Boxchester Revisited

SouthernBlue80s

On 02/10/2020 at 03:01, AdeMoore said:

Great weathering there on the Dogfish, I’m currently building some Cambrian versions be interested in a step by step how you achieved that it’s superb.

Cheers 

Ade

Thanks for the kind words. Some of my weathering turns out better than I hoped or sometimes I am never quite happy with it.

What I would do on the kit builds. Is airbrush the base colours in enamel.

Then use acrilic over the top for the weathering. I swear by rail match frame dirt as the base weathering colour for anything frame and wheels. I then tend to paint weathering powder on wet. I then tend to use the powders dry. Less is more. I work as a rule vertically as that is the way dirt in water runs down the side of wagons. 

Another powder which is spot on. And which I used on the dogfish. Is DCC concepts track rust.

Often blending the whole thing in with a soft brush with a light powder on at the end gives everything a worn faded feel.

Page 5 on this thread of mine gives you an idea of painting with acrylic or weathering powder on top of enamel and then knocking it back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This was my first layout, so it was a massive learning curve over 10years or so.

If I started it again I would do things differently. I haven't the heart to rip it up, given the work I have put into it.

So the final changes on this.

I have opened up the fuel point and moved the disused engine shed to the yard end of the layout. So that all needs working on.

The bridge area at the other end I am pleased with but the sunlight has faded the brick paper over the years. I think I will put a disused line on the top of it. Perhaps I rebuild it with plasti card so solve the fading problem.

New position of the shed.IMG_20210126_153517.jpg.beabd51679f6b0cb3a4c1e12c8b2be0a.jpg

Locos on the Flfuel point will now be more visible

IMG_20210126_153506.jpg.b2140f2125e24ebdc3d88afcdbd5c470.jpg

Bridge area. You can see the difference in faded brick paper on the outer walls compared to the outside.

IMG_20210126_153528.jpg.9fc590f53add24ecb9692265ba83130c.jpg

IMG_20210126_153542.jpg.794e30b045619827ce93736d82834bd6.jpg

• Like 4