The Visitor

Time for my second CBC diorama. So far not much has been done, but I will be getting some plaster cloth tomorrow to landscape with. This time I've cut down the backscene to allow the diorama to be viewed from all sides. It is essentially a minor road crossing a single track railway line in 00 gauge, the remains of the backscene being used to build up the road surface. At this stage it looks like I'm doing something standard gauge and relatively conventional, but all will become clear soon...

I had a couple of goes at cutting the track to fit across the diagonal. Bearing in mind that the part where the road is will be covered, which of the two do you think looks best?

post-33493-0-09210900-1530217424_thumb.jpgpost-33493-0-97941300-1530217454_thumb.jpg

post-33493-0-09210900-1530217424_thumb.jpg

post-33493-0-97941300-1530217454_thumb.jpg

Hi 009

I too, had some trouble cutting track on the diagonal for my cbc. Next time I will definitely use a slitting blade in my mini drill.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Regards 

Bill

Wow! Looks great. I love the wooden colouring on the crossing.

Thank you. It is done with thinned black and brown enamel paints. For softwood strip acrylic works but I'm using coffee stirrers and matchsticks to save money and these seem to only absorb enamels. The checkrails are actually N gauge code 80. I'm not sure if I should have anti trespass bars or if these are a more modern feature.

Thank you for your comment. I have now added some moss to the walls and rocks and added a sign for the crossing. While I have a few bits and pieces to add, including some sheep in the field, I think it's time to reveal my second railway item and the reason for the name 'The Visitor':

post-33493-0-53420400-1531324865_thumb.jpg

Given that the loco is in rather weathered condition and the early preservation era set by the lorry, sign and wooden crossing I wonder if The New Arrival might be a better name, as I'm not sure that many preserved locos actually visited other heritage lines in the early days.

post-33493-0-60967400-1531324926_thumb.jpgpost-33493-0-95593600-1531324895_thumb.jpg

The lorry is a Base Toys AEC Mercury, with a thin wash of black enamel to weather it and a piece of Auhagen H0f track stuck down on the loadbed. I'm thinking of matt varnishing this but I may brush the varnish on the cab section as it could be difficult to mask the windows. The static loco is a bit of Roco 0-6-0T on a plastic chassis from a static Z gauge 0-6-0 tank loco of unknown manufacture, with some bits of plastic, a white metal chimney and a cut down 00 brake standard. The centre buffer/couplings are from an Egger works loco with bits of chain added, and there is a Narobahn mine wagon axle to make the loco into an 0-6-2T. While it is static I have used it on other dioramas before, hence the slight inaccuracy of coal on the footplate while being transported by road. I've also had a go at disguising the badly cut track with some grass patches.post-33493-0-28510000-1531324984_thumb.jpg

Edited by 009 micro modeller
  • Like 4

I had a feeling that "the visitor" would be a loco of some description in "transportation mode!" But its a good idea, I also like the road sign, and as a suggestion, might a figure or two also help add to the overall effect?

I thought about having a figure, although I'm not sure what they would be doing. Possibly phoning the signalman to check it's safe to take a long vehicle over the crossing (obviously requiring a phone or phone box to be added - I think for level crossings they have their own that goes directly to the signal box, it seems an unlikely site for a normal phone box)? Should I also have road markings near the edge of the crossing or is this wrong for the period set by the sign?

Off the top of my head, I'm not 100% sure re the signal box/phone also the crossing markings, maybe you could try google for more info? But re the matter of a figure, how about someone standing by the side of the cab (drivers side), after the wagon had stopped/the driver had summoned the person/figure in question over, in order to ask for directions to wherever he (the driver) was going?

Edited by Andrew Cockburn

Off the top of my head, I'm not 100% sure re the signal box/phone also the crossing markings, maybe you could try google for more info? But re the matter of a figure, how about someone standing by the side of the cab (drivers side), after the wagon had stopped/the driver had summoned the person/figure in question over, in order to ask for directions to wherever he (the driver) was going?

That's not a bad idea, I could possibly modify the shepherd figure that came with the sheep to represent a hiker or similar - it would give some life to it. The lorry is possibly not being glued down and the loco is definitely not being glued to it permanently as I want to be able to use the loco on other dioramas and possibly display other vehicles on this diorama - the lorry I'm not so bothered about. I wonder if this means I have to make the figure removable...

That's not a bad idea, I could possibly modify the shepherd figure that came with the sheep to represent a hiker or similar - it would give some life to it. The lorry is possibly not being glued down and the loco is definitely not being glued to it permanently as I want to be able to use the loco on other dioramas and possibly display other vehicles on this diorama - the lorry I'm not so bothered about. I wonder if this means I have to make the figure removable...

Maybe you could put a couple of cyclists or walkers at the roadside, then it would not matter what was on the road. :locomotive:

• 2 weeks later...

Some fine scenic work here. As above, I particularly like the stone wall, but the scene works well as a whole. It's great to see that new cakeboxes are still being built too - if you're still making yours let's see them before it's too late, and don't forget to send all entries to me at cakeboxchallenge@warnersgroup.co.uk. Competition rules, dates and prize info in my post pinned at the top of this forum.

Cheers

Andy

I really like the stone wall you have built from cardboard would be interesting to see how you achieved making the wall as others might want to have a go at building one.

Thank you. As I explained when you messaged me I did not measure the width and length of individual pieces of cardboard, just roughly estimated. The real things often look quite rough, being built from waste from roofing and building work, or found stones. I've tried to get a reasonable overlap with the course below to maintain the wall's structure. I usually start by painting sheets of cardboard (thin, as used in Amazon A5 delivery envelopes) then cutting into strips. The sides of the strips are then painted, and I then cut into individual pieces. The ends can usually be seen only at the end or on the top course, but these and any badly painted sides can always be touched in after the wall is built.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got round to matt varnishing the figure and attaching to the diorama. I decided not to use the shepherd but found something suitable in my spares boxes. This is probably finished - I feel that there should possibly be some sort of road markings for the crossing but I'm not sure how to do these and make them look good without spending a lot. I'm also not sure what markings - just a stop line or something more?

post-33493-0-45449200-1534937305_thumb.jpgpost-33493-0-42672900-1534937330_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...