Egypt

d&h

Its a great book, if you want to know how to grow cotton on a commercial footing.

Mine came from a tiny secondhand bookshop by the level crossing in the centre of Canterbury about forty years ago, at the cost of having no lunch that day, because it used-up the money I'd set aside for that!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Its a great book, if you want to know how to grow cotton on a commercial footing.

Mine came from a tiny secondhand bookshop by the level crossing in the centre of Canterbury about forty years ago, at the cost of having no lunch that day, because it used-up the money I'd set aside for that!

Yes I suspect much of it would still be relevant today. You still see irrigation schemes like this today in the Delta and Fayoum. Manual labour, strip farming and mules are still present too in some places. It's just a shame the trains are now subsidised Toyota Trucks...

The Fayoum is still a great place to visit. Maybe one day someone will build a narrow gauge railway as a tourist attraction. The place still gets a lot of domestic tourism being so close to Cairo. 

Edited by fezza
  • Informative/Useful 2

One final picture showing a huge ginning plant in the background. I would like to find out more about how these railways were financed - I suspect major ginners and traders like Carver Brothers were involved... The ELDR and FLR seem to have been largely British owned by the 1920s. It is also possible that some independent lines also existed. One recent book by a plantation owner talks of Deaucaville lines in the Delta in the 1930s - an odd term given the EDLR seems to have controlled the known Delta lines by then. 

IMG_20200227_192351.jpg

Edited by fezza

• 8 months later...

To revive this thread, I attach a picture of locomotive V5 of the Suez Canal Railway, taken from Locomotive Magazine, February 1904.  The illustration accompanied a short piece describing that the railways was in the process of being converted to standard gauge.

As can be see, the locomotive carries a nameplate affixed to the front section of the boiler barrel.  Unfortunately the name itself is indistinct, but appears to be written in Arabic script (though hard to tell with certainty).

A nameplate from an "unknown locomotive" was recently sold at auction, and which could be similar to that carried to V5 in terms of size, shape and curvature to match a boiler mounting.  That nameplate is in Arabic script and is said to read "Raef Pasha" (or similar).  (Disclaimer: it wasn't me who bought it).

So far, I have been unable to determine the name carried by Suez Canal Railway V5, and whether any of the other six locomotives (two from Corpet Louvet, the rest from SACM) carried names.  All I can tell, is that names (if carried) were more likely added after delivery/entering service as none are recorded in the histories of their builders).  Were they named, and if so, what were those names?

After the gauge conversion, the five SACM locomotives (V1-V5) went transferred to the Egyptian Delta Light Railways, becoming nos. 105-109.  It would be interesting to know whether any names were retained.

329736031_Annotation2020-11-25180342.jpg.4ed074e5f4f3245dbb0e641772fa3383.jpg

• Informative/Useful 2

• 7 months later...

I am building a model of the Bagnall 4-4-0 tank shown in an earlier post. The huge volume on the history of Willuam Bagnall  has two good pictures plus a narrative of how the order was placed, changes to the valve gear, colour of the engines etc.

You might like to know that manufacturers drawings are available for the Bagnall 4-4-0 tank and the Delta 2-6-2 from the Bagnall collection at Stafford Library for a modest fee on line. The NRM also has the drawings for the Western Oases Naysmith Wilson very large 2-8-2 tender engines.

The Birmingham Library Metro Camell collection has about a dozen manufacturers drawings from the Fayoum Light Railway including all the coach types 1st and 3rd class, open wagons, vans, cattlewagons, flat trucks etc.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 01/07/2021 at 18:25, JosephK said:

I am building a model of the Bagnall 4-4-0 tank shown in an earlier post. The huge volume on the history of Willuam Bagnall  has two good pictures plus a narrative of how the order was placed, changes to the valve gear, colour of the engines etc.

You might like to know that manufacturers drawings are available for the Bagnall 4-4-0 tank and the Delta 2-6-2 from the Bagnall collection at Stafford Library for a modest fee on line. The NRM also has the drawings for the Western Oases Naysmith Wilson very large 2-8-2 tender engines.

The Birmingham Library Metro Camell collection has about a dozen manufacturers drawings from the Fayoum Light Railway including all the coach types 1st and 3rd class, open wagons, vans, cattlewagons, flat trucks etc.

I didn't know about the Birmingham material - many thanks indeed!

Well there is a problem in that the Library have made the reprographics staff redundant so the only way to get hold of the drawings is to make an appointment to see the drawing fiches at least 2 weeks in advance. Unless you know someone who lives near Birmingham, it is a day out by train from Euston.

