Motorcycles in 4mm scale, and S scale

E3109

I can't find much on the forum about this, hoping somebody here has any info to share.

Motorcycles and scooters seem fairly obscure in model railway sizes, with the possible exception of HO where they're fairly well catered for.

HO is far too small for what I'm after, although the ones I've seen are lovely (pricey) representations.

I realise that there is a new issue of a motorbike and sidecar (Oxford?) but apart from that, are there many others?

What I really want are machines that are roughly 1:64, for an Asian project which is currently on the back burner.

Asia wouldn't be Asia without hundreds of 'motos' in view. Any make, any era although Honda Cubs, Vespas, Lambrettas are a must, along with more modern 'hairdryers' such as the Honda Wave.

I've looked at various 1:72 military offerings but couldn't find any motorcycles, they don't need to be too accurate as I'm happy to fettle round with them and depending on the machine, 1:72 could feasibly be used for either scale I'm representing be it 4mm or 1:64.

I would like a few motorbikes on my 4mm layout too, hence the dual query.

Any leads appreciated.

Cheers

E3109

• RMweb Gold

There is a Russian firm Zvezda who do a military BMW R12 with sidecar - military. This is in 1/32 - kit has 2 versions and also 1/72 which has 1.

The 1/72 I got from the front cover of a military modelling mag last month - but no instructions!!

Regards

Basil

There were several motorcycles in the Micro-Machines toy playset range, some of which were close to 1/76-1/72.  About ten years ago, Kentoys also did some playsets with a VW van and a Mitsubishi Delica 4x4 people carrier at very near 1/76, and a US Ford pickup, Harley-Davidson Police bike, and a Mercedes estate at around 1/72 in various combinations along with figures, barriers, lamps etc. BW Models had a pair of Bombardier off-road bikes, and Rod Parker does a Triumph with sports sidecar, Vincent Black Shadow and a scooter. Airfix/Dapol have a scooter in one of their figure sets, and P.D. Marsh also have a whitemetal scooter. There may even be something suitable  in the Kinder Egg series. It's a pity no-one does a Honda Cub, they were everywhere - apparently over 100, 000,000 have been made !

• Like 1

Thanks for that gents, I will pursue these leads.

Fodenway, you know what, last night I did a bit of googling and the Kinder Egg route did appear to come up trumps.

An eBay seller in Germany is offering a couple of Vespas for around a fiver plus p+p, and it's stated that these are 1:64.

Seems quite a few Kinder products were done to that scale and although quite crude in many respects, it does appear that the basics are correct and thus should scrub up rather well.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Matchbox produced a trailer holding a couple of trials bikes. Not sure of the scale but larger than 1/76.

They did a yellow trailer with red Honda branding and a bike a bit like a 125 twin from the 1960s.  Ideal for green diesel era as they wore out in about 5 years.

• Like 1

Matchbox did a number of motorcyle/sidecar/scooters over the years (production years in brackets). From the catalogues I have the scales are:

4c Triumph T110 motorcycle & sidecar 1:42 (1960-66)

36b Lambretta scooter & sidecar 1:41 (1961-66)

66b Harley-Davidson motorcycle & sidecar 1:41 (1962-6)

38c Honda motorcycle & trailer 1:41 (1967-73, then in twin packs '77-81)

By the time the Holden pick-up came out they'd given up putting a scale, but the early ones would seem to be acceptable for 0 scale.

Edited by BernardTPM

Suppose you've seen the Airfix offerings , all ww2 but maybe you have a classic bike meeting on your layout !

Expensive way to get them though as you would have to buy the RAF Recovery  set for two  Norton mounted despatch riders and the RAF vehicle set has one single motorcycle ( Norton ?)

post-3430-0-58949400-1530549524.jpg

post-3430-0-24311200-1530549545_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good call. It was a Holden pickup with two bikes. I used them on my train set as a kid in the 80s so they cannot have been too far off scale. About 1:70?

They did a yellow trailer with red Honda branding and a bike a bit like a 125 twin from the 1960s.  Ideal for green diesel era as they wore out in about 5 years.

The same bikes were used with both models.

Here's the Honda on trailer (38c) and Holden with Motorcycles (60d). The motorcycles from 60d were later used on a different trailer pulled by a Citroen.

MatchboxMotorcycles.jpg.b9114718dd145c0c75c0f0d4d7bc1d8c.jpg

The Holden Ute.is an HJ which was 192" long. The model is 73.75mm so approx. 1:66 scale, though whether that also applies to the motorcycle I don't know. It doesn't look too big next to the Airfix one - Here's the small Matchbox motorcycle against the well-known Airfix one (BSA M20*)

MatchboxAirfix.jpg.8fe0c1463dbece96f9b2549be8e0ed2d.jpg

* Sorry, see below!

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

To my mind, that Airfix motorbike/motorcycle (sorry, I don't know the difference) on the right in the last photo above is the best readily available model for use in OO railway modelling. Thanks to Bernard for the information that it is a BSA M20. Isn't it extraordinary that it came out so long ago, and hasn't yet been bettered?

Hornby also do a rather neat scooter, available as an item in one of their OO people packets.

John Storey

• Like 2

The BSA M20 motorcycle in the bomber resupply kit looks very detailed with spoked wheels and girder forks, if it's a true representation.

Not convinced the despatch riders bikes are BSA M20's look more Norton to me and with telescopic forks could only be  Matchless G3 if WW2 era. :)

Edited by jcb 3c
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also have a couple of Lego 1:86 scale motorcycles on my layout from circa 1960

May look out for those matchbox bikes again as they look like they could be usable with some work for an 80s era layout

Edited by ianmacc
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Fujimi also produced some 1/76 military vehicle kits, some of them included motorcycles. One was a U.S. Jeep with an Indian solo motorcycle and another was a German Kubelwagen with a BMW sidecar outfit. The Indian was at one time a serious competitor to Harley-Davidson with a 4 cylinder in-line engine. The BMW/sidecar unit represents one of those with a driven sidecar wheel. Another kit available from an Eastern European maker is a 1/72 Jawa motorbike of the 50's/60's era.

• RMweb Premium

Of course there are always the more traditional model railway scenic accessory suppliers like Dart Castings and Langleys.

Edit , PD Marsh and I am sure Hornby do a scooter in one of the people sets but I cannot find it on the interwebthingy.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

A new series of 1:76 scale motorbikes has just been announced, just scroll down to find them.

http://www.facebook.com/80mbusmodelshop/

Thanks for all the replies so far gents, I hope this thread will run and run.

Phil that's a cracking find, I'm aware of that company due to my bus interests.

I'm also overdue a trip to dear old Hong Kong... I can see me returning with a suitcase full of models at this rate, having slung my clothes first!

Thanks again.

• Like 1

The BSA M20 motorcycle in the bomber resupply kit looks very detailed with spoked wheels and girder forks, if it's a true representation.

Not convinced the despatch riders bikes are BSA M20's look more Norton to me and with telescopic forks could only be  Matchless G3 if WW2 era. :)

Also, the Matchless G3 was the only ohv, hydraulic fork design supplied to HM Forces, although various ohv Ariel machines were supplied they had girder forks.