Pecketts Wharf.

sb67

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Finished the walkaway, I used a small amount of talc to give the roof some texture. The wash I weathered it with has tried with a bit of a sheen, it was a Wider Black Smoke wash and no matter how much I mix it, it dries like this, so I might re do that and add some powders in places.

Steve.

Could you just give it a blast of matt varnish?

Al.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

What I’ve discovered is applying Matt varnish over weathering powders washes away the powder

however if you mist IPA alcohol over first using an airbrush this ‘sets’ the powders and allows you to Matt varnish over the top (once the IPA has evaporated) without dislodging the powders

I did this on my buffer stop and it worked a treat

Try it on a test piece first though, I wouldn’t want to be responsible if it doesn’t work for you

Thanks guys, I'll try a couple of thinned paint washes and then varnish before I put the powders on. That's interesting about using IPA to fix the powders, I might have a practice at that. I have tried varnishing over powders before but found it dulled the colours too much. 

Steve.

Finished the walkway, just a bit of weathering and downpipes to do, whilst I'm pleased with how it's turned out the problem is, the more I look at it I think it is far too big for the buildings :( I measured it from photo's of a model but the warehouses were much, much bigger, not sure what to do now, not having any other ideas I'll leave it alone for a bit, just wont fix it in place.

66276677_328100134741420_7378273027298951168_n.jpg.f6bdd29277715e452592da5170798222.jpg

Steve

Edited by sb67
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve. 

This might not help..........

The walk way has turned out really nicely. However, could the issue be that it seems to be mid-way between two floors? 

I know nothing of the prototype but it seems to sit too high for the lower floor but too low for the upper floor in terms of walkway/floor height? 

Not sure. 

Rob. 

• Agree 3

Hi Rob, that stands out for me too but it cant go any lower or much higher, I have seen prototypes where that's the case but I think in this case it doesn't look too good. Needs a re think and maybe a smaller walkway.

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

I thought a walkway would be more like the Airfix footbridge, but maybe panelled on one side, open on the other and a curved corrugated iron sheet roof, with maybe a pipe or two running alongside on brackets.

To get the floor height correct, a short outside staircase, again pannelled in, could be added alongside, reaching from the 1st floor to the walkway.

If these ramblings are not clear, I can add a sketch later.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1

That sounds interesting Stubby, I've got an Airfix footbridge that could be dismantled. Failing that I thought of constructing a new building a bit taller, say this height.

66596871_767327933669348_364125879950901248_n.jpg.7dfc504b6db23ec99ee140371b1d575d.jpg

Steve.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

I thought a walkway would be more like the Airfix footbridge, but maybe panelled on one side, open on the other and a curved corrugated iron sheet roof, with maybe a pipe or two running alongside on brackets.

To get the floor height correct, a short outside staircase, again pannelled in, could be added alongside, reaching from the 1st floor to the walkway.

If these ramblings are not clear, I can add a sketch later.

A couple of quick sketches.

peckets_wharf.jpg.a549a75ee4d45305ac2962a2b1b118d5.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think biting the bullet and building a smaller walkway would ultimately be the most satisfying outcome. If you identify something which stands out as wrong it then becomes very difficult to blind yourself to its shortcomings.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Neil said:

I think biting the bullet and building a smaller walkway would ultimately be the most satisfying outcome. If you identify something which stands out as wrong it then becomes very difficult to blind yourself to its shortcomings.

That's fair comment, but what the current walkway does very effectively, is help disguise the entrance to the fiddle yard. Not sure that a smaller profile bridge, perhaps partly open with lattice girders etc. would be quite so effective?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

See where you're coming from here CK, if it was my problem I'd build a smaller and lower enclosed walkway.. I'd maybe position it a little ahead of the backscene but finish the bottom edge of the backscene as a pipe bridge between the two buildings.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

We all 'know' there is a hole in the sky and whatever is used is a disguise, to me it's more how the bridge ( in this case) fits into the overall scene.

