Using a protective frame for fragile 3D prints?

Hi,

Having recently designed a OO gauge Stone-Faiveley pantograph, I am wondering about it's fragile nature post-printing. Before I put it up for sale, should I design a protective frame around it to help it retain itself during shipping? A simple box frame with crossbars is what I thinking of. I know the cost will increase marginally but it's better to have a product in one piece when you open the box

MGR Hooper

Assuming that you are looking at Smooth or Smoothest Fine Detail Plastic then yes, absolutely.

Unfortunately it costs a bit more but it reduces the risk of breakage during cleaning and handling by Shapeways.

I speak from experience.

Ray P

My Shapeways Signals Branch Shop

Models of New South Wales Government Railways semaphore signals and other infrastructure

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Definitely go for a frame, it does not add that much to the cost, the machine space is nearly the same so it is only pence more.

Keep the frame tight to the pan, no more than 1mm from any part of the pan, I use 1.2mm square wires. if possible attach the pan to the frame that way when it is being cleaned after coming out of the printer it does not rattle about in the cage.

Here is one of my models in a cage http://shpws.me/QtVc

Alexander