Farish new 8F

Crepello

I can't speak for Bachmann but I cannot conceive of a situation where they would regress from recent coreless motor loco-drive chassis, and that the running plate (mentioned above) is to be cast metal only confirms that. There is to be a sound version so inevitably the chip will be in the tender with room for a speaker.

Regards

Roy

http://youtu.be/RaR3bpL6CuU

Hopefully the sound will be as good as the Pauliebanger sound file in my WD....  Video by Mr Simon as I was driving the WD, rehearsal for Hawthorn Dene's performances.  The mic is a little too close to the loco when she whistles.  One more Covhop defeated it, the train seen is the biggest it would pull.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone confirm that this will be a coreless motor drive in the loco and tender to house the decoder?

That’s correct. The tender has also been tooled to allow easy installation of a speaker.

Bachmann are also considering updating some of their older tender drive models to loco drive coreless motor. With the tender for the 8F already tooled, the Black 5 would seem like a logical model to update first.

Tom.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Roy. 

EP samples of all 3 variations on show, Still expected Q4 2019 / Q1 2020. EPs still only grey so didn’t take anymore pics. 

Tom. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Looks superb. Hopefully that diecast footplate will provide adequate tractive weight in lieu of traction tyres for a train of satisfactory length to be hauled (for most people - you can't please everyone!). 

Hopefully too, the deco samples are not too far off.

Yes, it has taken a while but at least there is very tangible evidence of progress. 

Roy

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Roy L S said:

Looks superb. Hopefully that diecast footplate will provide adequate tractive weight in lieu of traction tyres for a train of satisfactory length to be hauled (for most people - you can't please everyone!). 

Hopefully too, the deco samples are not too far off.

Yes, it has taken a while but at least there is very tangible evidence of progress. 

Roy

A deco sample is not too taxing when it is of an 8F.

Chris

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 20:52, Chris Higgs said:

A deco sample is not too taxing when it is of an 8F.

Chris

That's true, any colour you like as long as it's black, but Bachmann need to get location, size, font and colour perfect for each version released or they would get royally slaughtered, but hopefully they can still meet the planned delivery date.

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Roy L S said:

but Bachmann need to get location, size, font and colour perfect for each version released or they would get royally slaughtered, but hopefully they can still meet the planned delivery date.

Roy

Fortunately Bachmann’s track record in that regard is excellent. 

Tom. 

• Agree 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy. This was the last Farish item I had on pre-order at Hattons, although I'd ordered another through Alton Models so it's not the end of the world and I guess it removes any doubt given the current situation between Hattons & Bachmann.  

Tom. 

Edited by TomE

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

There was a working sound fitted sample 8F on the Bachmann stabs at TINGS today. Sounded great, and ran as well as previous Farish releases. Release is likely to be end of this year/early next. 

C727E977-1E93-45A0-BA3F-33CF68285E75.jpeg.0d8f53848866f503da9d4b1637940a44.jpeg

Tom. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, TomE said:

There was a working sound fitted sample 8F on the Bachmann stabs at TINGS today. Sounded great, and ran as well as previous Farish releases. Release is likely to be end of this year/early next. 

C727E977-1E93-45A0-BA3F-33CF68285E75.jpeg.0d8f53848866f503da9d4b1637940a44.jpeg

Tom. 

Hi tom, thanks for the fabulous picture and update. Good to know running sound examples were on show at TINGS.

However to clarify, Bachmann are now saying that the release date is not going to be June next year as per the last round of release updates they circulated? That must mean there are deco samples somewhere and the locos must be close to or even in production to have delivery within such a timeframe!

Regards

Roy

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Roy L S said:

However to clarify, Bachmann are now saying that the release date is not going to be June next year as per the last round of release updates they circulated? That must mean there are deco samples somewhere and the locos must be close to or even in production to have delivery within such a timeframe!

Regards

Roy

Hi Roy. 

Thats what I was told, but take it with a large pinch of salt I suggest! Historically it seems to be a minimum of around 6 months from paint samples to in the shops, which would peg it for around Q2 assuming we see painted ones at Warley. 

Tom. 

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Crepello said:

Hopefully something to see at Warley. The livery can't be that difficult to get right on an 8F!

I don't know, Dapol somehow managed to drop the ball on a plain blue class 121 with the wrong font for the few bits of lettering as well as an upside down 'W' for an 'M'...so the precedent is there to knacker up the simplest of liveries; not that I expect it of Bachmann.

• Agree 1

Hoping to see livery samples at Warley too.

This loco has been a while coming but the EP looks superb and if the C Class is anything to go by it should be an absolute stunner.

I do still have some nagging reservations about haulage, but as my C Class has now managed to move seven coaches around my layout with only slight slipping once the chemical blacking had worn away, I am more optimistic than I was and hopefully it will be comfortably able to handle the 25 wagon max train length I need it to.

Roy

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, Zunnan said:

I don't know, Dapol somehow managed to drop the ball on a plain blue class 121 with the wrong font for the few bits of lettering as well as an upside down 'W' for an 'M'...so the precedent is there to knacker up the simplest of liveries; not that I expect it of Bachmann.

Bachmann also have form, eg the BR 5MTs in OO that were recalled because they'd only lined them out on one side......

Les

• Like 1