GER "Little Sharpie" Drawings?

I was recently looking at a photo of a GER no.1 class "Little Sharpie" and thinking what an eminently modellable type it is, with its relatively simple splashers and unusually archaic four wheeled tenders. The relatively heavy outside frames also look like they'd make it a good candidate for scratch building. There is plenty of info and more photos on the GER Society website, which also says the last was withdrawn in 1913 - just about the period I want to focus my layout. 

However, the No.1 class doesn't seem to be amongst the scale diagrams available from the GER Society (available from the "Files Emporium" section of their website), and I'm not sure where else to start looking? Any tips of where to find a published scale drawing?

Cheers

Justin

• RMweb Gold

The incomparable HTB, HT Buckle, did some side elevations that appeared in Ahrons’ Locomotive Workings of the Nineteenth Century.

More usefully, up to a point, JN Maskelyne produces a drawing back when he was editor of MRN. This has appeared in a book, the name of which escapes me but put his surname and locomotive into a search engine and it should turn up. I said “up to a point”, and that point is that the front elevation appears to be drawn to a gauge of 5 feet. Also, if he wasn’t sure of a detail, he wasn’t above simply making it up based on his interpretation of common practice.

Peters K did produce a kit, but I don’t know how good it was.

Be careful about sources: the engines were reboilered with standard GER boilers, so the boiler got a lot bigger in later days.

A copy of the Maskelyne drawings would be wonderful, much appreciated!

I'd be looking to model the loco in its final condition, so if the diagram is the original boiler, I guess it shouldn't be too difficult to "swap" to a standard Y14 type Wordsell boiler?

If I build it, it'll be in 2mm scale! I've not scratch built before, but I figure this format would be a reasonable first step. Squeezing a motor into the four wheel tender might be a bit of a challenge, but nothing compared to what it would have been a few years ago!

Justin

• Like 1

Oh, and I was forgetting that there are several drawings in The Great Eastern Railway Part One, by Mike Sharman in the Oakwood Portfolio series.  

They are reproduced from the Locomotive Magazine to 7mm scale.

If you are interested in GE stuff of this era, it's a pretty essential volume.

EDIT I'll scan these too, it's just that I'm snowed at the moment

Edited by Edwardian

A copy of the Maskelyne drawings would be wonderful, much appreciated!

I'd be looking to model the loco in its final condition, so if the diagram is the original boiler, I guess it shouldn't be too difficult to "swap" to a standard Y14 type Wordsell boiler?

If I build it, it'll be in 2mm scale! I've not scratch built before, but I figure this format would be a reasonable first step. Squeezing a motor into the four wheel tender might be a bit of a challenge, but nothing compared to what it would have been a few years ago!

Justin

Give David Eveleigh a call he has No 1 and 417 class etches if you like Johnson locos.

Jon

Good point, as we're talking of 2mm scale.

Listed on the 2mm Society website (sheet 15): http://www.2mm.org.uk/small_suppliers/davideveleigh/index.htm

Justin'll be wanting this condition ...

Yup, that's the condition I'm after. Indeed, the Thetford photo was the one that first put the idea in my head!

I hadn't clocked that David had done the No.1 class on that extra etch sheet. I've already bought the whole "GER locos" sheet, and hadn't noticed there were more!

Thanks!

Justin

• RMweb Premium

That's a thing of beauty!

It is indeed. If my memory cells are working, it was built quite a few years ago by the same Lawrie Loveless who now produces rather lovely 7mm products.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, EHertsGER said:

Does anyone know of a source of the cab-side number plates for these locomotives, Please?

Narrow Planet will custom etch you a GER plate with whatever number you want. I have had LNWR plates and some works plates from them. They were very nice indeed.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hello,

I have just looked into this thread.   I have designed a kit for the Johnson No.1 class in 2mm for building to 2FS standards.   (It is designed for split frame construction using 2mm Assoc. wheels, bearings, muffs, etc.)

I also do the 417 class - the earlier and smaller of the Johnson 0-6-0s.   These both have the four wheeled tender with the double slots in the valance.   In addition, I do the Thetford and Watton Rly. 0-4-2 (They had two of them and they later ran on the Saffron Walden branch - or you could model one of the pair that the the Swedish state railways bought, one of which is preserved). and this has the four wheeled tender with the single slot.   Recently designed is the E10 class 0-4-4T and from a long time ago there is the K9 0-4-2T.   I have not got around to test building these yet, but they are in the pipeline.   I am going to start the No.1 class tomorrow as a bank holiday project and because it looks as if I am soon going to be redesigning it as a 4mm scale kit.   Once I have tested to make sure the etches go together I will advertise these kits.

Each of these kits comes with a selection of appropriate number plates - usually of locomotives with prime numbers if possible ( I like my locos to have prime numbers.), but also those of locos which got photographed. 

