Rockley Bottom 1:35 scale?

Ruston

Evening all,

I have just found a Cadbury's Fingers tin at the back of a cupboard and in it I discovered some things that I must have bought between 15 and 20 years ago. Among the narrow gauge stuff in the tin are two resin kits for Hudson Rugga skips, in 1:35 scale (8.7mm /ft?) and labelled Rockley Bottom Railway. ISTR that I bought them at a 7mm NGA event, probably in Loughborough.

I bought them with a view to doing something that could run a truer 2ft. gauge on 16.5 track than in 7mm scale but, in the end, I stayed with 1:43.5 and went the whole way and hand-built 0-14 using Roy Link components and jigs. I just wondered if this supplier is still trading and if 1:35 scale took off at all.

No locomotives were then available (which was probably why I never went anywhere with 1:35) but I now have the skills to scratchbuild them and I may do so in the future if other equipment and rolling stock is available.

Also, what is the name or code (as in how we have 009 and O-14 etc.) for 2ft. gauge on 16.5 track to 1:35 scale?

No locomotives were then available (which was probably why I never went anywhere with 1:35) but I now have the skills to scratchbuild them and I may do so in the future if other equipment and rolling stock is available.

Also, what is the name or code (as in how we have 009 and O-14 etc.) for 2ft. gauge on 16.5 track to 1:35 scale?

Back in the last century - 1992 to be precise - I began building a layout ("Portpyn") in 1:34 scale (near as damn it 9mm/ft) using 16.5mm track  (scales 1ft 10ins). Whilst by no means finescale it was a very good experience and proved popular on the exhibition circuit.

Later in the 1990s I built another ("St Pierre et la Rue Perrin") in the same scale/gauge combination. This too proved successful with exhibition managers and their public.

The size and bulk of the models was very satisfying, especially when compared with "O16.5". I would encourage anyone tempted to work in this or a similar scale (eg. 1:35 or 1:32) to go ahead.

As to what to call such work, my answer was simple - "1:34". I would suggest the assumed need for a designation like "OO9" or "O14" is a mistake. Why not simply state the scale and if anyone is interested to know more explain the actual (model) track gauge.

CP

• Like 1