Pecketts Wharf.

sb67

Pecketts Wharf is just right, Steve. Coming on very well.

Rob.

Thanks Rob, next bit is to start filling in the track, I'll do the gaps in the sleepers first, that does make a difference.

Steve.

post-24-0-96009100-1534961193_thumb.jpg

I've finished the backscene for the moment, not fixed permanently yet as I might remove it to do scenic work on the far side. I've been making some mock buildings to see what might work but I havent got a firm idea yet of how to veiw block the exit to the fiddle yard, the picture shows the whole of the scenic bit and the fiddle yard is on the left.

Steve.

• Like 1

post-24-0-82021100-1535053651_thumb.jpeg

post-24-0-10535000-1535053665.jpeg

post-24-0-02380000-1535053681.jpeg

Been running stuff and trying some buildings. I like the small brown shed but I think the larger one hides that end of the layout better. I'm not entirely sure how to hide the left hand exit yet.

Steve.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Steve but I agree, filling in the sleepers is not the best.

Stick with it. Nearly done.

Rob

Thanks Rob, I'm doing the whole layout so still a bit to do. For the bit in the picture I'm going to use card for the concrete and havent quite worked out how to infill between the rails yet as I havent got any more rail to put a check rail in.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

post-24-0-52632400-1536556876_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-61339900-1536556896.jpg

I've nearly finished bringing the ground level up to the sleepers and filling in gaps, I've made a few rough spots and places to add puddles.

It looks very rough at the moment, not long now and I can get on with the fun stuff!

Seve.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Steve looks like a labour of love to me . I polyfilled a whole dockside scene years ago on and abandoned layout ,I suspect that might have been a cause of the abandonment .

Have you looked at Andy Y’s Keyhaven Quay on the RM archive site ,well worth a visit for all sorts of reasons but one of the best quayside layouts I have seen .

Richard

Steve looks like a labour of love to me . I polyfilled a whole dockside scene years ago on and abandoned layout ,I suspect that might have been a cause of the abandonment .

Have you looked at Andy Y’s Keyhaven Quay on the RM archive site ,well worth a visit for all sorts of reasons but one of the best quayside layouts I have seen .

Richard

I studied Andys layout quite a bit, and agree it is a fantastic quayside layout. I like the exit to the fiddle yard on it, something I've not really decided how to do yet.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

post-24-0-38953600-1537455862_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-80521100-1537455878_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-73437200-1537455924_thumb.jpg

Finally covered everything in card, balsa wood and DAS clay, I'm not over keen on the bit between the rails but hopefull it will look ok when painted. The staright bits are fine but the curved bit are a bit bodged! 

Next step is a bit of a clean and see what runs, then coat the card in Shellac readfor the next bit.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 2

Regarding the three road exit offstage. Would it work if you made the “walkway” wider, then it would need intermediate support. Maybe columns with bracing ironwork that would partially obscure the exit?

That's not a bad idea, I would have to bring it forward a bit as there is not a lot of room between tracks. I will look at that when I come to do the buildings.

Steve.

Sorry I didn’t express that very well. By “wider” I meant extend it towards the front of the buildings. Covering a longer length of track hence several columns between each track to break the view.

I probably should have said “deeper”. I was thinking that it would be wider from the point of view of someone walking across.

Sorry I didn’t express that very well. By “wider” I meant extend it towards the front of the buildings. Covering a longer length of track hence several columns between each track to break the view.

I probably should have said “deeper”. I was thinking that it would be wider from the point of view of someone walking across.

That's ok I understood what you meant. I will prob do something like that and maybe put a couple of pipes or something in front of it too.

Steve.

post-24-0-38310400-1538116530_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-23880400-1538116539_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-62602900-1538116787_thumb.jpg

All shellaced and ready to paint, I built the steps going down to the 'waterside' that part will actually be the backscene so I would only see the top of it from the front. I also tried to fill in between one of the points, I've used balsa wood as I wanted it to look like planks of wood, not sure how that's going to look though.  Next bit is to try and make it look like a concrete/tarmac surface.

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

That's looking very good Steve.

I am trying to work out how I am going to cover the tie-bars on Bleat Wharf. One idea is that I use metal foil to simulate cast covers. Another is timber....

Not sure....

Rob.

• Like 1

Thanks Rob, I'm a bit worried about sticking everything together so I think I'll leave the tiebars, I'll just trim the wire sticking through a bit and there's not much room in my 3 way point to cover the middle so I'll leave that. I want to try a represent folded down point levers somehow, I havent quite worked that out yet. I'm hoping to start painting the concrete today.

Steve.

post-24-0-22882000-1538593003_thumb.jpeg

post-24-0-52136100-1538593711_thumb.jpeg

Started painting my groundwork.I used a mix of Humbrol gloss no 40 and 5 then, through and old sock sieved some talcum powder. Has anyone else used this mdethod? The problem I'm having is, should I hoover the talc up immediately or let all dry first? I keep ending up with white bits in my tarmac! I think I should make it all more of a uniform colour as well.

Steve.

• Like 4

post-24-0-69205900-1539006099_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-12993600-1539006116_thumb.jpg

Getting there with the concreting, I think the texture is a bit too coarse and the photo's make it look worse! But hopefully it will look ok with a bit of weathering.

Steve.

Edited by sb67
  • Like 1

post-24-0-12252300-1539067110_thumb.jpg

Still loads of work to do but last night I tidied up the dock edge with some railway sleeper sized strips of Balsa, I think that looks better now. Still got a lot of sanding and painting to do.

Steve.

• Like 1