Middleton Central

M.R.P.G

"WESTFIELD" IS BORN - New name, the layout is now called "MIDDLETON CENTRAL" (21/08/2022)

After the success of our first layout, Depot Lane, we have embarked on a larger project, Westfield.  We wanted to have a station layout that... allowed plenty of movements, looked good and didn't cost the earth - I started with C J Freezer's "Minories" plan and after a few adjustments, I came up with the current plan.

The fiddle yard was designed so it can be used on future projects as well !

post-31930-0-91326700-1529974601_thumb.jpg

Boards have been completed and are now painted ready for track laying

post-31930-0-90201500-1529974761_thumb.jpg

We wanted the boards to be self contained so, when attending shows, the layout can be set up and packed away quickly.

post-31930-0-89982100-1529974850_thumb.jpg

Note: The outside of the frames haven't been painted because backscene boards will be fitted after track laying is complete.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by M.R.P.G
to change layout name
  • Like 5

Looks good. A question though, how do the arrivals access Platform 4 / Parcels?

Hi Stubby47,

DMU and DPU arrivals can arrive into platform 4 directly, it is assumed there is a crossover the other side of the bridge.  Parcels coaching stock would arrive in platform 3 and be shunted into platform 4 by the station pilot, releasing the train loco.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by M.R.P.G

Your last layout ,depot lane, was fantastic so I look forward to seeing this layout develop. Will it be set in a flexible time period again?

Hi Luke,

Yes, we are intending running it as 1970-1980s or present day (although we do have some stock for other periods, we don't have enough for a full roster).  it does mean that we can't detail it 100% as either period but allowing the change of period will keep us interested in operating it (and give show organizers the option of period)

Thanks

Simon

Edited by M.R.P.G

Good design.

Size?

Hi Peter,

The fiddle-yard is 5ft 1in x 2ft (with a 4ft traverser), both of the scenic boards are 3ft 6in x 2ft,  (The squares on the plan are 1ft x 1ft but they aren't that clear unless you click on the plan to view it bigger)

Cheers

Simon

A classic twelve-footer then...

Yep, just about!  It's 12ft 1in x 2ft.

We wanted the fiddle-yard to have a 4ft traverser with a row of 1ft tracks to release the locos when they return.  These sizes mean any stock from any period should fit.  The extra 1 inch is used for the track pieces that line up with the next board - there are multiple connecting tracks to enable us to use it on future layouts without being limited to a couple of connections.

post-31930-0-34770100-1530138844_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

Edited by M.R.P.G
  • Like 1

Hi Simon,

Nice track plan. Ill be keeping an eye out for your updates.

Ill be interested to see how your traverser works as regards movement and electrical connections and continuity as its an idea ive been toying with for a further layout.

Cheers

Trev :)

TRACK LAYING SOON...

This week we have fitted copper clad strip to the fiddle-yard baseboard at the board joins.  The track ends will be soldered to this to secure them to ensure reliable alignment every time.

The thicker strip, nearest to the camera, is the for the one inch board alignment tracks that will connect with the first scenic board (The full one inch lengths of rail will be soldered to the copper clad board)

post-31930-0-51193700-1530575633_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

You should be called 'The Midnight MRC'- that's when most of your messages were posted.

We meet at Shaun's house on Monday nights and are usually there until midnight.  I then get home at 12:30am, upload any pictures taken and then make the posts on RMweb.  I am not in work then until 7:00pm Tuesday nights, so I don't need to go to bed early.  (Even thought this weekend we were exhibiting at Ruddington all weekend, I still managed to stay awake!  :jester: )

Cheers

Simon

Edited by M.R.P.G
  • Like 3

TRACK LAYING BEGINS!

We started with the two central tracks and after removing the sleepers, where the track sits over the copper clad strip, it was glued down using UHU.  The tracks were then soldered to the copper clad and once solid, cut through with a slitting disc in a mini-drill.

The two "traverser" tracks were then used to align the rest of the loco storage tracks at the end of the fiddle-yard.  Once these were complete we added the other tracks to the traverser.

Note: The copper still need to be slit through to prevent "shorts" when wired up!

Starting at the "far end" of the fiddle-yard

post-31930-0-88392500-1531178646_thumb.jpg

The tracks at this end of the traverser and the loco storage tracks are now complete

post-31930-0-51849400-1531178770_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading

Simon

Edited by M.R.P.G
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A couple of assumptions first, followed by a question.

