221758067.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Nice work. The oxford jubilee wagons are a good base for an inexpensive wagon which can be knocked into shape relatively easily. 

The D22 looks good, you can never have too many of those. 

• 1 month later...

Going back to the subject of scratch building a few early style wagons, I did some drawings when I was away, and this afternoon put these drawings onto CAD and cut a sample. Based on some pictures of old Caledonian mineral wagons, models of NB ones I remember seeing on the Burntisland layout many years ago and some bits (detail for the end doors) from more 'modern' dumb buffered wagons at Bo'ness.  A generic wagon, but the aim is to have a few more to capture the feel of those old wagons.  Chassis base in laser cut plywood, and the rest in laser cut mount board.  Made a mess with the dimensions - sides should be shorter, and the ends wider - but the whole point of a prototype model is to see if there are any issues, and I'll have this model tomorrow when I correct the dimensions

IMG_20190820_181814375[1].jpg

IMG_20190820_183037584[1].jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• Caley 439 changed the title to pre-grouping goods stock

A rake of old-style mineral wagons now coming together nicely, some will also have outside W-irons to add a little variation.  Some spare springs also cut so that the HR Jones van can be continued on (as it was not possible to purchase springs when I bought it several years ago)

052.JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Jones van is essentially complete, and as I have half a tin of my Highland red oxide mix left I'm having a go at some Highland Railway open wagons, based on images on the Am Baile website - this is a fantastic resource for the images of stock in Highland, LMS and BR days.  The LMS constituents are going to be well represented with goods stock it will seem .....need to build some NB or GNSR to balance it. And can't forget the GSW either :scratchhead:

Motive power (or more lack of) is now more noticeable :chok_mini: 

• Like 1

The Jones van with a Caledonian counterpart. This has turned out really nicely, though I do think that the (Highland) red oxide a little bright looking - the inside of the body was painted black before the roof was stuck on, and this does help to tone it down a little though. 

IMG_20190914_173602422.jpg

IMG_20190914_173555079.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Asking from a position of complete ignorance, is the Highland red, red oxide or red lead? Looking at Dave John's Caledonian wagons, they seem to be the same shade as yours and I've an idea that he's using Humbrol red primer as I have been doing for English red lead wagons - apologies if I've misremembered, @Dave John. My impression of iron oxide red is that it should approach Midland crimson lake, for which it was the undercoat. The Midland used it for some service vehicles such as crane runners, where it was clearly intended to match the locomotive red. I think this restored example is not far off. Pre-grouping red is a very vexed subject, especially since the orthochromatic photography of the day is insensitive to it.

Are those the HMRS Scottish Pre-Grouping pressfix transfers you're using?

Apologies, I see I'm repeating myself re. Humbrol red primer.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

I think Dave John said previously he used Plasticote red oxide primer  @Compound2632      

I've done my colours to 'look right', that Midland wagon looks a little too dark for Caley wagon red oxide, more (in my mind) akin to the purple on the coaches - I think non-passenger coaching stock was also painted this colour all over?  I think it's fair to say that all pre-grouping colours are liable to lead to some form of disagreement......

Yes they are the HMRS Scottish pre-grouping ones - very handy, after my first application (and first time use) of them on the Diagram 22 I've not had any issues - might just have been that the paint and surface on the D22 is different that on the D3, D59 and 50 ton bogie wagon.  Going to use a few of the Highland ones on my attempt at a Drummond-era coal wagon.  

• Thanks 1