2018 NCiM Mallard and Dynamometer Car 80th Anniversary Set

So for £369.99, you get a £189.99 A4 and a £125.00 Coach - Apart from a Cardboard box, is there anything else to make it worth the extra notes????

Regards,

C.

Maybe the Dynamometer car is lined.

Running for cover as I type.............

Guest spet0114

Though the website states the colour of the box may change with production....

Also, they may or may not add lining.....

Apparently, if you lift up the tray that holds Mallard and the Dyno Car in place, there's a hidden model of Ivatt Atlantic No.3290 you can use to pull your train back to King Cross.

I'll get my coat...

Would that be St. Pauls, via Halifax North Bridge, Holmfield and the Halifax High Level Railway? If so, I'll order one!

Richard. :)

Edited by RickRoper

• RMweb Gold
The special edition Mallard was shown on the Hornby website as 'sold out' when it was first advertised to retailers - in other words 'here it is, its wonderful, it's a carefully timed release to coincide with the anniversary ... etc' but we can't sell you any because they're already sold out.[/quote

Curious.Or just another marketing ploy on the lines of what happened in early May with the windfall that never was ?

In effect we seem to await the arrival of 4 Hornby Mallards,if you include the railroad version.

Well it is typical of some of Hornby's current disjointed, back-to-the-past, marketing.  Having seen this now advertised from the NRM I wonder if they had bought, or are buying, all the original production run of the 'special version' 'Mallard' and Hornby were caught out because they thought they would have some to sell?  Sort of left hand and right hand syndrome going on at Sandwich perhaps?  But fortunately LCD has talked about the need to strengthen their marketing and get it more attuned to the market ;) .

• Like 2

I've found this a somewhat bizarre announcement. Fully get the tie in but surely a lot of people who want a dyno car will already have ordered direct from Rails? Perhaps it picks up on the few who've missed out and will be prepared to pay at a higher rate. On the loco in the pack, great that it's produced without the commemorative plaque but odd to produce it in that form in a gloss finish. I'd have thought produce Mallard in the slightly weathered livery as in the famous picture running as a banner on this page as I type. I'd have been more up for that condition than a half way house between present day museum with the nod to running condition.

The release also shows further evidence of Rails/Hornby/NCiM/Locomotion collaboration. Hopefully that's a good thing and will extend beyond reliveries of existing tools.

More flippantly, it's a pity they've not got a mischievous sense of humour and added a pack of ainiseed balls! Perhaps they can produce a tin of ainiseed balls in an A4 shaped tin per their Flying Scotsman sweets....

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've found this a somewhat bizarre announcement. Fully get the tie in but surely a lot of people who want a dyno car will already have ordered direct from Rails? Perhaps it picks up on the few who've missed out and will be prepared to pay at a higher rate. On the loco in the pack, great that it's produced without the commemorative plaque but odd to produce it in that form in a gloss finish. I'd have thought produce Mallard in the slightly weathered livery as in the famous picture running as a banner on this page as I type. I'd have been more up for that condition than a half way house between present day museum with the nod to running condition.

The release also shows further evidence of Rails/Hornby/NCiM/Locomotion collaboration. Hopefully that's a good thing and will extend beyond reliveries of existing tools.

More flippantly, it's a pity they've not got a mischievous sense of humour and added a pack of ainiseed balls! Perhaps they can produce a tin of ainiseed balls in an A4 shaped tin per their Flying Scotsman sweets....

David

In view of Hornby's flip-flop-flip attitude to commission work since the regime change I seriously doubt we'll see much from them coming via the NCIM route but they might of course be playing a double game and treating different customers/potential commissioners in different ways. 

• RMweb Gold

A "normal" Mallard has just arrived at Rails for £146 , a very expensive box and 10 pence worth of Gloss (yuk) varnish.

But "as preserved" and not as 1938.....,,The Locomotion Mallard seems to be the only one of that on offer in the immediate future.Don't know if Hornby's "sold out" krugerrand version has that plaque .

But "as preserved" and not as 1938.....,,The Locomotion Mallard seems to be the only one of that on offer in the immediate future.Don't know if Hornby's "sold out" krugerrand version has that plaque .

The only difference I am aware of is the speed plaque print on the Boiler ,side , 5 minute job to remove if desired by the owner.

Is it just me or have the comms from Locomotion Models gone right down hill over the last 18 months or so? This is premium product with Poundshop marketing! 

