2018 NCiM Mallard and Dynamometer Car 80th Anniversary Set

On 3rd July 1938, Mallard powered its way into the history books, and became an icon for speed, style and steam. With it on that occasion, and measuring every inch of the journey, was the LNER Dynamometer Car, a mobile test bed for assessing locomotive performance, speed and efficiency. Over the decades, many models have been made to celebrate the classic A4 locomotive, but only now has the Dynamometer Car joined the loco in model form – replicating the fastest steam-hauled railway carriage in existence today, and like the loco, part of the National Collection.

To celebrate this landmark 80th Anniversary we are pleased to offer a limited edition twin set to mark this landmark event.

Price £369.95

post-9822-0-86934500-1530629541.png

It's Hornby's A4, gloss-finished and in speed record condition i.e. without commemorative plaque.

I don't suppose there's any chance the record-breaking speed run formation will be completed with the carriages borrowed from one of the streamlined sets?

• Like 1

One would have thought that the official announcement would have gone into much more specific detail about the particulars for such a premium product, rather that having to rely on Andy to disseminate product spec for them. Why go the trouble of an (admittedly very nice) banner ad on RMweb when the copy is so poor? Is it even stated anywhere when this product is expected to be available? 

Is it just me or have the comms from Locomotion Models gone right down hill over the last 18 months or so? This is premium product with Poundshop marketing! 

CoY

They don,t have photographs of samples and other details yet but to wait for those would be to miss today's date.

This is part Rapido (Dynamometer car) part Hornby (A4). I bet it is already a bit of a challenge getting two different makes organised to deliver at similar times and then - somehow - both parts must meet up somewhere to be boxed.

So some logistical challenges to overcome.

I wonder how big the run is, 250?

There will doubtless be some people fancying this set with an order at Rails for the same coach (non gloss) but probably unable to cancel because of the deposite.

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Premium

I’d have thought the Dino cars come from the existing run. It’s probably a matter of waiting for Hornby to produce the Mallard then they can get them out , perhaps existing boxes in a new foam cased box/presentation pack .

• RMweb Gold

According to their website the bog standard (excuse the expression ) Hornby Mallard is here. The deluxe item .....apparently sold out.......arrives next month.

The Locomotion boxed set is also available for sale now,I think ?

Though the website states the colour of the box may change with production....

Edited by Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

They don,t have photographs of samples and other details yet but to wait for those would be to miss today's date.

This is part Rapido (Dynamometer car) part Hornby (A4). I bet it is already a bit of a challenge getting two different makes organised to deliver at similar times and then - somehow - both parts must meet up somewhere to be boxed.

So some logistical challenges to overcome.

I wonder how big the run is, 250?

There will doubtless be some people fancying this set with an order at Rails for the same coach (non gloss) but probably unable to cancel because of the deposite.

Of course the way around that is to put your deposit on the alternative Dyno car so that you have a pair.......runs for cover.....

On 3rd July 1938, Mallard powered its way into the history books, and became an icon for speed, style and steam. With it on that occasion, and measuring every inch of the journey, was the North Eastern Railway built, LNER Dynamometer Car. A mobile test bed for assessing locomotive performance, speed and efficiency. 

Let me just help you with that bit there... 

• Like 4

So for £369.99, you get a £189.99 A4 and a £125.00 Coach - Apart from a Cardboard box, is there anything else to make it worth the extra notes????

Regards,

C.

Apparently, if you lift up the tray that holds Mallard and the Dyno Car in place, there's a hidden model of Ivatt Atlantic No.3290 you can use to pull your train back to King Cross.

I'll get my coat...

• Like 2

So for £369.99, you get a £189.99 A4 and a £125.00 Coach - Apart from a Cardboard box, is there anything else to make it worth the extra notes????

Regards,

C.

Gloss paint - if you knew how long that takes to dry.... holds up the entire production apparently even though they had someone watching them dry.

• RMweb Gold

Regards,

C.

That of course is entirely your decision.Worth remembering though that this,as are all other Locomotion NRM models,is marketed for the funding of York,Shildon and other NRM remits.Thus you pay a premium on top.

The question of "worth" is as in all cases .....entirely subjective.Many will see this set as a "must have".One member of this forum at least has declared his intention to buy.

What I do suggest is that you wait to see what comes "out of the box" in due course.Maybe Stuart will kindly oblige us with that pleasure .

I don't like using comparisons normally but in this case I will. Kernow have just released two Hornby Class 31 specials.They retail at around £170 which is higher by far the your average 31 to date. All I

have read on this forum are superlative reviews and absolutely no mention of cost. These modellers want them.....and they are prepared to dig a bit deeper into their pockets to have them.

As ever.....a choice to be made.

• RMweb Premium

One member of this forum at least has declared his intention to buy.

