Dapol Class 08 - Paul Chetter and Sound/Zimo - Questions?

Foxley

• RMweb Premium

Dabbling my feet in sound again, I find myself with a few questions regarding fitting sound to a Dapol Class 08 - hopefully the collective community here can help!

I have seen numerous posts and some videos on how fantastic Paul Chetter's sound is, specifically DigiDrive? and there being two Class 08 versions from Paul Chetter?

I've also read that these can be got from DigiTrains and that a Zimo chip is probably the best for this.

This being information I have read from various google searches and topics on here. Does anyone have this set up and could tell me what exactly is required?

So I'm guessing I need a Zimo DCC Sound chip, with Paul's sounds putting on, and a speaker. Is this a 'set' one buys? Is it plug and play? Happy to solder if need be. I'm guessing speaker size is an issue for Dapol's 08 as well. I'd also like to figure out rough cost.

If anyone could give me some advice, that would be fantastic.

Thank you

Edited by Mic

Mic,

As has been mentioned,it`s a doddle to fit the 08 with sound,in fact it took me longer to build my speaker enclosure than it did to fit the chip!.

Anyhow i have used these speakers in the link below (others avalible) in three 08`s now and have found the sound to be excellent.

(If you scroll to the bottom of the page you`ll find a data sheet for the speaker also)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Miniature-Rectangular-Speaker/301513426210?_trkparms=ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140728113935%26meid%3D1876d22967fe4d5eafd82a37aea30647%26pid%3D100148%26%26itm%3D301513426210&_trksid=p2059210.c100148.m2813

post-19751-0-62721800-1530787866_thumb.jpg

As i`ve said,i made my own enclosure out of plasticard which came out at 32mm W x 43mm H x 30mm D,this size proved to be a nice snugg fit!.

As for the speaker concetions i had some m/f plugs on hand and so that`s what used,very simple,just solder the two legg`s in the holes provided.

post-19751-0-19337400-1530789022_thumb.jpg

Final arrangement.

Hope this help`s,

Brian.

I have a slightly different approach to the speaker than Tove.

I thought Tove's speaker set up was a great sound. I remember the video he put up of it and I was very impressed.

I on the other hand use one of my own 32mm round speakers in a custom enclosure that I fabricate myself out of acrylic. The speaker is hard wired (soldered) to the PCB where Tove has a plug.

I use the same MX645 that Tove uses, with the Paul Chetter 'Active Drive' with 'Speed Lock' which I believe is on version 2. 

Here is a video showing one of the many Dapol 08's that I've completed for customers with the Active Drive and Speed Lock.

As stated above, Jeremy at Digitrains is very helpful

Jinty ;)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Mic,

As has been mentioned,it`s a doddle to fit the 08 with sound,in fact it took me longer to build my speaker enclosure than it did to fit the chip!.

Anyhow i have used these speakers in the link below (others avalible) in three 08`s now and have found the sound to be excellent.

(If you scroll to the bottom of the page you`ll find a data sheet for the speaker also)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Miniature-Rectangular-Speaker/301513426210?_trkparms=ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140728113935%26meid%3D1876d22967fe4d5eafd82a37aea30647%26pid%3D100148%26%26itm%3D301513426210&_trksid=p2059210.c100148.m2813

attachicon.gifSpeaker enclosure.jpg

As i`ve said,i made my own enclosure out of plasticard which came out at 32mm W x 43mm H x 30mm D,this size proved to be a nice snugg fit!.

As for the speaker concetions i had some m/f plugs on hand and so that`s what used,very simple,just solder the two legg`s in the holes provided.

attachicon.gif08 with my custom speaker enclosure.jpg

Final arrangement.

Hope this help`s,

Brian.

Thank you all for the replies - I have sent a list of questions over to Digitrains in the interim before you replies

• Is the Zimo MX644D the best sound chip for Dapol’s Class 08
  • Will the Zimo MX644D allow all the functions to work on Dapol’s Class 08
  • Does the Zimo chip plug straight in?
  • Does a speaker plug straight in to the Zimo chip?
  • How do I get Paul Chetter’s sound file (version 1 or 2) for the Class 08 and is it DigiDrive?
  • Will it work with my DCS2044 controller regarding the 127/128 speed step being better suited for DigiDrive.

Tove, those are some great picture examples, thank you. And the link to the Ebay speaker! (Thumbs up)

Is it completely plug and play? Your chip (Is it the MX644D?) looks slightly different than the page for it on DigiTrains, longer perhaps and with a socket for the speaker?