For example a 6-lane motorway bridge would probably look out-of-place, but a lightweight footbridge wouldn't.

• Like 1

I did think I could just say there's an internal staircase but in this case I really didn't think it looked right. I think it looks loads better when lined up with a floor. I really like your idea Stubby, not sure if my build skills are up to that, I think I'm going to try and build another building a bit taller and see how that looks and then I can have a try of building an outside staircase on the redundant building.

Steve. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, sb67 said:

.....not sure if my build skills are up to that

We really need a disagree button ;)

20 minutes ago, sb67 said:

I think I'm going to try and build another building a bit taller and see how that looks and then I can have a try of building an outside staircase on the redundant building.

Steve. 

Sounds like a good plan!

I’m certainly in no position to disagree with making things over and over again until we’re happy :blush:

Chris

• Thanks 1

I built a mock up of a smaller walkway I'd probably cover it with corrugated sheet and put a pipe gantry just behind it.

66458870_1082498521941218_272410499772055552_n.jpg.456090457e8dd2ff5f4ff2dd6479c514.jpg

I think it looks better, I did try and build an outside staircase but it didn't work out too good and there's not much room between the building and the track.

Steve.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve, all part of the fun of modelling, if you think it isn't quite right have another go, otherwise it will niggle you everytime you look at it. Have you thought about retaining your original walkway but reducing the height by trimming some off of the base, this would enable you to keep your excellent walkway. All the best Adrian. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, westerhamstation said:

Hi Steve, all part of the fun of modelling, if you think it isn't quite right have another go, otherwise it will niggle you everytime you look at it. Have you thought about retaining your original walkway but reducing the height by trimming some off of the base, this would enable you to keep your excellent walkway. All the best Adrian. 

You're right Adrian, that is part of the fun, and frustration ;) That is a good option too, I might also try and raise the height of the building a bit with a brick plinth. I dont think it has to come up by much just so that the bottom bridge is level with a floor.

Thanks.

Steve.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Does the building have an awning on the rear? Will this need to be lowered ?

Thinking more about the 'history' of the buildings,  they look as if they'd have been there long before the railway, and have used horse & cart for transportation of the goods. Given the lower height of these, the walkway would have been at floor level (1st floor).

Once the railway arrived, the walkway would have had to be raised (hence my idea of an outside staircase).

By raising the building, I think you are not necessarily following a historical sequence, if that makes sense.

But, it's your train set and Rule 1 applies, so ignore me.

Edited by Stubby47

56 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Does the building have an awning on the rear? Will this need to be lowered ?

Thinking more about the 'history' of the buildings,  they look as if they'd have been there long before the railway, and have used horse & cart for transportation of the goods. Given the lower height of these, the walkway would have been at floor level (1st floor).

Once the railway arrived, the walkway would have had to be raised (hence my idea of an outside staircase).

By raising the building, I think you are not necessarily following a historical sequence, if that makes sense.

But, it's your train set and Rule 1 applies, so ignore me.

Yep the awning would be lowered Stu. I like your thinking, I like little stories and reasons for things being there and that's something I don't always think about. I used to work in a brewery and over the years similar walkways with staircases and odd bits were added. Shame I didn't get any photo's 

Steve.

Edited by sb67

I've made a smaller version which I think looks loads better, even if it doesn't line up with the floor. I could prob leave it like that but I want to have  go at Stubby's idea of some covered steps from the first floor. Just need to work out some dimensions. 

66809944_2074924296136768_7906355860685717504_n.jpg.be974667271b2dfc720c80c1f0c018d9.jpg

Steve.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sb67 said:

.......I could prob leave it like that but I want to have  go at Stubby's idea of some covered steps from the first floor. Just need to work out some dimensions. 

I think it looks good as is but I agree that it’s worth having a look at what Stubby suggested....nothing ventured etc

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1