As you've tagged the thread DCC sound, I'm assuming the loco tracks are to save handling the locos and thus breaking the electrical contact (stopping the sound). This will also help with preventing locos going through a start-up sound sequence when re-energised.

So I'm assuming the loco stands will be live at all times, as will the traverser.

Thus I see a train entering the FY on to the traverser (where it all fits). From here the traverser will be re-aligned with a spare loco stand line and the loco uncoupled and driven off.  As there are no loco stands on the left-end of the traverser (as drawn in the OP) how will the locos be returned to the front of an outgoing train?

There might possibly be a couple of tracks under the Midland Warehouse, but it's not clear if all the traverser tracks will reach these.

Stu

A couple of assumptions first, followed by a question.

As you've tagged the thread DCC sound, I'm assuming the loco tracks are to save handling the locos and thus breaking the electrical contact (stopping the sound). This will also help with preventing locos going through a start-up sound sequence when re-energised.

So I'm assuming the loco stands will be live at all times, as will the traverser.

Thus I see a train entering the FY on to the traverser (where it all fits). From here the traverser will be re-aligned with a spare loco stand line and the loco uncoupled and driven off.  As there are no loco stands on the left-end of the traverser (as drawn in the OP) how will the locos be returned to the front of an outgoing train?

There might possibly be a couple of tracks under the Midland Warehouse, but it's not clear if all the traverser tracks will reach these.

Stu

Hi Stu

All of the above is spot-on!

We didn't want to handle the locos other than setting up and taking down the layout and, as you stated, we also wanted to avoid DCC sound restarts.

There will be two tracks under the warehouse for housing locos ready to be reattached on the 'front' of a set of coaches.  All of the traverser tracks will not reach these tracks - the bottom track will probable used as a way of returning locos to/from the layout via the "loco depot" track (lowest track exiting the scenic section) also providing more movements.

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the reply Simon.

Assuming (again) that you'll be using a second controller to move the locos around within the FY, you'll need to be especially careful not to send a loco off it's stand line when the traverser is not lined up...  (eg picking the wrong loco code).  Maybe something like golf tees in holes in front of each loco on the stand to make sure if it does move, it doesn't drop. 

But then, you might be really good operators where this sort of thing never happens :)

Thanks for the reply Simon.

Assuming (again) that you'll be using a second controller to move the locos around within the FY, you'll need to be especially careful not to send a loco off it's stand line when the traverser is not lined up...  (eg picking the wrong loco code).  Maybe something like golf tees in holes in front of each loco on the stand to make sure if it does move, it doesn't drop. 

But then, you might be really good operators where this sort of thing never happens :)

Fair point...

I hadn't thought of that, but now you've mentioned it, we will try and think of a solution (i like the golf tee idea as a starting point though!)

Cheers

Simon

Not all of us are that good at operating, mentioning no names...

Hi! Great ldea!

Does the traverse have bracing underneath? (Photos please!) Are you using drawer runners mounted on their sides? Are you going to have a locking mechanism? Does it only work within its foot print? i.e. track 2 can not access track 1 loco siding.

Will you put thin sides on the moving traverse, for protection and to move it?

You could always fix a thin ply sheet underneath, to protect against accidents!

Good luck, I will be watching development!

Hi! Great ldea!

Does the traverse have bracing underneath? (Photos please!) Are you using drawer runners mounted on their sides? Are you going to have a locking mechanism? Does it only work within its foot print? i.e. track 2 can not access track 1 loco siding.

Will you put thin sides on the moving traverse, for protection and to move it?

You could always fix a thin ply sheet underneath, to protect against accidents!

Good luck, I will be watching development!

Hi muddy water,

Photos will have to follow (the boards are at Shaun's house)  :)

I had an idea to build the traverser with no runners to keep the costs down.  From testing, with heavy weights on the traverser, the friction doesn't seem to be an issue (so far!).  The movement is limited towards the viewing side as there will be a fascia on it but towards the operators it will extend a few tracks over.

We will be fitting a locking mechanism but it will need to be a tight fit because any slack will cause misalignment - this is still being though about!

The back-scene boards and the 'sides' for the traverser etc were cut when we bought the timber for the baseboard frames, tops and legs.  These will be fitted after track laying, wiring and testing.

I have had two ideas to solve the 'loco lemming connundrum' (LLC) pointed out by Stu and a 'board under' is one of them - but it cannot foul the folding of the legs and wouldn't stop the locos until they leave the track!  A solution will also need to be found to stop trains leaving the traverser tracks that 'overhang' the operating area.  :scratchhead:

Cheers

Simon

Edited by M.R.P.G
  • Like 1