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

I have a slightly different approach to the speaker than Tove.

I thought Tove's speaker set up was a great sound. I remember the video he put up of it and I was very impressed.

I on the other hand use one of my own 32mm round speakers in a custom enclosure that I fabricate myself out of acrylic. The speaker is hard wired (soldered) to the PCB where Tove has a plug.

I use the same MX645 that Tove uses, with the Paul Chetter 'Active Drive' with 'Speed Lock' which I believe is on version 2. 

Here is a video showing one of the many Dapol 08's that I've completed for customers with the Active Drive and Speed Lock.

As stated above, Jeremy at Digitrains is very helpful

Jinty ;)

Thanks for the reply Jinytman - it seems I may have made a mistake then thinking the decoder to go for was the Zimo MX644D - you've mentioned that it's the MX645 - I shall do some more research!

It also seems that while I was looking at 'Digidrive' - 'Activedrive' is the better one.

I did get a reply from Jeremy at Digitrains, who has suggested:

Zimo MX644D with ZS08AD active drive and a LS50x15x14 speaker (Two wire's will need to be soldered) but it includes an enclosure already built. There was no mention of this having Paul Chetter's sound though.

I'm curious why you both decided to use the MX645 over the MX644?

Thank you

Edited by Mic

Hi Mic,

I think you’ll find that Jeremy’s quoted price for ANY Zimo decoder, always includes a soundfile of your choice, from their vast selection.

I can report that the Dapol 08 in 0 gauge with Paul’s masterly work is just awesome!

I was in Digitrains’ shop a while ago, having a chat and some tweaking by said God of sounds, Mr Chetter, and of course he was delighting all and sundry with an impromptu demo of the Dapol.

Just a pity I only do 00 gauge, but hey, all of mine (27 at the last count!) are Zimo equipped and I am a proud to say Jeremy and Paul are top of my list for help and advice, and long may it continue.

Regards,

Alan.

Is it completely plug and play? Your chip (Is it the MX644D?) looks slightly different than the page for it on DigiTrains, longer perhaps and with a socket for the speaker?

Thanks

Hi Mic,

Contray to what Jint`s has said, (sorry jint`s!) the dceoder i used was the MX644D with the ZS08AD active drive system,so it should be the same as the one pictured on the Digitrains site.

I also probably should have clearly marked the decoder in the picture as well.

post-19751-0-50270700-1530804576_thumb.jpg

When you open the top of the 08,you`ll see a small 'blanking plug' on top of the main board,this is taken out the decoder simply replaces it.

post-19751-0-31494900-1530805632_thumb.jpg

Helpfully Digitrains mark the top side of the decoder for you so you don`t damage it when installing it.

Then it`s a case of either soldering your wires or using a plug, to the main board for what speaker you`ve gone with.

Brian.

• Like 1

Hi Mic,

Contray to what Jint`s has said, (sorry jint`s!) the dceoder i used was the MX644D with the ZS08AD active drive system,so it should be the same as the one pictured on the Digitrains site.

Quite Tove,

Fat fingers, it is the MX644 as Digitrains advised. It's what I meant to type, honest :(

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

I have also got an 08 with the active drive, I cannot fault it and this was my first go at DCC and sound. The only thing I would say is that I found it difficult to remember what button represented which sound, this was a problem until I went for http://www.touchcab.com/. I found this app so user friendly, the buttons have various pictures like horn, brakes, lights, door shutting and opening etc, etc. And all from my iPhone or iPad, so no wires all controlled using wifi. You would still need a interface by lenz and an LZV100 control unit and also a cheap router. If you do not have an iPhone, you can use an old iPod which you can pick up quite cheap nowadays.

Martyn.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you all for the fantastic responses, so unless anyone else chips in (Pardon the pun) by tomorrow morning with another suggestion, I think the MX644D with the ZS08AD will be the one!

Any opinions on whether Paul Chetter's v1 or v2 Class 08 is better? I do intend to get another 08 sometime in the future and will have both eventually so they sound different. Currently the 08 I have is BR Green late crest. (Or will have, Rails of Sheffield unfortunately sent a damaged one! :( )

On another note, have people gone with single speakers or smaller dual speakers?

Any opinions on whether Paul Chetter's v1 or v2 Class 08 is better? I do intend to get another 08 sometime in the future and will have both eventually so they sound different. Currently the 08 I have is BR Green late crest. (Or will have, Rails of Sheffield unfortunately sent a damaged one! :( )

On another note, have people gone with single speakers or smaller dual speakers?

