Pecketts Wharf.

sb67

post-24-0-85184500-1530597840.jpg

Morning Rob, I've been trying to replicate Arun Quay in AnyRail but I'm not sure it looks so good. I know it was hand built track so I guess that's how it fits. I've done a rough sketch of my 3 way plan which i actually quite like, it is based on a plan from Gordon Gravetts book on 7mm modelling which I thinkhas been built on here somewhere, instead of the sector plate I could use a set of points, that would make the fiddle yard easier to build.

Thanks for your interest.

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

In my defence I should just point out that I was going for operational interest and docks do often have dense trackwork, which makes them good subjects for small layouts.

If the track is inset into the yard surface it will have less visual impact than normal trackwork.

Of course the trackwork itself is only a small part of making a layout look spacious. The backscene, hiding the edges, suggesting continuation of track beyond the edges, carefully positioned view blockers so that you can't see everything at a glance, etc., etc. also play a large part.

• RMweb Gold

For interest, I've drawn the Arun Quay topology using Peco Streamline OO geometry in 5ft * 1ft:

post-32492-0-34676300-1530621429_thumb.png

It's obviously not as elegant as the real thing due to the fixed Streamline geometry!

Edit: Notice the interesting run round manoeuvre required by the single slip...

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Is that single slip the right way round? If it were reversed (or a double) then there would be a run round.

"Right" is a very subjective term! ;-) Let's just say it agrees with the photos...

I won't post possibly copyright images here but if you search for "Arun Quay" in Google and then click "Images" you'll see the images I used to deduce the trackplan.

BTW: I notice that Arun Quay is coming to the Minehead exhibition at the beginning of August so I'll be really interested to see it in the flesh.

• Like 1

For interest, I've drawn the Arun Quay topology using Peco Streamline OO geometry in 5ft * 1ft:

attachicon.gifsb67 12 AQ.png

It's obviously not as elegant as the real thing due to the fixed Streamline geometry!

Edit: Notice the interesting run round manoeuvre required by the single slip...

I think this plan has lost something in the re drawing.   Try as I might I can't see any way to actually operate it.  The slip looks the wrong way round but unless you remove almost all the wagons via a connection to the top right I before bringing more in I don't see any way to shunt it sensibly.   I would reverse the slip and add a second siding right front.  Actually I would trim Peco points to give 45mm or less 6ft, which would save wasted length, better still handbuild custom track to get the best use of the space, as a Peco long crossing/ single slip will completely dominate this size of layout

• RMweb Gold

Looking again at Phils plan it is incorrect.

The below is amended. The train enters at point A from the fiddle yard which is to the left of the scenic section.

The point above is a r/h as opposed to l/h, hence the angle.

I attach an aerial photo as credited.

Rob.

post-14122-0-58849400-1530712483.png

post-14122-0-21801100-1530712513.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I think this plan has lost something in the re drawing.   Try as I might I can't see any way to actually operate it.  The slip looks the wrong way round but unless you remove almost all the wagons via a connection to the top right I before bringing more in I don't see any way to shunt it sensibly.   I would reverse the slip and add a second siding right front.  Actually I would trim Peco points to give 45mm or less 6ft, which would save wasted length, better still handbuild custom track to get the best use of the space, as a Peco long crossing/ single slip will completely dominate this size of layout

Yes it has definitely lost something by using off-the-shelf parts but as far as I can tell it is operationally identical to the original, the proportions are not far out and the spacing between sidings is deliberate - because I think that's what I see in the photos.

I'm not sure where the fiddle yard exit is. Bottom left? [Edit: yes]

It was just an exercise in seeing whether the basic layout would fit at all in a 5ft by 1ft space in OO/4mm scale.

Edit: Revised:

post-32492-0-52434200-1530714915_thumb.png

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 2

Having had a search for some track I've come across a code 100 3 way point and small radius y point. I was thinking of using this and wondered what this idea would be like to operate? It's based on a layout called Horsely Bank, the fiddle yard being a sector plate conecting the 3 tracks.

attachicon.gifHorsely bank my version2.jpg

The combination of kick-back siding and sector plate may not be ideal. The kick-back makes for a lot more running round and the sector plate makes running round less satisfying (IMHO) because it's using the theatrical fakery* rather than the implied layout of the "real" yard.

If I was doing this, I'd drop the kick-back and use the Y turnout to make a very short siding, diverging to the bottom left and pointing to the front of the layout. This would have some single-wagon facility, probably a coal-unloading tippler. I'd then shunt the whole thing with the loco to the right of the wagons.

