Colwyn Model Railway Club Exhibition

Nick G

One of the few exhibitions held in North Wales so I thought I would give it a plug.

COLWYN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB -ANNUAL EXHIBITION

Saturday 28th July 2018  -  Sunday 29th July 2018

(10am to 5pm)               (10am to 4pm) 

Adults £4.00 Children £3.00 ( free for under 5's)

Craig y Don Community Centre

Queens Road, Craig y Don. Llandudno LL30 1TE.

Come and meet us and see more than 15 Layouts and diaramas being exhibited, and 7 model railway and transport related trade stands. 

Exhibitors include:

layout                                   Gauge      Operator

Wynthorpe Magna;                             O                    Colwyn Model Railway Club. 

Kirbythorpe                                          OO9              M. Hallett

Amlwch                                                  N                   D. Roberts (Club member)

Beaumontville                                        OO               N. Beaumont (Club member)

Llangurig                                                OO               C. & A. Oldfield

Tiny Town                                               Z                  C. Mc Cready

Tan y Bryn                                              OO               J. Bilsland    

Rocky Ridge                                            N                  N Gauge Society 

Maentwrog Road                                    OO               N. Gurney

Letsby Central                                         OO              D. Rainford

Lon Diesel                                                 G                 Lon Diesel

Fantasy Land                                            N                 Ellesmere MRC

Die Alte Muhle                                          N                 J. Parkinson

New Pandora 7 Geirionydd Tramway   7mm narrow gauge

post-7968-0-07392100-1530477425_thumb.jpg

One of the few exhibitions held in North Wales so I thought I would give it a plug.

COLWYN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB -ANNUAL EXHIBITION

Saturday 28th July 2018  -  Sunday 29th July 2018

(10am to 5pm)               (10am to 4pm) 

Adults £4.00 Children £3.00 ( free for under 5's)

Craig y Don Community Centre

Queens Road, Craig y Don. Llandudno LL30 1TE.

Come and meet us and see more than 15 Layouts and diaramas being exhibited, and 7 model railway and transport related trade stands. 

Exhibitors include:

layout                                   Gauge      Operator

Wynthorpe Magna;                             O                    Colwyn Model Railway Club. 

Kirbythorpe                                          OO9              M. Hallett

Amlwch                                                  N                   D. Roberts (Club member)

Beaumontville                                        OO               N. Beaumont (Club member)

Llangurig                                                OO               C. & A. Oldfield

Tiny Town                                               Z                  C. Mc Cready

Tan y Bryn                                              OO               J. Bilsland    

Rocky Ridge                                            N                  N Gauge Society 

Maentwrog Road                                    OO               N. Gurney

Letsby Central                                         OO              D. Rainford

Lon Diesel                                                 G                 Lon Diesel

Fantasy Land                                            N                 Ellesmere MRC

Die Alte Muhle                                          N                 J. Parkinson

New Pandora 7 Geirionydd Tramway   7mm narrow gauge

Thanks for the plug Nick, saved me a job !

Look forward to seeing you and Maentwrog Road there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The posting of details of this event takes me back over 50 years when I used to spend a weeks holidaying in Llandudno with my parents. From 1964 to 1967 when we were there I would 'slope off' and spend the afternoon most days helping Lou Nadin operate his Model Railway show upstairs in a converted garage in Garage Street, Llandudno. It was actually listed as a Llandudno attraction and I wonder if any readers on this forum may have also visited.....................I know Merf on this forum did because that is where we first met all those years ago and we are still in contact..............although we meet up in 'ale houses' these days!

When I last spoke to Merf I promised that I would post some pictures.....although not top quality............of the layout in Garage Street..........and having just dug out the slides I thought I would scan them and do so.

I hope that this may rekindle a few memories and maybe some members of the Colwyn Bay Club may also enjoy them. Lou Nadin was a fine gentleman, as I remember as a 15 year old back then, and he used to sell current and secondhand model railway items to hopeful modellers who had seen his good operational layout to get a 'fix' on.

In the views I have posted you can make out the centrepiece of the layout, which was a fully operational hump marshalling yard. I think at the time that the Hornby Dublo 8F was the strongest locomotive on his layout which managed about sixty wagons around the 24ft x 8ft layout.

Oh turn back that clock!

post-4697-0-33252400-1532251159_thumb.jpgpost-4697-0-75271500-1532251190_thumb.jpgpost-4697-0-14307300-1532251214_thumb.jpgpost-4697-0-15134900-1532251289_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

You just made my day Graham. I'm really glad you found the pictures. I had forgotten a lot of the details of the layout.

My main memory of Lou was showing off his loco's strength, mainly Hornby Dublo.  He had 4 x 10 coach sets of Kitmasters and he liked to couple them all and run a 40 coach train behind the Duchess. The loco was not far behind it's own tail end.

When Lou retired the layout was sold to 2 of our club members who ran it for some time before the layout was sold I believe, but don't know where it went.  I bought most of the Kitmasters and the Duchess, which was well knackered and now cannot even pull the tender.

Good times Mate.

I also spent many hours at Lou Nadin's layout. As a regular visitor and a member of Colwyn MRC i had free access whenever i went there. People often ask me why i model the Southern Region when i live in North Wales. The answer is that it was Lou who sent me down that track. He had a Wills King Arthur on (i think) a triang chassis pulling a long set of GREEN coaches round the layout. When i arrived at the garage he always ran the Arthur as soon as i got there. I bought quite a bit of Southern Region stock off him at a great price when he sold up. That is the reason i model the SR and not because i used to live down south. I did not get Lou's Arthur but i did build my own. I still have it though it is now a non runner.

Thanks for the pictures. Great memories.

George 

I also spent many hours at Lou Nadin's layout. As a regular visitor and a member of Colwyn MRC i had free access whenever i went there. People often ask me why i model the Southern Region when i live in North Wales. The answer is that it was Lou who sent me down that track. He had a Wills King Arthur on (i think) a triang chassis pulling a long set of GREEN coaches round the layout. When i arrived at the garage he always ran the Arthur as soon as i got there. I bought quite a bit of Southern Region stock off him at a great price when he sold up. That is the reason i model the SR and not because i used to live down south. I did not get Lou's Arthur but i did build my own. I still have it though it is now a non runner.

Thanks for the pictures. Great memories.

George 

George, do you remember when he sold up ?

Gosh, I remember that place my parents used to take me as a young boy on a saturday afternoon as a treat. Would be early 70's I imagine, was it down a street not far from the railway station?

Gosh, I remember that place my parents used to take me as a young boy on a saturday afternoon as a treat. Would be early 70's I imagine, was it down a street not far from the railway station?

That's correct. Turn right outside the station then left into Garage Street. the building is still there.