Farish new 8F

Crepello

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, class8mikado said:

Is it Tender Drive ( 8f)  ? wheels look too big, though  a black tyre rim will help this..

Loco drive. The tender houses the factory fitted speaker & space for the DCC chip. 

The rims were being highlighted by the cabinet lighting, they were blackened as per other Farish models. 

Tom. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 25/02/2020 at 10:37, class8mikado said:

Gah!  ... want one now, suppose its plausible one would work though to the eastern region in the mid 1950's ...

The LNER build quite a few of them and used them to they were called the Class 06.

I dont know what was different about them if anything was at all I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can correct me though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Class_O6

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 10:37, class8mikado said:

... want one now, suppose its plausible one would work though to the eastern region in the mid 1950's ...

At a great many locations with regular East-West freight traffic flows, from Ferme Park/Hornsey(34B) northwards. (That's why I have one on my KX inner sub area operation.)

The LNER built 8F, 'class O6' went to the LMS/LMR post WWII, as the Riddles WD 2-8-0s were adopted as 'class O7'. The LNER - which had the highest proportion of freight traffic of any of the Big Four, dominated  by coal drags - built very few of its own standard 2-8-0 design: first the WWI ROD 2-8-0, and then the WWII WD supplied what was required. Cheaply! This really mattered considering the very poor state of the LNER's finances for most of its existence...

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

@Pufferazzi - some exceptional pictures earlier in the thread, thanks for sharing. Your focus on overall composition is clear and some great images as a result. I don't know if you have any others of steam in the Peak District (8F on the ICI hoppers?!) but, if so, it would be great to see them. 

I am very much looking forward to the DCC sound 8F myself. 

• Agree 1

On 27/05/2020 at 10:55, 9FEd said:

I am very much looking forward to the DCC sound 8F myself. 

I have since read that the factory fitted Zimo sound will feature the option to represent different train types, ie: I assume slow freight vs faster running. Does anyone have any further details or, better yet, a video clip of the sound yet? 

I think that is a standard Zimo feature now. On several of my locos there are two settings on F5, unselected for a "heavier" train and when selected a more quiet subdued exhaust for a less hardworking loco on short train or running light engine.  Also useful if you don't want to annoy the wife in an adjoining room so much!

Roy

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Interesting comment in the interview with Bachmann from the virtual exhibition. 8Fs due “in a few months time” 

From 08:40 onward:

Tom. 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

The release schedule in the Bachmann autumn products video has the 8Fs down as being available this month, so not long to wait now! 

There’s also a a collectors club edition of 8624 in preserved LMS maroon due for release this month. Having had a cab ride in this particular loco with my late dad, I’ll be adding one of those to the collection! 

Tom.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ordered my 8624 today and was told they’re also offering a sound fitted version of this version to BCC members. They’re all expected to be here in the next 2-3 weeks. 

Tom. 

• Thanks 1

Just had a call from Bachmann Collectors Club to ask, first of all if I wanted to upgrade to the sound version (tempted but no) and that it's been pushed back till October now due to the virus which ties in with what Kaput said about the change on their website.

• 1 month later...

Looks fantastic, hopefully means not too long before they arrive.

It's been a long time, but it certainly looks like the wait will be worth it.

Glad I have pre-ordered mine, I can imagine the late crest sound example will fly off the shelves.

Roy

• Like 1

On 14/10/2020 at 01:17, Roy L S said:

Looks fantastic, hopefully means not too long before they arrive.

It's been a long time, but it certainly looks like the wait will be worth it.

Glad I have pre-ordered mine, I can imagine the late crest sound example will fly off the shelves.

Roy

So long as it’s black the crest and number are irrelevant - you can fix it if you need.

• Like 1

True, and I have done quite a number, but to replicate the cab-side stripe and other details to the factory standard seen here would not be at all easy and a big gamble on nearly £150 worth of loco (even after discount). 

Not a moan about the price I think it is quite fair for a model of this quality and features but as prices go up I have less inclination to fiddle personally!

Roy

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/10/2020 at 11:57, Roy L S said:

True, and I have done quite a number, but to replicate the cab-side stripe and other details to the factory standard seen here would not be at all easy and a big gamble on nearly £150 worth of loco (even after discount). 

Not a moan about the price I think it is quite fair for a model of this quality and features but as prices go up I have less inclination to fiddle personally!

Roy

Roy

I have 2nr on order but they are not digital, and I will be renumbering them, and one will be Bolton's (in late 60,s)  48773 with Yellow stripe. As I am modelling S&C in late 60,s with many a Yellow stripped Jubilee on that route, I have quite a collection of stripped locos be them 4F, Patriot, and aforementioned Jubilee's. I was quite surprised they picked 48773 as a launch model for the digital model, and also that the none digital were the earlier BR sign. But the real pain for me are O/H lightening flashes. Every steam loco I have 25+, with the exception of the Patriot has had to have these retro fitted, and that is a real pain in N gauge !! 

Mac

• 3 weeks later...