Railex North East 2018 - 28th & 29th July @ John Spence Community High School North Shields NE29 9PU

North Eastern

Myself and my wife had a great time on the Sunday when we visited, and a great selection of layouts to view. I was particularly taken with 'Fence Houses', just WOW!!! 2mm finescale at its upmost best, and the fantastically smooth running that was achieved in the small scale was a joy to behold. Numerous other layouts took my fancy, including Craster, where a couple of my pieces of work were operating, which was nice to see, hopefully there will be more soon on there.

I took a few pictures on my phone, of some of the layouts.

post-14906-0-55173700-1532988344_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-54020800-1532988354_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-40261300-1532988367_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-26431900-1532988384_thumb.jpg

Pwllheli in 4mm:

post-14906-0-99934300-1532988396_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-59397100-1532988407_thumb.jpg

Crinan in 4mm:

post-14906-0-56660500-1532988747_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-04203700-1532988762_thumb.jpg

And Fence Houses in 2mm Finescale:

post-14906-0-17546400-1532988424_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-21680300-1532988436_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-55850000-1532988451_thumb.jpg

A great show, I can't say the trade support didn't have much in the way of kits, Invertrain were there with some 7mm kits that I saw, I don't follow 4mm suppliers so I can't comment on that particular scale. We both enjoyed ourselves, and will certainly give it our patronage again.

Jinty ;)

• Like 5

It is a USE IT OR LOSE time for this Exhibition. Numbers down again, we cannot change the Car Park it is the way the School have it.

We do have use of Morrisons car Park Which Does NOT Charge.

Catering as North Eastern Has said above, If we move venue we lose attendence and increase costs. 

We did have a large area inside set out with tables and chairs specifically for people to sit and eat at, it was shown on the plan and in the Programme. 

Traders have to compete with www. so they are fussy about shows they attend on cost grounds. 

We had people travel from Manchester, Liverpool, Cumbria, Humberside, West Yorkshire, West of Scotland and Central Belt. So we must be doing something right yet the numbers keep on falling year on year. 

I would also like to set the Record Straight after reading comments elsewhere about the Name RAILEX NE

Blyth & Tyne Model Railway Society use this as a name to Promote their annual Exhibitioin. We are NOT a business that makes money from Model Railway Exhibitions. 

Exhibition Manager

HI All

Caught between the devil and the deep blue sea .

A good quality show this year again and certainly deserved more through than what you got.

Might be the time of year as every ones got holidays and lets face it North Shields is not tourist central , so a change of date might be the option to get numbers back , But if you do change Stick to it .

Regards Arran

• Like 1

Here's a still from the local news with me demonstrating the control panel on Blackgill. This is why us poor operators sometimes make mistakes...

38263996_1396534867145513_62515990170257

It was a pity that the operators on Blackgill didn't seem to know how tto operate it. I saw on a couple of occaisions a loco pull up only to suddenly reverse at high speed and have to be stopped and returned to it position. On other occaiomns they couldn't get a loco to move having not switche the power on ot the section in question.

Edited by Arpster
  • Like 2

And here we see a goodly proportion of the Blackgill operating team showing the correct way of de-stressing after a day fraught with electrical problems.

post-508-0-71838400-1533060668_thumb.jpg

This pic was taken about 30 minutes after the show closed on the Saturday night. Still trainspotting but having spent a large proportion of that 30 minutes negotiating snow & hail covered roads, flooded housing estates and a Sticky bun shop that was staffed by beautiful women intent  on donating loads of free calorie laden cakes to the emaciated Blackgill operating teams cause.

The sudden passing of that weather front caused an immediate 13° C drop in temp which was reflected in the exhibition hall throughout Sunday which in turn was the probable cause of  further intermittent electrical problems that took a while to identify and fix (or work round).

Perhaps if the complainant had enquired of any of the operators as to why things were happening the way they were he would be less inclined to moan and may have been able to make more constructive criticism.

P

• Like 5

I came up on the Friday went to meet some friends in South Shields, stayed over at a family members house then came through for about 4 hours on Saturday.

Quality of the layouts were superb especially the locally based ones...

Trade wise I only went with the intention of purchasing a book off book law , which they didn't have so I picked up another one instead.

It was nice to catch up with some friends as well of course.

On the way home I stopped off at shildon ( locomotion) as it's somewhere I've never visited before. After spending an hour or 2 there it was a lovely journey back to Scarborough where my new Stirling single was sat waiting for me :).

I'm looking forward to visiting next year already.

Jamie

• Like 2

Here's a still from the local news with me demonstrating the control panel on Blackgill.

You really do enjoy your appearances on TV & film. I remember well your performance in that Elvis flick when you were showing off some of your mean ginger dance moves.

From 46 seconds in everybody.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This pic was taken about 30 minutes after the show closed on the Saturday night. Still trainspotting but having spent a large proportion of that 30 minutes negotiating snow & hail covered roads . . .