I `ve got a v2 in my current 08, (BR green late crest) but have had the v1 also in previous blue 08`s,(though not at the same time) and but to be honest i can`t tell the difference.Now if they were together it might be a different story,so as your planning on a couple then i would`nt worry too much and buy one of each.They are after all the same price!.

For speakers it`s a personal choice,ie;i might not hear what you can and vise versa.

Case in point; i`ve had a 'few' O gauge diesels pass through my hands and when i`ve fitted them with Howes sounds i`ve been bitterly dissapointed.Not because there bad,far from it,they`ve got many happy customers and they do sound good,it `s because i could make out a 'white noise' in the background sound`s.

Now having said that my friend`s could`nt,so i change speakers but even then i could still hear it!.

So really it`s a personal choice,and to be honest most speakers are that cheap now you can change them out if you don`t like what you hear anyway!.

As for one or two,my preference is for one good decent sized bassy speaker if space allow`s.

Of course in the larger diesel`s you can get away with two big`ins for extra thump!

Hope this has helped a little ,but it`s probably made no sence at all....... :crazy:

Brian.

I have Pauls Chip in my 08's, and Jintymans Speakers and it's awesome. It took me longer to get the top off the body, than it did to fit and code the chip.

All Lights / Functions work as they should, and control is superb.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

I would echo the praise.  I fitted the chip from Paul in a few minutes.  In the 1980's as a Yard Supervisor at Dover we had 2 shunting the Ferry Yard, plus tripping to and from the Town Yard.  Plus the Town Yard had its own pilot.  The sound is perfect and the brake function lets me really drive it.  Big thanks to Paul.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the fantastic responses, so unless anyone else chips in (Pardon the pun) by tomorrow morning with another suggestion, I think the MX644D with the ZS08AD will be the one!

MIC

The Dapol 08 was designed specifically for the ZIMO MX644D. Other 21 MTC decoders will require a degree of rewiring to operate the lamps correctly.

The User Notes (which accompany all my sound projects) covers both variants of Class 08. If you read this through, you will get an idea of the differences between the variants.

These are posted on Digitrains website for reference:

http://digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/search/zs08asl-class-08-activedrive-sl.aspx

They were each created from recordings of different real Class 08 locos, so although each sounds like an 08, it's obvious whith two together, that they are different enough. Thats why I created the two variants.

Apart from the engine sounds, the major difference is in the way the traction motor sounds play. With V1 it is triggered by the way you use the throttle, V2 it is proprtional to the road speed.

There are in fact 2 further versions, ActiveDrive SL (this has the Speed Lock feature added) and the ProtoDrive (which has both Speed Lock and radio controlled shunting, driver and shunter radio conversations).

I note that the ProtoDrive version is not yet advertised on the website, you will need to ask for it specifically. However, radio controlled shunting is not appropriate for the era of green diesels - it was done with flags and whistles (and choice vocabulary) in those days. LOL

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic, thank you Paul, very informative. You mentioned that the "ProtoDrive" version is not yet advertised. Since I wish to get two 08's, does your ProtoDrive version use sounds from V1 or V2, just so that I can get opposing sound files for different sounding 08's.

Also, do you have a preferred speaker for your specific sound? I imagine you tested a considerable amount.

Thank you

Fantastic, thank you Paul, very informative. You mentioned that the "ProtoDrive" version is not yet advertised. Since I wish to get two 08's, does your ProtoDrive version use sounds from V1 or V2, just so that I can get opposing sound files for different sounding 08's.

Also, do you have a preferred speaker for your specific sound? I imagine you tested a considerable amount.

Thank you

There are ProtoDrive versions of both variations.

A wide range of speakers work really well in this model, except the one supplied by Dapol in their sound fitted offering. Choose any of those described above and you will not be disappointed.

I use ZIMO 3D twin speaker enclosures with Dumbo speaker drivers, but this is a personal choice.

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Paul and everyone else for your kind guidance on ensuring I get exactly what I would like.

I have gone with:

1x MX644D 21 PIN ZIMO SOUND DECODER 30x15x4MM

1x LS40X22X09 TWIN SPEAKERS 4OHM

With Paul Chetter’s ProtoDrive V1 Class 08 Sound file

So I shall look forward to getting both the decoder and the 08!

Exciting times.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...