Yep that was me. For me, it’s simple reasoning. It’s a special anniversary, it’s a special boxed set, it’s an amazing loco model and coach model, and therefore it’s a no brainer to me.

Price doesn’t matter to me. I’m not rich by any means, so I will save for a few weeks and then get it. Just as I have done for the Evening Star Boxed Set I’m purchasing next week. Ive had it reserved since first announced, Ive been putting money away each week, and next week I will have the last I need to buy it.

This hobby is all about enjoyment. So I will enjoy it, regardless of what it costs me.

• Like 7

Ye

Yep that was me. For me, it’s simple reasoning. It’s a special anniversary, it’s a special boxed set, it’s an amazing loco model and coach model, and therefore it’s a no brainer to me.

Price doesn’t matter to me. I’m not rich by any means, so I will save for a few weeks and then get it. Just as I have done for the Evening Star Boxed Set I’m purchasing next week. Ive had it reserved since first announced, Ive been putting money away each week, and next week I will have the last I need to buy it.

This hobby is all about enjoyment. So I will enjoy it, regardless of what it costs me.

Yeah, thats fair enough.  We all do it to enjoy it.  The Evening Star wooden box set is actually pretty good value.   I recall the 70th anniversary Gold Pated Mallard A4, which I have one of.  Will the 70th Gold Pate edition be worth much now theres an 80th etc.   There seems to be a theme - 70th, 80th etc.  Just wondering what makes it special this time around.  OR are you better to wait for Mallards 100th? 

Regards,

C.

• RMweb Gold

Hilux I would not go so far as to say "regardless" of the cost. (Psst want to buy a nice loco for £25,000?)

I did the same for the 50th anniversary of Hornby Dublo when I ordered one of Michael Foster's celebratory V2 locomotive that cost, as far as I recall, £80 plus a donor Wrenn chassis. Expensive in 1988 but like Hilux, it was worth it to me and I still have it.

• RMweb Gold

According to their website the bog standard (excuse the expression ) Hornby Mallard is here. The deluxe item .....apparently sold out.......arrives next month.

The Locomotion boxed set is also available for sale now,I think ?

Though the website states the colour of the box may change with production....

The special edition Mallard was shown on the Hornby website as 'sold out' when it was first advertised to retailers - in other words 'here it is, its wonderful, it's a carefully timed release to coincide with the anniversary ... etc' but we can't sell you any because they're already sold out.

• RMweb Gold
The special edition Mallard was shown on the Hornby website as 'sold out' when it was first advertised to retailers - in other words 'here it is, its wonderful, it's a carefully timed release to coincide with the anniversary ... etc' but we can't sell you any because they're already sold out.[/quote

Curious.Or just another marketing ploy on the lines of what happened in early May with the windfall that never was ?

In effect we seem to await the arrival of 4 Hornby Mallards,if you include the railroad version.

• RMweb Gold

I think only an A4 can stand the test of time, volume and price. The pinnacle of that is Mallard.

still for 30 notes more you can buy the Dapol A4 with light, smoke and sound still.

I couldn’t believe in 2013 people would pay £2000 for a 6 set of A4’s in BR Green from Bachmann at Locomotion. But blink and i’d Missed it, never seen since.

Back in 1998 I sold a Dwight D Eisenhower Bachmann limited edition for £600.

No matter the price people just buy A4’s.

I think only an A4 can stand the test of time, volume and price. The pinnacle of that is Mallard.

still for 30 notes more you can buy the Dapol A4 with light, smoke and sound still.

I couldn’t believe in 2013 people would pay £2000 for a 6 set of A4’s in BR Green from Bachmann at Locomotion. But blink and i’d Missed it, never seen since.

Back in 1998 I sold a Dwight D Eisenhower Bachmann limited edition for £600.

No matter the price people just buy A4’s.

I think that just confirms the old saying that there's one born every minute. I don't understand paying vastly over the odds for limited editions.

Probably the same people who buy tat like Flying Scotsman clocks and Christmas trees with A3s going round them.

I'm not putting these models in that bracket, but are people really paying a premium for a box or is there something else included? I'm curious as the other set has the commemorative plaque included and something like that may make it worth buying. Not that I want one myself.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/337748/Hornby_R3612_80th_Anniversary_of_World_Steam_Record_pack_with_gold_plated_Class_A4_4468_Malla/StockDetail.aspx

Jason

• RMweb Premium

As my mother would have said ”more money than sense” . However if you get enjoyment through owning something then why not . From my point of view part of the enjoyment of owning is value . While it’s a great model. I must admit I look at my Locomotion Atlantic and think that was £189 to buy . I seemed to get more pleasure running my £47 Olton Hall which arrived at roughly the same time. I know you can’t compare them but one is approx 4 times the cost of the other!