Heath Town and other signalling diversions

5BarVT

• RMweb Premium
On 05/03/2020 at 17:27, 5BarVT said:

As I was writing this I thought of your multi coloured creations.  That’s what I’ll try when the time comes providing I can get originals at less than the silly prices some ask.  I think I saw one that was available for ‘only’ £180!

Paul.

Hi Paul

Have you had a butchers at ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=lima+class+117+dmu&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

Out of interest whats the approximate size?

“Approximately” 3.93m x 2.82m less skirting boards when fitted.

I had a tape measure with me as well as a camera!

Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well. Today was moving day . . .

Or rather, at 20:29 yesterday evening it was.

Fortunately we are in a very short chain with flexibility at both ends.  Next attempt is 15th April, assuming the travel restrictions are not extended.

Having got very swift agreement and remover confirmation of a revised date, we are heartened by how relaxed we feel.

Tomorrow’s fun is that we had a brilliant glide path down to nothing left in the house: food, tissues, rolls of kitchen and other kind . . .

Keep safe.

Paul.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

After a rather long radio silence I can advise that we managed to find a removal company that was working and have moved out of our flat.  It turns out that they had only just started up again and we were that crew’s first work in 8 weeks.  We are now resident on the Wirral waiting for the house to be completed.  12 June is the current projected date.  Carpets were ordered this morning to be fitted from 13th. Hard flooring for the ‘hobby’ room will take a little longer due to lead times on ordering.

Then the fun begins!

Paul.

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

After a rather long radio silence I can advise that we managed to find a removal company that was working and have moved out of our flat.  It turns out that they had only just started up again and we were that crew’s first work in 8 weeks.  We are now resident on the Wirral waiting for the house to be completed.  12 June is the current projected date.  Carpets were ordered this morning to be fitted from 13th. Hard flooring for the ‘hobby’ room will take a little longer due to lead times on ordering.

Then the fun begins!

Paul.

...and I see you've changed your shedcode already! Good luck.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

...and I see you've changed your shedcode already!

I’ve  discovered that we were nearer to Dawsholm than Hyndland so I’ve reverted to 1948 designations (1950 for Sc) and added some more.

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

I’ve  discovered that we were nearer to Dawsholm than Hyndland so I’ve reverted to 1948 designations (1950 for Sc) and added some more.

Paul

A former colleague, mentor and friend, who only died last year, was at Dawsholm when the three preserved Scottish locos were based there.

When another former colleague retired, one of his gifts was a plaque bearing about a dozen replica smokebox shed plates, one for each of the places he had worked. For the first and last time he was lost for words!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

NEW TRAIN ROOM

We moved into our new house on Wednesday:

1451010769_200628TrainRoom1.JPG.c45617e2527a79f53f9172cddf2b9f27.JPG

403871300_200628TrainRoom2.JPG.c413c398b6e6b7b74d96d919911a5662.JPG

One Train Room;

1566124630_200628LayoutKit.JPG.0dd70aa532123986fb184955f56e0898.JPG

one layout kit;

1341504448_200628BigProblem.JPG.ffc3fe1ee6a8b776d3643365cad78912.JPG

and one big problem!

The eagle eyed amongst you will notice our Covid-19 bespoke handcrafted garage door:  the proper door has been promised on "Wednesday" for each of the past four weeks.  It is still promised for Wednesday!

We have a Covid-19 special kitchen too, but we've known about that since the lockdown in Germany started. 

Paul.

Edited by 5BarVT
Photo reload.
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

NEW TRAIN ROOM

One Train Room;

one layout kit;

and one big problem!

The eagle eyed amongst you will notice our Covid-19 bespoke handcrafted garage door:  the proper door has been promised on "Wednesday" for each of the past four weeks.  It is still promised for Wednesday!

We have a Covid-19 special kitchen too, but we've known about that since the lockdown in Germany started. 

Paul.

Very nice Paul. No stopping you now. Set the layout on a dull winter's day and you won't even need a backscene.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

NEW TRAIN ROOM

Paul.

Good luck with the new train room Paul. 

Our kitchen is fine but we are waiting for a Covid 19 3 piece suite. On order since January, it is promised for Tuesday...

• RMweb Gold
On 28/06/2020 at 15:27, Clive Mortimore said:

Get the baseboards laying on the floor taking up room as quickly as possible

Like this?

790978749_200701OnFloor.JPG.fae26fb219f6357e95e6a4db75284472.JPG

Paul.