Is that ‘Trainspotting at Tynemouth’? If so, I must try sometime.

I was at Central Station when the ‘weather’ came through: quite something!!! Glad I wasn’t on the walk back to North Shields.

Can’t be many shows where the Consett hoppers appear on two layouts (I never did find out how you ran them between the two) taking me back to teenage years.

As said in an earlier post, really glad I made the effort to come.

Paul.

• Like 4

What a great exhibition,all of the exhibits were great but some were superb and we will be lucky to see them all together again. Many thanks to the organising team for a great effort and look forward to a future invite. Met up with some old friends and had great response from the public for the layout. From the operating team of Montague Field ( The 57 Study Group ) 

• Like 3

Is that ‘Trainspotting at Tynemouth’? If so, I must try sometime.

Monkseaton

http://www.leftluggageroom.co.uk/

and top notch sticky buns from the top tottie (dressed in 1950's garb) at this gaff.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g190932-d5285766-Reviews-The_Vintage_Powder_Room_Tea_Shop-Whitley_Bay_Tyne_and_Wear_England.html

• Like 1

And here we see a goodly proportion of the Blackgill operating team showing the correct way of de-stressing after a day fraught with electrical problems.

attachicon.gifMonkseatonBG-B&T2018EditSm.jpg

This pic was taken about 30 minutes after the show closed on the Saturday night. Still trainspotting but having spent a large proportion of that 30 minutes negotiating snow & hail covered roads, flooded housing estates and a Sticky bun shop that was staffed by beautiful women intent  on donating loads of free calorie laden cakes to the emaciated Blackgill operating teams cause.

P

Is that Porcy not buying his round again, tut, tut.

Dave.

• Like 1

Is that Porcy not buying his round again, tut, tut.

Two things of note.

1) There was nearly a fight at the bar as very unusually everyone offered to get the first round in.

2) From the photograph you will deduce it is I who is on his feet and mid-way betwixt table and bar.

Pity you couldn't have stayed for that extra hour as it was a good spot to unwind and talk trains. No doubt your steed had a trouble free journey back across the border.

Here's to Expo Autumn where another platform pub just five minutes from the venue is already putting up the shutters to prevent our entry.

https://goo.gl/maps/ykgi8cHsJwv

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

Great show as always with some truly great layouts.

Personal favourites were Blackgill South Pelaw and Fencehouses but there were many others too.

The six hours we had were not enough and we left all too soon but suitably inspired to return over the border and 'do better'!

Great craic with Davy Dunn as usual and great tips from Paul Moore on painting and lining.

One of the best shows on the circuit and deservedly so.

post-2371-0-40062400-1533082048_thumb.jpg

post-2371-0-56438700-1533082068_thumb.jpg

post-2371-0-15751400-1533082084_thumb.jpg

post-2371-0-48516500-1533082100_thumb.jpg

Dave.

• Like 3

Two things of note.

1) There was nearly a fight at the bar as very unusually everyone offered to get the first round in.

2) From the photograph you will deduce it is I who is on his feet and mid-way betwixt table and bar.

Pity you couldn't have stayed for that extra hour as it was a good spot to unwind and talk trains. No doubt your steed had a trouble free journey back across the border.

Here's to Expo Autumn where another platform pub just five minutes from the venue is already putting up the shutters to prevent our entry.

https://goo.gl/maps/ykgi8cHsJwv

P

1)?  My goodness that is almost unheard of, must have been a very good show and everyone was boyed up by it. :scared:

2)?  Someone told me you are usually not on yer feet and, under the table to avoid the queue at the bar but that might have been Axlebox telling tales again. :secret: 

The Arpster has some great moves hasn't he, must be very fit for his age. :bb:

Yes the poor wee Volkswagen got a soaking coming across the border and shortly after that it dropped into limp mode which had re-set itself when we left for home and has been fine since, will check out the MAF sensor when I find the fancy screwdriver for undoing it. (incidently 60 mpg with the problem and 59 coming back, hmm). :imsohappy:

All the best guys. :jester:

Dave.

• Like 1

For the record I can confirm uncle Poursee is always the first to buy a round...God bless him! Also, thankyou to the Blyth club for putting on such a really good show, quality in depth this year, and despite the lack of a tannoy this is still the best show in these parts.

Edited by Axlebox

I am not familiar with the area but parking at Morrisons was mentioned earlier, do they have a cafe ?

Yes a very good one

https://my.morrisons.com/storefinder/64

The school are not involved in the hire of the Venue, the Sports hall is separate. If we could use the School Cafe we would have to pay their staff costs. 

I did have tables ready to be set up outside, but the weather on Friday a 2 hour thunder storm meant I had to leave them to one side. Saturday morning wasn't great with the wind increasing so I made the decision not to set them up. As people didn't look at the Programme they didn't see the large area set aside for people to sit down at a table inside the venue. Next year I will make sure the signs stay up on the door. 

