Pecketts Wharf.

sb67

Hi Chris, I've used a mix of woodland scenics fine turf and some sieved earth from the garden, there's also some 1mm static grass on there but that hasn't stood up too good. 

Hope that helps.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening Steve. 

Well worth the time and effort. This little area really looks the part, I must say. 

As for rope, try twisting a couple of strands of fine wire  together then painting and coiling it. 

Rob. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Rob, I've tried that and not done too well at it. I did start a thread about it and I've ordered some model ship rigging rope, so I'll try soaking it in pva to keep it flat. I'll practice the wire as well but I struggle to get it to sit right.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Alex, he layout is more or less done now. I'm just adding some bits and pieces, I does look a little bare if I'm honest but I'm thinking I can add some vehicles waiting to be loaded in a few places.

Steve.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 20/09/2019 at 10:30, sb67 said:

Bit more work on the rough ground, a bit of scatter material and static grass at the moment.

70622167_794867780911488_2092288353264205824_n.jpg.dba2daeebff0ed9730a7a8f6f951fb06.jpg

Steve.

I do like the way you've weathered the Scalescenes brickwork here, would you mind providing a few more details as to how this was achieved, please?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I do like the way you've weathered the Scalescenes brickwork here, would you mind providing a few more details as to how this was achieved, please?

Thanks.

Thanks Captain, I just brush painted them with matt varnish to which I'd added a tiny bit of dark grey then used weathering powders brushed on in various places. The wall just had a coat of matt varnish then some powders. You have to be careful painting the varnish on though as the papers can lift, it happened a couple of times but they settled down once dry.

Putting the powders on was done the same way Mr Bonwick does his loco's, using minute bits from the lid of the pot. I find using powders less is definitely more.

Steve. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, sb67 said:

You have to be careful painting the varnish on though as the papers can lift, it happened a couple of times but they settled down once dry.

Thanks, that's very interesting. I wonder if the problem might not occur, if the matt varnish was sprayed on, eg. from a rattle can, using something like Testors Dullcote or Humbrol Matt Acrylic varnish?

• Agree 1

I have sprayed both of those products onto my brick papers purely by accident when spraying other stuff and it comes out with the same white-grey finish, which can be lightly rubbed off with the fingers if needed when dry, i left mine as luckily it gave me the finish i wanted.

9 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Thanks, that's very interesting. I wonder if the problem might not occur, if the matt varnish was sprayed on, eg. from a rattle can, using something like Testors Dullcote or Humbrol Matt Acrylic varnish?

I guess sprayed on, providing you didn't put too much on, wouldn't cause a problem. I'll have to try it next time I use them. 

Steve.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Owd Bob said:

I have sprayed both of those products onto my brick papers purely by accident when spraying other stuff and it comes out with the same white-grey finish, which can be lightly rubbed off with the fingers if needed when dry, i left mine as luckily it gave me the finish i wanted.

That's interesting and a bit alarming as well, perhaps.

For what it's worth, this small Scalescenes 'freebie' brick building was sprayed with Dullcote, prior to receiving a very light application of a few powders. Fortunately there was no incidence of a white-grey finish as you describe.

20191007_100045.jpg.04bf8f0eb93ddb279943a1671ca74012.jpg

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

That's interesting and a bit alarming as well, perhaps.

For what it's worth, this small Scalescenes 'freebie' brick building was sprayed with Dullcote, prior to receiving a very light application of a few powders. Fortunately there was no incidence of a white-grey finish as you describe.

20191007_100045.jpg.04bf8f0eb93ddb279943a1671ca74012.jpg

That looks good Captain, I do like the scalescenes stuff. 

Steve

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, sb67 said:

That looks good Captain, I do like the scalescenes stuff. 

Thanks, I've built and modified one or two of their other kits for another layout that's also under construction. I was pondering on the best methods to weather the brickpapers, and was advised to try a gentle waft of Dullcote by Mick Bonwick.

1 minute ago, Captain Kernow said:

Thanks, I've built and modified one or two of their other kits for another layout that's also under construction. I was pondering on the best methods to weather the brickpapers, and was advised to try a gentle waft of Dullcote by Mick Bonwick.

I always wonder about weathering brickpapers, tried various methods. Fortunatley the scalescenes dont need too much. I always like to varnish them for a bit of protection I've also tried watercolour pencils and washes but think powders are the best method. I've never sealed the powders after though.

steve.

• Informative/Useful 2

I've been using Scalescenes papers for a while now, printed on matte photographic paper, and sprayed with Humbrol matt acrylic varnish before using. I've had it go white on me once, and yes the powder like residue can be brushed off when dry, but it's a bit alarming when it happens. I think the Humbrol varnish goes "off" on the tin quite quickly after you start using it, so when I'm starting a new project I start with a new tin.

Alex

• Like 1

• 5 months later...