Concerning the purpose of the yard, how about (a corner of) a cement works? Eats coal like it's going out of fashion, dispatches product in various interesting wagons, has serious industrial plant to represent along the layout edges.

*NB: theatrical fakery, done properly, is good for audiences and exhibiting but less satisfying for the operator of a home layout.

• RMweb Gold

Yes it has definitely lost something by using off-the-shelf parts but as far as I can tell it is operationally identical to the original, the proportions are not far out and the spacing between sidings is deliberate - because I think that's what I see in the photos.

I'm not sure where the fiddle yard exit is. Bottom left? [Edit: yes]

It was just an exercise in seeing whether the basic layout would fit at all in a 5ft by 1ft space in OO/4mm scale.

Edit: Revised:

attachicon.gifsb67 12 AQ2.png

Should easily fit, Phil.  Arun is a little over 7ft in O so should fit in 4ft,,,,,,,ish,

Rob.

Hello, I have decided to build a layout based on Hartlepool station but I don't know if there are any kits for the station?

Sorry I dont know of any kits.

post-24-0-15186800-1530911149.jpeg

Time for some planning, I struggle with this bit, I must try and stick to my original idea as I'm already thinking of trying to fit in more than is possible!

Steve.

• Like 1

post-24-0-83138900-1530941982.jpg

First try, the max train length would be an 0-4-0 + 3 10ft wheelbase wagons, I'm already thinking I could then run an 0-6-0 and 3 wagons and even a smaller diesel and 1 or 2 wagons. Or even an 08 and some air braked stock, I'm trying to get a bit of flexibility with the layout but sometimes get carried away! 

Steve.

post-24-0-39903600-1530943141.jpg

Second try, using a full run round loop I think I could still use the same length train and just about run round 4 wagons, the kick back siding is a bit shorter and it means I'll have to get 2 more sets of points. 

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

Morning Steve.

This is Sheep Lane. The length of the scenic section is 110cm x 26cm wide. Overall length 190cm.

So it is actually less than 4ft in length and less than a foot wide. However it is still fun to operate and gives an illusion of space.

You can also play on the dining table!!

Rob.

post-14122-0-79567600-1530944181_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-44465500-1530944344_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-63338600-1530944556_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-08341800-1530944611_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Rob, I really like Sheep Lane and Bleat Wharf. I've come up with another plan which gives a kick back siding which I think would add a bit of interest to shunting, but I'm not sure if I'm trying to get too much track in there. It all depends on what I can get at the show today as my original brief for this layout was not too end up buying more stuff but if it's there then.........

What is the largest loco you can accomodate on Sheep Lane? 

post-24-0-06748000-1530948746.jpg

Steve. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

At a squeeze!!!!.....I can have a Crab 2.6.0 there. Normally it is a 4F 0.6.0 or a 3F as per photos. They are fine with two wagons and a brake van. Bleat is a bit bigger so can go up to loco plus four wagons and a brake van.

attachicon.gif 36732126_10217597119746783_8019292596964687872_n.jpg

First try, the max train length would be an 0-4-0 + 3 10ft wheelbase wagons, I'm already thinking I could then run an 0-6-0 and 3 wagons and even a smaller diesel and 1 or 2 wagons. Or even an 08 and some air braked stock, I'm trying to get a bit of flexibility with the layout but sometimes get carried away! 

Steve.

I couldn't find any points at the show I went to yesterday so I've decided to go with what I've got and use this plan. I'd like to use stuff I have already and I like the idea of testing my woodworking skills and building either a sector plate or a traverser. I would like to keep the idea of a viewpoint from the land on the quayside as a backscene but I have no idea how to do that at the moment so that might change. Next step is to get the baseboard built.

Thanks for all your help and input guys, I appreciate that.

Steve.

post-24-0-14799000-1531039875.jpg

I quite like the idea of this, reversing the sidings and having a long siding at the front possibly going into a warehouse or with an unloading crane and the kick back siding going to the quayside and using veiw blockers extending it to the fiddle yard so any wagons open could be loaded or unloaded then returned.

I like the idea of the longer siding at the front so that I can stand locos or wagons on display.

Steve.

post-24-0-21501800-1531324319_thumb.jpg

Baseboard all built, the sector plate is at the far end, now for putting the track on it! I've never built one before so any advice would be appreciated, not really sure how to wire it etc.

Steve.