Farish new C class

Crepello

• RMweb Premium
On 12/08/2019 at 10:05, TomE said:

T

The only other thing that really stands out, and as others have commented on, the coupling rods are somewhat bulky and that joint is completely unnecessary.

Tom. 

To me, the hexagonal 'crank pins' are more of an issue than the rods themselves. An impressive model, nonetheless.

Nig H

2 hours ago, Nig H said:

To me, the hexagonal 'crank pins' are more of an issue than the rods themselves.

Yep, they are huge and unnecessary. Unfortunately many Farish steam locomotives have them and they look quite unprototypical. It's something they could improve upon to up the standard of British N gauge.

3 hours ago, Nig H said:

To me, the hexagonal 'crank pins' are more of an issue than the rods themselves. An impressive model, nonetheless.

Nig H

Can they be replaced with something smaller?  Is the "something" readily available?

10 hours ago, Gremlin said:

Can they be replaced with something smaller?  Is the "something" readily available?

No - the head of the crank pin holds the rods on. So reduce its size and you'll risk them coming off.

Cheers,

Alan

There is a need to bear in mind that the picture above is a cruel enlargement, on my laptop screen probably close to O Gauge in size.

In real life this loco really is a tiny 0-6-0 and although oversized in scale terms the crankpins do not grate to anything like the same extent as in the picture, I do keep marvelling at my BR black one, an exquisite model of a very pretty prototype. 

Roy

• Like 1

On 29/08/2019 at 15:33, Dr Al said:

No - the head of the crank pin holds the rods on. So reduce its size and you'll risk them coming off.

Cheers,

Alan

Unless you change the rods as well. It rather depends on how much bigger the heads of th crankpins are compared to their body.

Chris

• Agree 1

On 31/08/2019 at 21:27, Chris Higgs said:

Unless you change the rods as well. It rather depends on how much bigger the heads of th crankpins are compared to their body.

Unfortunately no - if the design is the same as all their others the rods run on a raised boss on the wheel, part of the casting. Therefore you can't have rods with smaller diameter holes unless you reduced or removed the boss completely. Then you'd still need a threaded bolt with a bearing surface.

Not saying it can't be done, but not trivial by any means, not a simple swap as implied.

Cheers,
Alan

Edited by Dr Al
  • Like 1

Anyone else find the sound level from the built in speaker to be rather disappointing, I have quite a few self installed sound decoders and all of them, including the tiny Ivatt 2MT have a much higher sound level than the C-Class.

Was the Nunnery Castle also low on sound level or is it just this one.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/09/2019 at 16:51, Paul80 said:

Anyone else find the sound level from the built in speaker to be rather disappointing, I have quite a few self installed sound decoders and all of them, including the tiny Ivatt 2MT have a much higher sound level than the C-Class.

Was the Nunnery Castle also low on sound level or is it just this one.

Paul

We had both of these with modified speakers on the Legomanbiffo stand at the weekend and they were spot on, far louder than the 'Factory Fitted versions using our Next 18 ESU Version 5 decoders with our sound files adjusted for both the C Class and the Castle.   Also there on the layout we had a quieter Standard 5 (will be looking at that) and a Duchess Pacific, another C Class that 'Blew Up !!!!!' a second Castle with a different speaker but it was not as loud + loads of Diesels & Electrics with modified speaker units.  Even Mr Kato seemed impressed.  Charlie @ DCKits/Legomanbiffo

• 2 months later...

I bought a BR black C class at the Weymouth model railway show at the beginning of November, and I have been fairly pleased with mine so far.  Its not a very good puller (eight 16ton mineral wagons with the Farish Coal loads in them plus a pillbox brake van is the maximum it has wanted to pull), but so far it has run well otherwise.  While I am sure in real life the C class would have pulled a lot heavier trains earlier on in their lives, I would have thought that they would have been relegated to the branch lines in BR days, so my model's lack of pulling power shouldn't be much of an issue.

On 16/09/2019 at 12:46, charliepetty said:

We had both of these with modified speakers on the Legomanbiffo stand at the weekend and they were spot on, far louder than the 'Factory Fitted versions using our Next 18 ESU Version 5 decoders with our sound files adjusted for both the C Class and the Castle.   Also there on the layout we had a quieter Standard 5 (will be looking at that) and a Duchess Pacific, another C Class that 'Blew Up !!!!!' a second Castle with a different speaker but it was not as loud + loads of Diesels & Electrics with modified speaker units.  Even Mr Kato seemed impressed.  Charlie @ DCKits/Legomanbiffo

Any chance you could share what the modification was ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/09/2019 at 12:46, charliepetty said:

We had both of these with modified speakers 

Also curious to know what modifications were made to the speaker to increase volume? 

I'm happy with mine in the home environment, but it's probably a little on the quiet side for cutting through exhibition chatter. 

Cheers, 

Tom.  

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, acourtrail said:

I bought a BR black C class at the Weymouth model railway show at the beginning of November, and I have been fairly pleased with mine so far.  Its not a very good puller (eight 16ton mineral wagons with the Farish Coal loads in them plus a pillbox brake van is the maximum it has wanted to pull), but so far it has run well otherwise.  While I am sure in real life the C class would have pulled a lot heavier trains earlier on in their lives, I would have thought that they would have been relegated to the branch lines in BR days, so my model's lack of pulling power shouldn't be much of an issue.

As shown in my review, the C class could only manage 13wagons +BV up the hill on my layout. However i have since added bullfrog snot to just the trailing set of driving wheels, though not confirmed exactly how many it can now manage it has pulled 20+ wagons up the same hill with no fuss. and interestingly it seems to have cured the connecting rods 'waggling'.

• Like 1

On 27/08/2019 at 22:59, HRH_Dan_Hull said:

Here is a review in case anyone is interested;

Good video HRH_Dan_Hull - and a nice layout coming on there.

One thing I have noticed with the C class (both the real one at the Bluebell Railway and model ones) that puzzles me - there appears to be no reversing rod.  Usually a tender locomotive has noticeable reversing rod above the running plate towards the cab on one side - but that doesn't seem the case with the C class.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

Really is a lovely model. Just a pity they didn't throw in a couple of route disks like the N. Or sell them separately!

Agreed. They really are essential for a Southern model. Maybe there's another source somewhere?

6 minutes ago, Crepello said:

Agreed. They really are essential for a Southern model. Maybe there's another source somewhere?

16 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

Really is a lovely model. Just a pity they didn't throw in a couple of route disks like the N. Or sell them separately!

Having spoken to Graham Muz about this back in the summer, he suggested purchasing a leather belt punch and using it on a sheet of plasticard if you have many locomotives in need of discs.

However another option is this product from fox transfers: https://fox-transfers.co.uk/br-southern-region-train-reporting-discs-77700

3 minutes ago, Mr chapman said:

Are those not for 00? I personally really like the roxey disks but they don't do N. Not hard to make certainly, just observing that they have the part in the armoury... Why not use it. 

Definitely for N, here is one stuck to a lamp iron on my C Class:

69672424_777738602665907_845746393214196

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2