Pecketts Wharf.

sb67

post-24-0-72939800-1531329493_thumb.jpg

Whilst rummaging through the track box I found another set of points, bit dissapointed now but I'm going to keep my original idea but use them to add an extra small siding. I've not a lot of room for buildings so before I go sticking track down I think I better do some mock ups of stuff.

Steve.

Started laying the track but having a problem using the y point coming straight off the sector plate, the geometry doesn't seem to work to get it to line up. I might have to lose the point and just have three roads coming off the sector plate, which would be a shame as I might then revert back to another plan I had and reverse the view point and have a more conventional backscene. 

Steve

Edited by sb67

• RMweb Gold

Whoa!  Take a step back.  A sector plate is a piece (a section of) a circle.  All I see is straight lines. You will need to curve something they cannot be (as they look, though I may be mistaken) straight tracks.  You cannot curve a Y point (well you can and I have but I don't recommend it).  You will need to curve the other plain track.  I suggest you put the centre of the sector plate square with the Y point - which it isn't at the moment - and curve the plain line into the sector plate.  I would suggest your sector plate needs a curve on its face? Else how does it turn?

Cheers guys There is a curve on the sector plate, I'll try and get some better pics tomorrow. The problem I'm having is I think the radius of the y point is too sharp for the way I've built the sector plate. If I did away with the y point I could get three tracks to come off the sector plate.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

The Y point turns out 12o each way from the straight (assuming it's a Streamline short Y).  So if you want the left-hand track from the Y to be parallel to the other road coming off the sector plate, you need an angle of 12o between the sector plate exits.  I'm not sure the radius of the point makes any difference.  The medium Y turns out 6o each way.  Any help?

Cheers

Chris

I hope these pics show what I mean. I'm not sure if I've cut the sector plate wrong or you just cant do what I want using the plate, if I move the y point along and straighten it the loop line is not straight,  either way I quite like not using the y point and it probably looks a bit better with a shallower curve but it means a bit less space at the edge of the board to disguise the exit. I want to persevere as I've never done a sector plate before.

post-24-0-28181000-1531907508.jpg

post-24-0-19675400-1531907635.jpg

Steve.

The Y point arrangement would have worked with the pivot much closer to the ends of the track. If you still want to use it, it would need to go further round or at a different angle.

It's hard to describe it exactly in text, but it could be made to work. However your 3 track convergence version is simpler...

Thanks for the repy guys.

I think you're making life difficult for yourself by (a.) not planning it to scale in advance and (b.) restricting the components you're using.

Phil, what do you mean about restricting the the components?

The Y point arrangement would have worked with the pivot much closer to the ends of the track. If you still want to use it, it would need to go further round or at a different angle.

It's hard to describe it exactly in text, but it could be made to work. However your 3 track convergence version is simpler...

I think I understand the bit about moving the point round or a closer pivot point, that kind of confirms why it doesn't work. 

Steve.

I would make a narrower sector plate deck and move the sector plate pivot forward until the angles work.  Otherwise the exit tracks will be too close to allow vehicles to pass for a few inches nearest the sector plate which is not good on such a small layout.

My last sector plate used a Dapol Turntable deck. Having the sector plate move very freely is pretty much essential as any jerks and you have a derailment. Running on ball races or laminate flooring deck running on laminate flooring base work well. 

post-21665-0-99107100-1531943370.png

Edited by DavidCBroad

• RMweb Gold

Phil, what do you mean about restricting the the components?

Just that the decision to use the small Y and the 3-way seem to be forcing a design on you, rather than you coming up with the design you want and picking points to make it work...

Edited by Harlequin

Just that the decision to use the small Y and the 3-way seem to be forcing a design on you, rather than you coming up with the design you want and picking points to make it work...

Thanks Phil, it does feel like I'm doing that a bit but my idea was to use up my stock of code 100 I had. I feel it looks a bit better without the y point.  I think that you are right and the description ''forcing a design on you'' is probably why I struggle sometimes actually building layouts.

Steve. 

• RMweb Premium

If the sector plate track was 18", it would look like this using the short Y (you would obviously have the pivot point more to the left, I just centred  everything on x = 6, y = 12):

post-6206-0-77989100-1531934029.jpg

The parallel track centres come out just under 4.5 inches apart - governed by the length of the sector plate track (plus any track you might insert between the sector plate and the point).