Best wishes,

David Eveleigh

Edited by David Eveleigh

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/06/2018 at 15:16, justin1985 said:

I was recently looking at a photo of a GER no.1 class "Little Sharpie" and thinking what an eminently modellable type it is, with its relatively simple splashers and unusually archaic four wheeled tenders. The relatively heavy outside frames also look like they'd make it a good candidate for scratch building. There is plenty of info and more photos on the GER Society website, which also says the last was withdrawn in 1913 - just about the period I want to focus my layout. 

However, the No.1 class doesn't seem to be amongst the scale diagrams available from the GER Society (available from the "Files Emporium" section of their website), and I'm not sure where else to start looking? Any tips of where to find a published scale drawing?

Cheers

Justin

On 31/08/2020 at 01:47, David Eveleigh said:

Hello,

I have just looked into this thread.   I have designed a kit for the Johnson No.1 class in 2mm for building to 2FS standards.   (It is designed for split frame construction using 2mm Assoc. wheels, bearings, muffs, etc.)

I also do the 417 class - the earlier and smaller of the Johnson 0-6-0s.   These both have the four wheeled tender with the double slots in the valance.   In addition, I do the Thetford and Watton Rly. 0-4-2 (They had two of them and they later ran on the Saffron Walden branch - or you could model one of the pair that the the Swedish state railways bought, one of which is preserved). and this has the four wheeled tender with the single slot.   Recently designed is the E10 class 0-4-4T and from a long time ago there is the K9 0-4-2T.   I have not got around to test building these yet, but they are in the pipeline.   I am going to start the No.1 class tomorrow as a bank holiday project and because it looks as if I am soon going to be redesigning it as a 4mm scale kit.   Once I have tested to make sure the etches go together I will advertise these kits.

Each of these kits comes with a selection of appropriate number plates - usually of locomotives with prime numbers if possible ( I like my locos to have prime numbers.), but also those of locos which got photographed. 

Best wishes,

David Eveleigh

David, I know, is hoping to produce a kit in 4mm.

For those unfamiliar with the class, they were designed by SW Johnson (1866-1873); 29 were built by Sharp Stewart between 1867 and 1871, while 10 were built by Stratford 1869-1872. 

604564184_GER2-4-0No.1ClassLittleSharpieNo.160asbuilt1871Johnsongreenlivery.jpg.1df796f40de153a864b73fbd3536e689.jpg

No.160 as built

Adams (1873-1878) is said to have fitted Ramsbottom safety valves, a closed dome (though retaining its central position) and stovepipe chimney, and this Adams condition is illustrated in the drawing of No.29 (see below), which also features a longer cab.

An intermediate stage seems to be the retention of the Johnson dome and original safety valve, but with stovepipe chimney and extended cab.  This is seen both in a photograph of Sharp-built No.160 and a drawing of Stratford-built No.113. 

839331699_GER2-4-0No.1ClassLittleSharpieNo_160.jpg.bcad09a071ae632ecb0c06b429312a65.jpg

No.160 in 'intermediate' condition

Holden (1885-1907) rebuilt all of them between 1889 and 1893.  In this guise they would all have extended cab, Ramsbottom valves and stovepipes and the closed dome was mounted in a forward position.  

1533448226_GER2-4-0No.1ClassLittleSharpieNo.114ThetfordJunctionJuly1909.jpg.ae5e7458c08a2ff1e882213053861d8f.jpg

Stratford-built No,114 in Holden condition, 1909

I am aware of the following drawings:

No.1, Sharp Stewart (SS), 1867 in Holden condition.  This is a Maskelyne drawing.  I have reason to be cautious, having seen the Dapol 7mm Terrier and original 4mm design based upon a Maskelyne drawing.  It does, however, give a front view, the only one I have.

1143768187_img015-Copy.jpg.3e6705451efd74b868020cf6eef5a474.jpg

img017.jpg.44f0f699d0a4f0818afd6a5b764fe702.jpg

Then the following drawings appeared in the Edwardian Locomotive Magazine and are reproduced to 7mm scale in the Oakwood Press volume:

No.26, SS 1867: Original Johnson condition

1407808867_img019-Copy.jpg.b18533547cea6593c307b8379151d1c5.jpg

No.29, SS 1868: Adams condition

603195646_img018-Copy.jpg.a3cbfc8879bfe032eea05483278a3e8f.jpg

No.43, SS 1868: Holden re-built condition

1615361636_img022-Copy.jpg.69da2b5eef5e45e9a3ff5adb48902a6d.jpg

No.113, Stratford 1869: Semi-Adams/intermediate condition (see above)

1529480243_img021-Copy.jpg.e219a583406634a52777ede0a8ce325a.jpg

No. 160, SS 1871: Original Johnson condition

2041263218_img020-Copy.jpg.65c08d0c1b92ba574feb1c661b50d46d.jpg

I have all the above drawings scanned for anyone who wants them.

Edited by Edwardian
More pictures
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1