NEW BATCH OF ‘OO' HYMEKS COMING SOON

Andy Y

PRESS RELEASE

NEW BATCH OF ‘OO' HYMEKS COMING SOON

It’s been a few years since we last produced any Class 35 Hymek diesel-hydraulics in ‘OO’ gauge, but the final touches are currently being put to a new batch models covering all the major liveries - and one unusual ‘special edition’. 

As one of Heljan's most popular models, the Hymek is always in demand and four of the five new models span the BR career of the class, from the early-1960s through to 1975. All feature different identities to previous production runs. However, the fifth model features a famous ‘what might have been’ livery applied by the Diesel Traction Group (DTG) to D7017 in the early-1990s. The preserved Type 3 was outshopped in the-then current BR engineers sector grey/yellow livery, complete with TOPS numbers and the name Williton, after its base at the West Somerset Railway. Production of this special edition is strictly limited, but like its standard liveried sisters it will be available on general release via Heljan UK stockists. The identities of the new Hymeks are as follows:

3526: BR green D7015 (as built)

66035261-noinfo 2.jpg

3527: BR green D7088 (small yellow warning panels)

66035271-noinfo 2.jpg

3528: BR early blue D7004 (small yellow warning panels)

66035281-noinfo 2.jpg

3529: BR standard blue 7001 (all yellow ends)

66035291-noinfo 2.jpg

3530: BR ‘Dutch’ grey/yellow 35017 Williton (DTG post-preservation repaint)

66035301-noinfo 2.jpg

All models are DCC Ready with an 8-pin decoder interface, all-wheel drive and pick-up, working marker lights and illuminated headcodes and numerous fine details. A pack of optional detailing parts is also supplied, including three-piece miniature snowploughs. 

SRP: £129.95 each

Expected Release Date: Q4 2018 

Pre-orders are being taken now at Heljan UK stockists. Don’t miss out - order yours today! 

• Like 8

One hopes that the greens won't appear quite like they are in the above renditions (or is it a computer driven rendering problem?)

Normally such renders are only a colour layout with accompanying notes to show where a colour (specified in accompanying notes) is to be applied. Heljan green Hymeks have been OK before so I'm not unduly worried.

• Like 1

3530: BR ‘Dutch’ grey/yellow 35017 Williton (DTG post-preservation repaint)

attachicon.gifindex.php?app=core&module=attach&section

Will the final model have nameplates and its Williton depot plaques I wonder :)

Edited by LaGrange

• RMweb Gold

more importantly white spot head code panels !

However more than likely, had BR kept Hymeks into the 1990's it would have been a marker light / headlight arrangement (like the central head code 37's or 45's) with the glass panel removed, and maybe modified to have airbrakes, maybe even blue star operation with multiple working jumper cables ?

Edited by adb968008

more importantly white spot head code panels !

However more than likely, had BR kept Hymeks into the 1990's it would have been a marker light / headlight arrangement (like the central head code 37's or 45's) with the glass panel removed, and maybe modified to have airbrakes, maybe even blue star operation with multiple working jumper cables ?

As long as it looks like this Ill be happy - http://www.hondawanderer.com/35017_Watchet_1992.htm

• Like 3

As I mentioned in the other Heljan class 35 thread, I still don't understand why Hattons have them all listed at £104 except the standard BR blue one that is £112! It makes no sense for the blue one alone to cost more than the other ones with more complex liveries

• RMweb Premium

As I mentioned in the other Heljan class 35 thread, I still don't understand why Hattons have them all listed at £104 except the standard BR blue one that is £112! It makes no sense for the blue one alone to cost more than the other ones with more complex liveries

It wouldn't be the first time that Hatton's has had differential pricing for models - unless it's weathered so the RRP is higher. If they think one will sell with a smaller discount then they price accordingly. £112 is after all still discounted.

It wouldn't be the first time that Hatton's has had differential pricing for models - unless it's weathered so the RRP is higher. If they think one will sell with a smaller discount then they price accordingly. £112 is after all still discounted.

Still discounted maybe, but not fair to descriminate against BR Blue period modellers. It looks very odd that they are all the same price except the one version, and there is no mention of model being weathered on any of the sites i've seen it listed on, so it can't be that.

Still missing the CIE livery of Orange & Black as per the Triang one!

Yeah, harumph, story there lads? Stick on the CIE roundel too, tut tut. 

I'd not pay much heed to the colours on graphic and deco plates which are produced in CAD, typically 256 colour range, ala 1992. 

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's won't ..... Model has headboard clips still

Yes indeed, Heljan do keep producing low-numbered locos with headboard clips, they account for about half of the versions produced so far. Only 3527 in this batch is actually correct.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Judging by what presumably are photos of the finished model on Kernow and Olivia's websites, the model appears to have a nameplate and crest on only one side of the loco. This seems strange - I can find several photos on the internet showing the side of the loco in its Dutch livery on which the nameplate is centrally mounted, but very little of the other - best I can find is one of 35017 at Minehead with what looks like a nameplate/crest mounted at the far end of the locomotive between the third and fourth side windows (ie, asymmetrically to the other side) - suggesting that nameplates/crests should indeed be printed on both sides. Perhaps someone who actually saw the loco whilst it carried its 35017 identity could comment ?

https://www.preserved-diesels.co.uk/2004/7017_13.htm

Edited by WisTramwayMan

3529 D7001 is apparently lightly weathered  - so I was told by a very well known south-western retailer who is selling the loco for the same price as the non-weathered ones at the non-weathered price, and based on which I've ordered one.

Judging by what presumably are photos of the finished model on Kernow and Olivia's websites, the model appears to have a nameplate and crest on only one side of the loco. This seems strange - I can find several photos on the internet showing the side of the loco in its Dutch livery on which the nameplate is centrally mounted, but very little of the other - best I can find is one of 35017 at Minehead with what looks like a nameplate/crest mounted at the far end of the locomotive between the third and fourth side windows (ie, asymmetrically to the other side) - suggesting that nameplates/crests should indeed be printed on both sides. Perhaps someone who actually saw the loco whilst it carried its 35017 identity could comment ?

https://www.preserved-diesels.co.uk/2004/7017_13.htm

Well I never, you've found one of my fots! Sadly I didn't get to take many of '35017' when she was in 'Dutch', always seemed to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, though I'll have a look & see what I might have tucked away in the vaults.

Well I never, you've found one of my fots! Sadly I didn't get to take many of '35017' when she was in 'Dutch', always seemed to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, though I'll have a look & see what I might have tucked away in the vaults.

Interesting livery, I know some people get a bit sniffy about non-period liveries but as one who found 55016's repaint in Porterbrook livery quite intriguing (and travelled behind it twice on the main line whilst it was so attired) I've got no problem with it. It was just the lack of crest/nameplate on one side of the model that stuck out like a sore thumb, and your photo was the only one I could find to back that up. 

I was about to jump in and say that 35017 was Belgian so what was all this nonsense about 'Dutch' ?  .... then I read the thread properly.

A senior moment... sorry, I'm very much pre-TOPS   :jester: