Old road signs

Currently I'm attempting to find road signs for a diorama that are correct for the era. The Worboys Committee to change to the current style of road signs was formed in 1963, and the actual legislation created a bit later, but I'm wondering, in practice, when all the old style signs would have been replaced by, as presumably they wouldn't have gone immediately. If it's important I'm particularly looking at level crossing signs, which presumably could have been one of the first things to be replaced.

Rockingham station crossing had the old style signs in place for a few years after the line closed and probably long after the track was lifted. The BSC Corby mineral line crossing on Gretton Brook Rd also had the old style in place long after closure, they were still there in the late 1980s.

There are still a few around, we came across two "road narrows' in Norfolk last summer (I thought all roads in Norfolk were narrow!).

• RMweb Gold

Currently I'm attempting to find road signs for a diorama that are correct for the era. The Worboys Committee to change to the current style of road signs was formed in 1963, and the actual legislation created a bit later, but I'm wondering, in practice, when all the old style signs would have been replaced by, as presumably they wouldn't have gone immediately. If it's important I'm particularly looking at level crossing signs, which presumably could have been one of the first things to be replaced.

Depends on the importance of the crossing. If on a significant main or secondary road, yes. On country lanes, many of the old ones probably outlived the crossing they protected, only being updated when the crossing was converted to AHBs.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Whilst I can't say with certainty about railway crossing signs, I do remember many pre-Worboys road signs still in use in rural Somerset well into the 1980s at least. Some may even have survived into the 1990s, but by that time I was living in more technically advanced areas of the country ;).

• 5 months later...

The old style signs started to be replaced in 1964 and replacement was almost totally complete by 1968 - I was dashing around measuring up the rapidly disappearing old ones so I remember the dates well. Odd ones did get missed, and survived for decades, but the survivors really were few and far between.

Incidentally, it wasn't only the road signs that were changed, all the road markings were altered too. Some, parking restriction yellow lines (a yellow line meant "no loading" pre-Warboys and was a real rarity) and give way and stop lines at junctions were changed very quickly. Others, such as lane markers (where the relative lengths line/space changed), were only altered when it became necessary to repaint them.