Balbeggie Sidings

sulzer27jd

• RMweb Premium

I quite agree with Claggy. The captions that you have given your photos are great. They have really let me know just what you have going on with you great layout.

Thanks all, your positive comments are appreciated. I went to a bit of trouble to develop a working timetable as I think it gives the railway a sense of purpose. Rather than just a train passing you now have a service, going from somewhere, heading somewhere else. You can also create a bit of fun by throwing in delays and getting things out of sequence. It also helps me stay disciplined in terms of what I go out and buy - which is good.

As for the captions, I'm glad you like that style. I try to give them the sort of feel you would get if they were illustrating a magazine article about the line.

Thanks again

John

Hi John , great layout with superb scenics and track , can`t beat the time period for locos and stock...great selection , like the idea of timetables ect ...dont delay the freights in the loop to long if a pass service is running late ,the freight drivers get the hump!..;) ..

Hi,

For real thrown up problems, on Caolisport I use a 20 sided dice, on the hour every hour bringing up a range of operational issues. Issues such as certain loco failures, points failures, simple late running, hot axle boxes etc etc. Some of the numbers relate to normal running. I have found this random set of circumstances really makes you think as an ops control railwayman rather than just playing with a toy.

That said I've got a steam special to despatch, cheerio

Claggy

• 1 month later...

An excellent layout. Very inspirational and something to aspire to (but with fewer 47's and more Deltics).

Did somebody say Deltic? Bit of an early 80's running session tonight.

55013 working the 05.50 Kings Cross to Aberdeen on the run north of Edinburgh. 1S12 passes Balbeggie Sidings just after 1.00 pm;

55013_1S12.jpg

Heading away from the photographer;

55013_1S12_2.jpg

Just minutes after this train passes north there is a Dundee - Edinburgh service. Good result with a class 40 up front;

40037_2G54.jpg

And shunting the yard - 25066;

25066_2.jpg

John

Hi John,

Very inspiring as always, great layout and nice to have a decent running length. I have been paying particualr attention to the vegetation along the lineside as it looks very effective, especially the gorse as I need to add quite a lot of greenery on my own layout in the near future,

Always interesting to see your updates,

Thanks,

Mark

• 1 month later...

Hi John,

Just had a look over your layout and see that you have a really big loft space which you have taken full advantage of to create an utterly superb representation of a real main line railway. It is excellent! What is it like viewing the railway side-on through the rafters? Is it better looking along its length using the camera?

Cheers,

Adam

Hi John,

Just had a look over your layout and see that you have a really big loft space which you have taken full advantage of to create an utterly superb representation of a real main line railway. It is excellent! What is it like viewing the railway side-on through the rafters? Is it better looking along its length using the camera?

Cheers,

Adam

Adam when you look up the centre of the attic you actually see very little. The fact that the trusses restrict your view does have its limitations, but it also forces you (physically) into the scene, giving a track side perspective, which is pretty much reflected in the photographs. I suppose when we view the prototype, most often it is in a similar lineside position, so it makes it feel quite natural.

And of course the advantage of the long run easily outweighs any disadvantage of sight lines.

Thanks for you kind comments

John

Did somebody say Deltic? Bit of an early 80's running session tonight.

55013 working the 05.50 Kings Cross to Aberdeen on the run north of Edinburgh. 1S12 passes Balbeggie Sidings just after 1.00 pm;

55013_1S12.jpg

Heading away from the photographer;

55013_1S12_2.jpg

Just minutes after this train passes north there is a Dundee - Edinburgh service. Good result with a class 40 up front;

40037_2G54.jpg

And shunting the yard - 25066;

25066_2.jpg

John

Hi John

Got to say this is ONE GREAT Layout...

For...

Size... Photos shots... and the Photos in B&W... Length... The Deltic & the Class 37's

Keep the photos coming there are great John, Just wish I had the room for that Length of Layout... :angry:

Love Dude

Regards

Jamie

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

That is a great layout you have there. Keep the photos coming. I was thinking of settting up a layout round the roof myself.I was just wondering how wide you baseboards are. Also how wide is the gap between the baseboards on either side?

Thanks

daniel11

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

That is a great layout you have there. Keep the photos coming. I was thinking of settting up a layout round the roof myself.I was just wondering how wide you baseboards are. Also how wide is the gap between the baseboards on either side?

Thanks

daniel11

Sorry Daniel, I have only just seen your post. The boards are 600mm wide, but are extended to take up the angle of the roof truss, which gives a scenic width of 725mm at a rail height from floor of 1.2m. If that makes sense?

The fiddle yard is a bit wider still.

John

Is it really one year ago the last service has run through Balbeggie Sidings? I miss it.

It doesn't seem like that MacRat. I really haven't had much time in the last while and the layout has not been getting used much. When I have had a chance I find a bit of shunting with a sound fitted class 26 or the likes quite therapeutic.

Its funny how you think you know what you want from a project but it somehow doesn't quite deliver. This style of layout would be great at an exhibition but for a home layout, even with quite a bit of stock it does becomes a bit repetative. In what time I have had, i've found myself doing more modelling on less stock. Which also has the added advantage on not costing so much.

Anyway I have found myself doodling on bits of paper, and thats never usually a good sign.

I'll maybe do a photo session when the temperature comes up a bit. Thanks for your kind comment.

J

Just been revisiting your earlier posts and enjoying the pictures again. It really does capture the Lochmuir-Thornton-Kirkcaldy "feel". Pity you can't bottle it and sell it... we'll just have to make do with photos... more please!

At one point you mentioned signalling. Did you plan on MAS or semaphores? I suppose strictly it would have to be the former if post-1980?

cheers

Graham

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Brilliant stuff John, Reminds me so much of Fife from when I was a kid in Dundee in the early '80's.

I'd definitely buy a bottle!

I get the feeling our paths have crossed around that time.

Keep up the good work and more pictures.. Please!

Mark

• 3 months later...

A couple of shots of the latest motive power to join my fleet. I am currently working on a revised project but all are running on Balbeggie Sidings at present.

00925e06.jpg

Peppercorn A1 60152 runs light engine north

9c949058.jpg

Black 5 45384 works its way home to Dundee on a short fitted freight. Held at Balbeggie Sidings.

J

Archived