I can post the list of drawings to this discussion if you are interested.

On 19/02/2020 at 10:54, Nearholmer said:

Not, I would say with near-certainty Diesel. If you do know of a Diesel, and there might be one or two possible candidates, somewhat shadowy prototypes that may have been Diesel, I would be almost embarrassingly excited to know

Reading through this thread today, I followed it up with virtual visit to the Egyptian Railways Museum.  There is a diesel loco illustrated at this link https://egyptiangeographic.com/en/news/show/478 . The slides at the bottom of the page have a model claiming to be a diesel (but I have my doubts!).

Kit PW

That museum looks really interesting, but the labelling/captioning is all over the place!

The only small diesel I could see was dated 1962, which seems entirely credible, but some of the other exhibits are wildly misidentified.

• Agree 1

For anybody interested in some Egyptian related oddities, this link to the Tregantle Railway is worth a look.  The railway was equiped with stock from the proposed, but never executed, Khartoum railway: https://saltash.org/south-east-cornwall/tregantle-military-railway.html.  Tregantle is still in use as a military range, the firing coud be heard from my Father's house a mile or two away.

I won't comment further on the Egyptian Railways Museum! Annoyingly, I wasn't able to visit it when we went to Egypt a few years ago (quite a few now) but we did manage a rail journey across the Delta from Cairo to Alexandria.

Kit PW

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/07/2021 at 19:00, Nearholmer said:

That museum looks really interesting, but the labelling/captioning is all over the place!

The only small diesel I could see was dated 1962, which seems entirely credible, but some of the other exhibits are wildly misidentified.

I pointed out some errors to the curator who was very kind and showed me the library room. It is a treasure trove of resources for the ESR, including books of rolling stock drawings.  There isn't much for the Delta lines though. 

There were rumours online that parts of the older paper and book collection disappeared in the refurbishment. There were allegations online that parts were skipped, but it is worth keeping an eye on auction sites... whether the Egyptian police could take action is another matter.

• 6 months later...

I am currently building a 009 layout called Caravanserai, set in Northern Egypt on the bank of the Nile. There is a simple station, typicla adobe houses and a market. Initially it was intended to be terminus to fiddle yard, but I'm currently extending it so the track continues through the station, round a 180 degree curve and goes back to the fiddle yard. Thus, trains can enter the station from two directions. Bogie wagons will be used and traffic includes sugar beet, animal feed and bales of cotton. Steam and IC locos will provide motive power.

52036539858_7b47cceb55_b.jpg.217584c240925ac76fa117534eebc277.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

You might find these pictures I took some years ago useful:

872108345_sugarcane.jpg.a196201de8e73d94787c9d47857f277f.jpg

1385383138_sugarcane2.jpg.e2fe5560bcac71c675d98c4fe7c55fb8.jpg

2129921855_sugarcane3.jpg.cdd261bdff13027c24adcf8226cc9229.jpg

All three on the West bank of Nile opposite Luxor

BTW your buildings look far too neat!

Most Egyptian buildings seem to be only half complete😄

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, melmerby said:

You might find these pictures I took some years ago useful:

872108345_sugarcane.jpg.a196201de8e73d94787c9d47857f277f.jpg

1385383138_sugarcane2.jpg.e2fe5560bcac71c675d98c4fe7c55fb8.jpg

2129921855_sugarcane3.jpg.cdd261bdff13027c24adcf8226cc9229.jpg

All three on the West bank of Nile opposite Luxor

BTW your buildings look far too neat!

Most Egyptian buildings seem to be only half complete😄

Thank you, Keith. They're great photos. I take your point about my buildings being too neat. I will have to see about distressing them!

• RMweb Premium

There are some more of my Egyption photos on my European and rest of the world thread.  One thing that was told to us was that many buildings are left looming unfinished with reinforcing rods sticking out to avoid paying local taxes.

The photos are all on page 4 of my thread if you follow the link in my signature.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

One thing that was told to us was that many buildings are left looming unfinished with reinforcing rods sticking out to avoid paying local taxes.

Jamie

We were also told they are often left in a condition such that another storey can easily be built on, if needed. I suppose that still leaves them classified as unfinished.

There are usually internal stairs up to the unfinished floor.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

One thing that was told to us was that many buildings are left looming unfinished with reinforcing rods sticking out to avoid paying local taxes.

That was, until recently, the case in Greece.

The loophole has now been closed, with the result that towns look someone tidier than hitherto!

CJI.