Edited by 5BarVT
Photo reload.
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

We're Back!  Not the royal 'We', just me and my mojo both at the same time.  After quite a while waiting for Covd-19 delays, the snagging and redecorating in the train room has been completed and the blind fitted so I have full access to sort, tidy and get on!  As it's a new house I have gone for freestanding supports rather than my previous 'Spur' shelving bolted to the walls.

966303289_201010Ikea.JPG.a93e4c5b5f63654a223a083468571de7.JPG

That has generated the need to do some proof of concept design and construction.  The cardboard 'baseboards' are to prove that I can get them in and out past the Ikea supports without dismantling to whole lot.  The answer is 'Yes' but it did involve a change to the relative lengths of the bottom two boards.

The old layout fits around the new shelving (just!) but has to be higher than the final design (hence 'just').

638502909_201010HT.JPG.9e816bfdc5c5ae31a75687e23e957903.JPG

More proof of concept in the sloping addition: I've never used gradients before so have tested on 1:20 to see what happens.  Forget Hornby 08 with 6 on - can't even hold on the gradient.  Fortunately I'm not expecting that in service.  I will have 1:40 for the main lines but including curves, and 1:25 on the branch but with a length limit of 4.  So concept proved.  Now I'm doing final baseboard dimensions so that I can order a kit of parts for the extra boards in the new set up.

And since the operating area will have the signalbox in there at some point, the obligatory notice is ready and waiting.

947396158_201010Notice.JPG.c139b4f7508bc00df095c0e2e2a7b5ea.JPG

Watch this space . . .

Patiently!

Paul.

Edited by 5BarVT
Photo reload.
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

We're Back!  Not the royal 'We', just me and my mojo both at the same time.  After quite a while waiting for Covd-19 delays, the snagging and redecorating in the train room has been completed and the blind fitted so I have full access to sort, tidy and get on!  As it's a new house I have gone for freestanding supports rather than my previous 'Spur' shelving bolted to the walls.

1957523169_201010Ikea.JPG.381dd0a9d86e05eb5c467a6662322fd1.JPG

That has generated the need to do some proof of concept design and construction.  The cardboard 'baseboards' are to prove that I can get them in and out past the Ikea supports without dismantling to whole lot.  The answer is 'Yes' but it did involve a change to the relative lengths of the bottom two boards.

The old layout fits around the new shelving (just!) but has to be higher than the final design (hence 'just').

361611854_201010HT.JPG.fb62dba6fc1ee7dd0b0e943c0f1a3889.JPG

More proof of concept in the sloping addition: I've never used gradients before so have tested on 1:20 to see what happens.  Forget Hornby 08 with 6 on - can't even hold on the gradient.  Fortunately I'm not expecting that in service.  I will have 1:40 for the main lines but including curves, and 1:25 on the branch but with a length limit of 4.  So concept proved.  Now I'm doing final baseboard dimensions so that I can order a kit of parts for the extra boards in the new set up.

And since the operating area will have the signalbox in there at some point, the obligatory notice is ready and waiting.

1606838618_201010Notice.JPG.9318697f11f9b4cb323399b399ff7506.JPG

Watch this space . . .

Patiently!

Paul.

Hi Paul

Now waiting for a video of trains in motion .

As for that sign, I think I need to consult young Gibbo as to how much a year a sign like that will cost you in the G*R swear box.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

As for that sign, I think I need to consult young Gibbo as to how much a year a sign like that will cost you in the G*R swear box.

Can my G*R box door plate and shedplate with the grime still on it be offset by the selection of LNWR, LMS and LMR bits in my archive? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Can my G*R box door plate and shedplate with the grime still on it be offset by the selection of LNWR, LMS and LMR bits in my archive? 

Hi Eric

Without consulting with Gibbo I think that is a yes..............as for Paul's sign????????

• RMweb Gold
On 28/06/2020 at 11:45, 5BarVT said:

NEW TRAIN ROOM

273338567_TrainRoom1.JPG.3682bd29124dfe870ee580df9161bc0c.JPG 383525272_TrainRoom2.JPG.89a8170ceea163bc2cb45220900fe869.JPG

One Train Room;

1505838940_LayoutKit.JPG.35c0d875fefb0a020cfcd36cfcef7e2e.JPG

Aaaargh!

Why can't architects/specifiers/installers have a bit of pride in their work?

I know it's "only" in a garage, but why haven't they installed a boiler capable of being stood off the wall and having the pipes hidden?, that is an abomination and makes my eyes bleed.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1