Banger blue 37s in the late 80s

sub39h

Hi all,

I model the late 80s, no specific region but most interested in ECML traffic in Yorkshire and WCML traffic in the West Midlands. I have gotten hold of one of Bachmann's 37 041s in BR Blue. I have seen a video of a BR Blue Class 37/0 on the ECML in the late 80s but didn't catch the number.

Which blue 37s were still around in the late 80s please? And when did the 37s lose their buffer beam cowlings?

Thanks 

• 4 weeks later...

I would say most 37s lost their cowlings in early 80s, I suspect as part of a heavy overhaul, but there were some that retained much longer.  Certainly my Scottish 37s book shows no late 80s blue 37s with cowlings, but a few at start of decade. 

37116 seemed to keep her cowlings much longer than most, at least into early 90s and I'm sure I've seen some of her in more modern liveries still retaining cowlings. 

There were still quite a few banger blue 37s around in late 80s but not many with cowlings by that stage.

M

I don't know which a##ehole sanctioned it having 37/5 nose mods so late but a sad waste

Agreed, it would have been easy to put it back in green as built. It is a big job to rebuild the nose ends now, to the best of my knowledge there are no spare sets of nose doors kicking around..

• Like 1

I don't know which a##ehole sanctioned it having 37/5 nose mods so late but a sad waste

Uh it was a working loco not a museum piece, the cowls were cut away to make it easier for the shunters and groundstaff to go inbetween to couple and uncouple which is more important than what some train spotter thinks it looks like.

And I say that as a train spotter myself.

Edited by royaloak

Agreed, it would have been easy to put it back in green as built. It is a big job to rebuild the nose ends now, to the best of my knowledge there are no spare sets of nose doors kicking around..

A couple of bits of sheet steel and some hinges, not that difficult in the grand scheme of things.

• RMweb Gold

The cowling doesn't make much difference when getting in between.

Ploughs are much worse especially if two locos have them.

It had survived so long with cowling and 37 were been withdrawn in 96 I think it was a strange decision

Doors are alloy bye the way

The cowling doesn't make much difference when getting in between.

Ploughs are much worse especially if two locos have them.

It had survived so long with cowling and 37 were been withdrawn in 96 I think it was a strange decision

Doors are alloy bye the way

Do the replacements have to be?

• RMweb Gold

Do the replacements have to be?

If you want them to looks right then it needs to be alloy as they are quite a complex shape for sheet metal.

Fibreglass could be replacement

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, ChrisWaring said:

When did the 37/0 start getting cut away bufferbeam cowlings? Ie when did the first one get cut?

Circa 1979, seemed to go hand in hand with plating of the headcode boxes but there are examples of locos having just the skirts removed but glass headcode left in place or the headcode box plated but cowling still in place.

• 1 year later...

Plenty of videos on youtube at various locations around the country.

Each of these Youtubers have hours of footage from all around the country. Admittingly it would mean watching all of them, but, there maybe something in there that will help with your original question. I watched most of them at work, I got paid too watch these!

the names of the youtubers are:-

spompeytransportvideo

electrarailfilms

soi buakkhao

old oak trains

lineside video productions.

Edited by PieGuyRob
  • Like 1