CoY

It's gone royally down hill since Sandra left imho. I didn't actually know about this box set till I messaged Locomotion the other day referencing the evening box set and they asked what box set have I ordered... I might have ordered this mallard set had I not already ordered the dyno car on its own.

Back to the set, someone above mentioned about gloss paint finish being partly the reason for the extra cost - I asked this question about gloss v matt finish when I was at York show and apparently there is zero cost difference from a manufacturer point of view when selecting what paint finish to go with, which I was surprised about as I thought gloss would have added a marginal price increase but apparently not...

• RMweb Gold

According to their website illustrations the krugerrand version does not  (or is that 'does'?) have the plaque because their website shows two different views of the engine including one with the plaque applied.  So maybe Hornby couldn't make their minds up or they sent the wrong spec to the factory?  However it would appear that a reproduction plaque comes as a separate, much larger, item in the special presentation pack.  I think the only way one can find out exactly what the engine really is like will be to look in the box.  Presumably the gold plated rails are an aid to adhesion or conductivity? :jester:  :angel: 

No doubt the NRM version will not have the plaque.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/lner-a4-class-4-6-2-4468-mallard-era-3-nmsi-2018.html

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

At the risk of being labelled a pedant the OP is incorrect in stating that the dynamometer coach hasn't been modelled before. As well as in kit form it has been offered as a fully finished RTR model by Golden Age. I saw a Golden Age one on EBay few weeks ago and was half tempted.

I think only an A4 can stand the test of time, volume and price. The pinnacle of that is Mallard.

still for 30 notes more you can buy the Dapol A4 with light, smoke and sound still.

I couldn’t believe in 2013 people would pay £2000 for a 6 set of A4’s in BR Green from Bachmann at Locomotion. But blink and i’d Missed it, never seen since.

Back in 1998 I sold a Dwight D Eisenhower Bachmann limited edition for £600.

No matter the price people just buy A4’s.

Yes but will it still be worth or sold for £2000 and I actually find that hard to believe. 

• RMweb Gold

Yes but will it still be worth or sold for £2000 and I actually find that hard to believe.

I thought that about the Great Gathering A4’s.. so far they’ve stood the test of time, longer than I thought.

But yes, some day all trains lose value.

The Bachmann A4 I sold at £600 back at the turn of the century can be yours for circa £100 on ebay now.

Edited by adb968008

Guest spet0114

Except the bl**dy Bachmann C class in the full-fat SECR livery.  That just seems to go up and up..... :(

I thought that about the Great Gathering A4’s.. so far they’ve stood the test of time, longer than I thought.

The Bachmann A4 I sold at £600 back at the turn of the century can be yours for circa £100 on ebay now.

It depends on whether it's a genuine collectable or whether it's something sold to be a collectable.

I doubt any original Bing models are going to be decreasing in value.

Jason

Except the bl**dy Bachmann C class in the full-fat SECR livery.  That just seems to go up and up..... :(

I suspect this is a trend that we are unlikely to see reversed.  I contacted Bachmann a couple of months ago, and they seem to have ruled out re-introducing this livery. The original run was prior to the impact of higher Chinese labour costs, and the livery application produced very high rejection rates. I inferred that to produce the model now would require a far higher price to the consumer.

Of course, both Hornby (H) and Hattons (P) have since released models in the fully-lined Wainwright livery, so one wonders what they got right that Bachmann didn't, but it cannot be a cheap livery to apply, and Bachmann cannot assume sufficient demand on the basis of a handful of highly priced Flea Bay examples.

:offtopic:

• Like 2

I don't suppose there's any chance the record-breaking speed run formation will be completed with the carriages borrowed from one of the streamlined sets?

If only!

My thoughts on the subject here.

I'm not holding my breath though.

I had anticipated something like this set just a few days before it was announced.

• RMweb Gold

It depends on whether it's a genuine collectable or whether it's something sold to be a collectable.

I doubt any original Bing models are going to be decreasing in value.

Jason

Every product has a life cycle.

No model has yet to beat the laws of nature identified by Charles Darwin, it’s just a matter of time.

• 5 months later...

INFORMATION FROM LOCOMOTION MODELS

To celebrate the  80th Anniversary last year, Locomotion Models produced a Limited-Edition twin set to mark this landmark event.

The set comprises;

1938 Condition Hornby Mallard in museum gloss finish

1938 Condition Rapido/Rails Dynamometer Car

The two are produced in a special presentation pack worthy of the record-breaking pair. It is available fromwww.locomotionmodels.com for £369.95 and is available for immediate delivery.

IMG_1052 v1.jpg

IMG_1051 v1.jpg