Farish new 8F

Crepello

5 hours ago, Roy L S said:

Hoping to see livery samples at Warley too.

This loco has been a while coming but the EP looks superb and if the C Class is anything to go by it should be an absolute stunner.

I do still have some nagging reservations about haulage, but as my C Class has now managed to move seven coaches around my layout with only slight slipping once the chemical blacking had worn away, I am more optimistic than I was and hopefully it will be comfortably able to handle the 25 wagon max train length I need it to.

Roy

I still wonder how my 2MT is the strongest Farish steamer I have....

Les

• RMweb Gold

Painted samples are on show at Warley. It’s difficult to go wrong with black, but they were nicely executed and up to the usual standard. 

7-8 months was the estimate for arrival. 

Tricky to get photos this year for all the lights reflecting off the glass:

2D77A8BD-1AD5-494E-8B0F-F90AC5E10EEE.jpeg.2b8c673400e6e996382c719f9094ee9f.jpegBC5586FC-26AF-462A-81F0-983316539A30.jpeg.4d4dbd106b1529415c512f54b8c166e8.jpeg8E26CE9B-9008-445A-8357-FB895CAFABA2.jpeg.b590fcd564923aae2a4801c097330776.jpeg

Tom

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Yes we desperately need a reworked 9F ....Farish have a few of the parts needed in their  BR standard class 5MT....various tender options, the cab sides and the pony truck from the Standard 4 mogul and cylinders and valve gear I think...but will they invest ?  ......Could the old Dapol model be converted to DCC with sound easily.....I think not.....9Fs could be seen anywhere  but rarely north of the border...they  were inter regional...They were allocated to the old Midland, North Western, Great Central and Eastern and to a lesser amount to the Western. Several  were allocated to the Somerset and Dorset and thus ended in Southern Territory and 9F were also seen on the Fawley oil trains. So there we have it, a handsome prototype that was seen on express trains as well as  freight, and over a large geographical area.....they also lasted right through the transition period till the end of steam so fit in comfortably with modellers who like diseasels ...so its a no brainer!  The only other loco with such diversity were of course the Britannias....they regularly worked over the border with the Northern Irishman. Heavy freight locos are of course a winner in model manufacturing terms because then you need to buy a long string of freight wagons to go with.  What we need is a new modern spec model and

it would also be nice to have firebox flicker in our scale too.   it just adds that bit extra.  Lets get bleating now.....altogether now! .....I attach a picture I took in February 1967 .....we also want smoke units that work like this!

92104  Chinley .jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

We're wandering off topic slightly here, but Bachmann were planning a 9F, announced at the same time as the Ivatt if I remember correctly, but cancelled it when Dapol announced their model. I've raised the prospect of it being revived with them a couple of times and it was never a straight out "No", but I suspect it's highly unlikely in the current climate. 

59 minutes ago, Pufferazzi said:

......Could the old Dapol model be converted to DCC with sound easily.....I think not.....

It's not easy, but it can be done:

Tramfabriek coreless motor replacing the original Dapol unit (drops straight in using the provided cradle) Zimo sound chip from You Choos, SACC16 stay alive module and a 9mm speaker all contained within the tender, which will eventually be replaced with a BR1F body when I get around to designing & printing it! I still need to correct some slightly out quartering, but these modifications have turned it from a yard queen to a usable engine. 

Tom. 

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Back to 8Fs......

Just found another pic taken back in early 1967 at Buxton yards with two 8Fs in the shot. I noticed that there was a lamp on the the smoke boxof the departing train and then discovered that the preserved loco 48151 also has the same lamp bracket.....was this rare or common with the 8Fs?

8Fs Buxton Yards .jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pufferazzi said:

Back to 8Fs......

Just found another pic taken back in early 1967 at Buxton yards with two 8Fs in the shot. I noticed that there was a lamp on the the smoke boxof the departing train and then discovered that the preserved loco 48151 also has the same lamp bracket.....was this rare or common with the 8Fs?

8Fs Buxton Yards .jpg

I suspect the siting of the lamp bracket there was for those locos that were used "under wires" for safety.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

It was common after the LMR electrification for some Stanier locos (certainly Black 5s, 8Fs and several Jubilees) likely to be working under the wires. Some (all?) of the first load of Bachfar Black 5s came with this fitting regardless of whether it was appropriate.

Simon

Edited by 65179
  • Agree 1

Well done,

That seems to make a lot of sense.....I suppose that till the early 1960s 8Fs wouldn't go under any wires....The Woodhead line being run by the Eastern would have had GCR 04s....electrification of the North Western would change that ....all the Farish locos are thus correct not to feature these lamp brackets but those guys are pretty hot on their research.....just found another 8F shot...the loco was unidentified as I was paying more attention in my picture composition and in those days I took little interest in the numbers....this 8F also has smokebox lamp brackets....you can see it from quite a long way off....I suppose all locos would have been modified thus.

I hope to build this scene as a 2mm model diorama....painting the back-scene will be fun!

8F-Todmorden-.jpg

• Like 1

Another shot,

Loco 48212 at  Newton Heath depot with sunlight  ( a rare phenomina here in the UK ! )  The words COLK have been stencilled where the shed plate should have been.. I've just checked through a number of 1967 images and all 8Fs, 5MTs, Brits and 9Fs have had their lamp brakets fixed to the smokebox....you learn something every day !

Newton Heath MPD .jpg

• Like 2

Agreed..... but modellers' license allows  for most things.....I presume that practice of lowering brackets started in 1966 when the electrification of the North Western to Euston was completed....must look at my Willesden Junction MPD  loco pictures....Cricklewood also still had steam then....it all seemed like yesterday....now no EE Type 4s, Peaks or AL6s in sight. I wonder when or if an 8F will return to this city......they are very handsome considering they were ostensibly a freight loco. This new Farish model certainly captures their gravitas.... what can we look forward to next?

41 minutes ago, Pufferazzi said:

Devil's Advocate....

For locos working under the wires between 1960 and 1968 model manufacturers should provide an optional smokebox for the post electricification period and it would then be very easy to install a working lamp....!!!!

Do you mean pre-electrification? Post electrification I would visualise as post apocalyptic wooden carts!

I think you will find that Bachmann try to create models with details that represents a specific loco at a certain time so it would seem unlikely they would want to undo such efforts with generic parts.

Roy