If you used the medium Y, which only turns out 6o instead of 12o, the gap comes down to fractionally over 2".

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Chimer

Thanks for that Chris, I'm going to hang on to that pic for future reference. I realise now that I cant use the short radius y in the way I originally thought unless I make some changes.

Steve. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve.

Whilst I am an advocate of 'Just build it....'I think in this case perhaps it's time to just stop and draw breath.

Phils post above is spot on. The available track is dictating what you are doing.

Once the track is down, there is still a lot to do to produce a working layout that you are happy with. If you are not it becomes a chore and could end up being abandoned through sheer frustration( I know this....)

There is balance to strike between debating and building but to reiterate, I would just take time out. Perhaps revisit Arun Quay, hide the three way point and look again.

Remember.......less is more......

Rob

• Like 1

Thanks Rob, I've enough track down to roll some wagons around and see what works before I go further and I havent used the y point. I've ended up with 3 sidings one being a kick back with a limited headshunt in order to complicate shunting a bit.

Steve.

post-24-0-05287300-1531976164.jpg

Been playing! I can comfortably get an 08, 4 short wheelbase wagons and a brake van in the fiddle yard. The kick back siding on the right will lead offstage to a quayside/warehouse and the long siding on the left will enter a warehouse/loading shed which will also be used to veiw block that end of the layout. The shorter siding in the middle could be used to park locos/wagons/brake van and the headshunt for the quayside can only hold 2 wagons and a loco. It all seems to be ok but I need to think of a way of covering the exit tracks. I've got one idea using a warehouse on the right and a water tower on the left with a walkway behind it and pipework in front. I'll do some mock ups first. 

Steve.

Edited by sb67
  • Like 1

post-24-0-23084200-1532371334_thumb.jpg

Made a mock up of one end of the layout, I'm not really sure about it as it doesn't cover the racks as well as I thought. There will be a backscene behind and I'd like to put some pipes in front of the walkway but it still wont hide the entrance too well. 3 tracks is quite a lot to disguse. I'm not sure what else I could do. The building on the left is to be a water tower and maybe I could bring the walkway in front of it? I would also paint the sector plate dark colours so as to hide it a bit.

Steve.

Edited by sb67

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif37694223_10217733750322462_5704980066862104576_n.jpg

Made a mock up of one end of the layout, I'm not really sure about it as it doesn't cover the racks as well as I thought. There will be a backscene behind and I'd like to put some pipes in front of the walkway but it still wont hide the entrance too well. 3 tracks is quite a lot to disguse. I'm not sure what else I could do. The building on the left is to be a water tower and maybe I could bring the walkway in front of it? I would also paint the sector plate dark colours so as to hide it a bit.

Steve.

Hi Steve.

Try swapping them over. The bigger building to the front, smaller to the rear. Also, can you lower the walkway?

More of a letter box effect..

You could 'box in ' the front of the fiddle yard, top as well as sides leaving the rear two thirds open for access...

Rob

Hi Steve.

Try swapping them over. The bigger building to the front, smaller to the rear. Also, can you lower the walkway?

More of a letter box effect..

You could 'box in ' the front of the fiddle yard, top as well as sides leaving the rear two thirds open for access...

Rob

Thanks Rob, I thought about a bigger building at the front but I havent got lots of room. It would prob look better with the backscene and I will try and box in the fiddle yard. I was also thinking of a front fascia and extending the backscene around the front so that you view the layout through a "letterbox" I think that might help. I cant think of any other way to conceal the exit so I might get on with getting stuff running and infilling the track.

Steve.

• 3 weeks later...

Been runing stuff around and after a problem with a bit of track mis aligned all seems to be working. I might put a couple of isolating sections in the sidings and then it's on to covering the track in concrete, still not sure how to do it! 

Steve.

post-24-0-53525700-1534221646_thumb.jpg

I've added a backscene and given my layout a name. It might not be too noticable in the photo but there's about an inch gap between the backscene and the baseboard  to give the impressing of a dock edge. I've decided to just paint it a suitable neutral colour as I cant find anything suitable for my backscene and I'm not talented enough to paint my own, just need to find a colour.

Steve.