Egypt

d&h

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

There are some more of my Egyption photos on my European and rest of the world thread. 

Jamie

Just had a look at those.

Some nice shots, brings back memories of many hols in Egypt. Quite a few not with a package tour.

I notice you saying that your coaches were topped and tailed by armed guards.

Times were less hostile when we went and were able to get around on our own quite safely.

We had lunch in a cafe in Asyut once, wouldn't go near the place now due to Islamic fundamentalism.

We've even travelled on our own on a day train from Luxor to Cairo.

We were "Tomb Raiders" and as such, unfortunately, I didn't take many photos of railways, (there wouldn't have been a problem at that time if i had wanted to).

I've hundreds of pictures of tombs & temples if anyone's interested😄

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, melmerby said:

We were also told they are often left in a condition such that another storey can easily be built on, if needed. I suppose that still leaves them classified as unfinished.

There are usually internal stairs up to the unfinished floor.

I have a vague memory that a second storey was a sign that the owner had done the Haj pilgimage to Mecca.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

I have a vague memory that a second storey was a sign that the owner had done the Haj pilgimage to Mecca.

Jamie

Some (slightly better) houses have rather nice murals on the side depicting their Haj

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I decided that I would extend Caravanserai so I could have a loop of track, returning behind the palms to the fiddle yard. In this way, longer trains could enter the station from both directions. But, this would leave a new area to be landscaped. Then I had a thought, perhaps I could model a ruin. After a long search on the internet I found someone on eBay offering Egyptian ruins for war games. So I bid and won some very nice plaster castings. Now I can build my own version of Karnak. the piece are just randomly placed for now, but I think the idea is going to work.

IMG_9188.JPG

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Request for help.

Having spotted a similarity between a commercial chassis and a Bagnall 4-4-0 supplied to the Egyptian Delta Railways I wonder if anyone can point me to more information in particular photos. I suspect it may have been discussed above but the links don't work.

What i have so far is this photo & its the front loco that is of interest.

Egyptian_Delta_Railways_-_From_the_left_4-4-0T_No._33by_Bagnall_1605-1900_0-6-4T_No._89_Nasmyth_Wilson_713-1905_and_2-6-2T_No._4_Bagnall_2025-1916.jpg

The Plateway Press Bagnall book has this illustration

Egypt-Loco-201x300.jpg

And i was sent this GA from a source not known to me

Egyptian-Delta-4-4-0-300x225.jpg

I probably have enough to make a start but a few more photos would really help. A comment above suggests they were modified a lot in service and a few photos might show how.

I wonder if anyone with more Bagnall info, knows more about Egyptian Delta Railways or is just better at Google than us can point us at more photos

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/07/2022 at 15:08, ngtrains.com said:

Request for help.

Having spotted a similarity between a commercial chassis and a Bagnall 4-4-0 supplied to the Egyptian Delta Railways I wonder if anyone can point me to more information in particular photos. I suspect it may have been discussed above but the links don't work.

What i have so far is this photo & its the front loco that is of interest.

Egyptian_Delta_Railways_-_From_the_left_4-4-0T_No._33by_Bagnall_1605-1900_0-6-4T_No._89_Nasmyth_Wilson_713-1905_and_2-6-2T_No._4_Bagnall_2025-1916.jpg

Perhaps the attached table of dimensions, from Wiener's book on the railways of Egypt, would be of help.

Wiener 521.jpg

On 14/05/2022 at 14:35, Boghopper said:

I decided that I would extend Caravanserai so I could have a loop of track, returning behind the palms to the fiddle yard. In this way, longer trains could enter the station from both directions. But, this would leave a new area to be landscaped. Then I had a thought, perhaps I could model a ruin. After a long search on the internet I found someone on eBay offering Egyptian ruins for war games. So I bid and won some very nice plaster castings. Now I can build my own version of Karnak. the piece are just randomly placed for now, but I think the idea is going to work.

IMG_9188.JPG

Great work - I am tempted to build something based off the Delta lines.

Decauville locos were used on private lines so you could make use of the Roco RTR version.  Baldwins also appeared in Egypt during The Great War.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

After watching a most interesting documentary about Abu Simbel I started thinking about Caravanserai and where it could be set. I wanted an area that would provide believable initial letters for the company logo, and I decided on LOWER NILE RAILWAY. I started looking at the possibility of adapting LNER but failed to find suitable transfers. So, using 'paint' I've mocked up a logo for the balcony coach. Perhaps the letters are a tad too large, but it will be easy enough to reduce the size.

IMG_2387.JPG.e8046abe595437c81cf1e63fc9c2f3b4.JPG

IMG_2391.JPG.bb7fd1a22e4f5e05a25db4e770da84b1.JPG

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

A recent visit to Cairo revealed that Egyptian railways are now charging tourists a different fare to Egyptian nationals. The first class Alex - Cairo return fare, previously less than nine dollars for everyone, is now fifty dollars for foreigners! Foreigners cannot book online and have to ask tourist police at the station entrance to arrange tickets - I was taken to an upstairs office. I first thought it was a scam, but it is apparently now official policy.

I can't make out whether this is a desperate attempt to obtain foreign currency (the Egyptian currency has collapsed in value) or an attempt to discourage foreigners from travelling by rail. There have been a number of YouTube videos taking the Mick out of the parlous state of Egyptian railways, so it might be the latter ... Some have told me it is particularly difficult to get tickets to some provincial destinations. Anyone else had problems?

I did think about getting local Egyptian friends to book tickets but the grippers  challenge anyone who looks foreign... (you get the same ticket if you are a foreigner, but you also get a handwritten supplement in Arabic, confirming you have paid the tourist supplement). Barriers are now installed in both Cairo and Alex so you can't just get on either ...

Egypt keeps saying it wants a tourist revival but it is not making it easy for tourist rail travel. Very cheap fares and simple booking was one of the great pleasures of budget travelling around Egypt 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 minutes ago, fezza said:

A recent visit to Cairo revealed that Egyptian railways are now charging tourists a different fare to Egyptian nationals. The first class Alex - Cairo return fare, previously less than nine dollars for everyone, is now fifty dollars for foreigners! Foreigners cannot book online and have to ask tourist police at the station entrance to arrange tickets - I was taken to an upstairs office. I first thought it was a scam, but it is apparently now official policy.

Sounds like a pyramid selling scheme !!

Brit15

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1