Exhibition Manager 

• Like 1

HI All

Caught between the devil and the deep blue sea .

A good quality show this year again and certainly deserved more through than what you got.

Might be the time of year as every ones got holidays and lets face it North Shields is not tourist central , so a change of date might be the option to get numbers back , But if you do change Stick to it .

Regards Arran

True Arran

Time of year suitable venue, not clashing with others, area, but after 2016 was cancelled North-Eastern and I spent the best part of 6 months visiting venues until we found this.

Ideally a Metro station next door (Regent Centre) but that one wanted double the hire costs and it would have been split over 2 sports halls.

Move date? When is one available? add in Schools won't let you set up in term time so Friday would be a late start and finish if we could get in on the Friday due to Other events taking place.

One other problem we have faced is Football, the Astro turf pitches are not controlled by the Sports Hall, (strange) but are part of the school, other side of the building and are hired out by the School. The Kids with no legs syndrome happens Mummy and Daddy want to drop them off/pick up so pull into our side car park and wait, Causing traffic congestion. I raised this twice with the Sports hall manager and he raised it with the organiser of the Football but still they parked on Saturday morning and waited for their little cherubs to finish running around. Nothing more we can do. 

• RMweb Premium

Yes thanks to Lee 

For all the effort in arranging the show and for his major help in letting us bring 3 layouts to Rail EX NE 

which was a major exercise in arranging van hire and operators and layouts thanks to all the Members of the SHMRC who attended JUST as 4 members had the worst Train journey to North Shields from Southampton and Portsmouth when the Lighting strike hit York on the Saturday Afternoon.

Many thanks for the great layouts in attendance and all the friendly people we met and talked to thanks for the decent beer and fish and chips in North Shields on the Saturday evening 

Long may Rail EX NE continue in future years we will be there

Yours

Gazza 

• Like 4

Last year we arranged a free vintage bus service to run all day between the main Glasgow stations Queen St and Central direct to the entrance of the SEC for Modelrail Scotland.

It was a great success and even though there is a local station adjacent to the exhibition centre it seems people like the idea of jumping on the old bus and getting a ride straight to the door.

It might be worth considering something similar..it also might encourage a few to leave the car and ease the parking issues although we parked at Morrisons and it was fine.

Railex NE is one of the very best shows around and we would attend regardless but there will be others who might not return if the travelling or parking caused them issues.  

Beautifully restored AEC Regent at the entrance of the SEC for Modelrail Scotland 2018.

This free service will be repeated again next year for Modelrail 2019.

post-2371-0-21824200-1533253673_thumb.jpg

Dave.

Edited by vitalspark
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I do notice that this show has wandered both in location and time of year more than any other I'm aware of—Seaton Sluice, at least two locations in Blyth, Parks Leisure Centre in North Shields, Quorum Business Park, and the current location — taking place in late November, August Bank Holiday weekend, December, late July... I can't think of any other show that has wandered so much in both space and time! This isn't likely to help attendances (though the first couple of years at the Parks centre seemed busy).

I do notice that this show has wandered both in location and time of year more than any other I'm aware of—Seaton Sluice, at least two locations in Blyth, Parks Leisure Centre in North Shields, Quorum Business Park, and the current location — taking place in late November, August Bank Holiday weekend, December, late July... I can't think of any other show that has wandered so much in both space and time! This isn't likely to help attendances (though the first couple of years at the Parks centre seemed busy).

Unfortunately as with most local shows the cost of the venue usually dictates where it will be held.

As most clubs manage to find a suitable venue at a reasonable cost the venue then seems to notice how popular it is and puts the price up.

This happened to us at Blyth Community College, which prompted a move to Blyth Sports Centre but parking there was a severe problem.

We then moved to the Parks, the only dates available was in the summer due to it being an indoor bowling green, it proved fortuitous as that year our normal date in November was a white out with snow which would have forced us to cancel. All seemed well at first, but as it was the bank holiday weekend the spiralling costs of van and accommodation along with shortage of parking due to the remainder of the sports hall being opened became too much.

An alternative venue and date was sort and a move to Quorum seemed to answer all our questions. It was available at any time, it had ample parking, it was cheaper, it was modern, bright and large. Trying to find a suitable date to retain all our regular traders proved tricky and we settled on the second weekend in December which we thought would prove popular with families on the run up to Christmas.

Unfortunately the venue at Quorum was sold and we could not find another venue at short notice for 2016 so we ended up not having a show. We continued looking but most venues were out of our price range which left our current venue and was only available out of term time. Our current venue is not ideal but cost, location etc dictates what we got and whilst we have moved about and it may have affected attendances we have advertised widely to ensure it doesn't.

Other local shows have moved venues regularly over the years and a well known national show in the Midlands and one in the NW have moved dates regularly so we are not alone.

We may move again but it would have to be the right venue and date but who knows if that will last before the price goes up.

Answers on a postcard if anyone knows better.