Dapol Class 08 - Paul Chetter and Sound/Zimo - Questions?

Foxley

Well today I fitted the Zimo chip with Paul's sound file and the twin speaker as shown above. A couple of observations. When activating either of the horns there is what I can best describe as an almost percussive quality at the very start of the 'toot'. I don't know if this is the sound file or the speaker. Also, when running with flange squeal, when I turn it off, immediately prior to to it stopping the sound almost sounds like a micro-second of radio chatter. That is the best way I can describe it. Has anyone else had similar observations? 

Further to my previous post, I found that turning the master volume down from the default (which I think is 64) down to 20, made a big difference, and is plenty loud enough. I'm not able to run this loco in at the moment, in fact I have about 18" of track! At present, with clean track and wheels, it is starting to move at speed step 8 with my Powercab, after I altered the start voltage to 4. Hopefully, when it is run in, I can reduce that.  Any observations welcome.

PS It sounds lovely!

6 hours ago, Steve Williams said:

Further to my previous post, I found that turning the master volume down from the default (which I think is 64) down to 20, made a big difference, and is plenty loud enough. I'm not able to run this loco in at the moment, in fact I have about 18" of track! At present, with clean track and wheels, it is starting to move at speed step 8 with my Powercab, after I altered the start voltage to 4. Hopefully, when it is run in, I can reduce that.  Any observations welcome.

PS It sounds lovely!

I discovered and highlighted a couple of issues for which I have to return my chips for a reblow.

flange squeal and buffer clash is meant to be speed related, but wasn’t.

they have updated their files, but the only way to rectify the problem is to reblow it. Unfortunately I am in Australia, so my 09 will be out of service for nearly a month

• 3 weeks later...

Received my re-blown Zimo chip with the updated Paul Chetter file, from Digitrains. Now all working well. I ordered a second decoder with the same ) sound file uploaded. They arrived with an updated instruction sheet. The flange squeal is much better. A question however, for anyone in the know. For my second installation, I want to change the default air whistle to the later fitted air horn. The accompanying notes indicate that the appropriate CVs are 519 and 522, which correspond to F3 & F4 respectively (single toot and double toot). I can't find anywhere in these notes what the new value should be for each of these CVs. Neither can I find information in the decoder manual. Can anyone enlighten me please?

2 hours ago, Steve Williams said:

Received my re-blown Zimo chip with the updated Paul Chetter file, from Digitrains. Now all working well. I ordered a second decoder with the same ) sound file uploaded. They arrived with an updated instruction sheet. The flange squeal is much better. A question however, for anyone in the know. For my second installation, I want to change the default air whistle to the later fitted air horn. The accompanying notes indicate that the appropriate CVs are 519 and 522, which correspond to F3 & F4 respectively (single toot and double toot). I can't find anywhere in these notes what the new value should be for each of these CVs. Neither can I find information in the decoder manual. Can anyone enlighten me please?

I suggest a quick call to Digitrains

14 hours ago, Steve Williams said:

Steve,

Here's an extract of my Class 08 User Notes about changing to alternative sounds:

Alternative Sounds

To add to your long term enjoyment of this sound project, there are a number of alternative sounds included on your ProtoDrive equipped decoder which are not assigned by default to any F key. (There are only 29 keys available).

The default sounds are shown in the Functions List below.

This is how to use the alternative sounds. In Functions List Sound ID column, find the CV corresponding to the F key you wish to use. Put the ID of the sound you require as the value of that CV.

e.g. to change the default Wooden Doors (ID 28) sound to Metal Doors (ID 23), make CV564 = 23, and vice versa to change back again.

Default                                                                         Alternative

Whistle, ID 18                                                                  Air Horn Toot, ID 17

Whistle Toot Toot, ID 19                                                Air Horn Acknowledgement, ID 16                     

Wooden Cab Doors, ID 27                                             Metal Cab Doors, ID 22
Air Release 1, ID 42                                                         Air release 2, ID 20

You may need to adjust the volume of the replacement sound, use the appropriate CV shown in the Functions List.

If you get mixed up, don’t panic. CV8 = 8 reset will restore all defaults (including loco address) but will preserve all sounds.

So, to change the default Whistle on F3 to Air Horn Toot, change CV519 (always used to change the sound assigned to F3) from default 18 to 17.

Similarly, for F4 use CV522 and the respective value from the list above. (Use the ID number, digits only).

A note of caution, however. If the sound project has been amended since these notes were prepared (eg speed related flange squeal added) the sound IDs might also be changed. i.e. the IDs may be out of date.

If the above does not get the correct sounds, come back to me and I'll investigate further.

Best regards,

Paul

Thank you Paul.  The user notes I have are V18.12 and the info you provided above does correspond with the notes I have. What was confusing me was the term 'ID', as I wasn't sure if that was referring to the CV value or something else. May be worth considering  using 'CV value' in brackets after 'ID' for idiots like me!  :-) . I do have the most up to date sound file as it was supplied by Digitrains only a couple of weeks ago and does have the speed related flange squeal.

Have just had a play with the two CVs concerned (519 & 522).

Entering a value of 17 into CV519 results, not in an audible warning device but, what I can best describe as a slightly more aggressive brake squeal. Rather like it's making an emergency stop!

Entering a value of 16 into CV522 again, results not in an audible warning device, but a sound which is a bit like someone shouting 'Oy!'

It would seem, therefore, that the latest iteration of the sound file has effected changes to the values of those two CVs.

Regards

Steve

5 hours ago, pauliebanger said:

OK, it should be CV519 = 15 and CV 522 = 16, in your version.

The acknowledgement horn (value 16) is a very short toot. There are no recordings of anyone shouting 'Oy' on this decoder.

Paul

That's excellent, thank you Paul.  I'm presuming that once CV 519 is changed to 15, although CV522 is still changed to 16 (as before), its effect is simply to repeat the altered sound of CV519? 

I rather liked the idea of someone shouting 'Oy',  it would be reminiscent of 'bunking' sheds in the 60s!   :-)

UPDATE: Changed CV519 to 15 and that has changed the whistle to horn. However, Changing CV 522 to a value of 16 is still giving me a single 'toot' rather than a double one..

Edited by Steve Williams

15 hours ago, Steve Williams said:

UPDATE: Changed CV519 to 15 and that has changed the whistle to horn. However, Changing CV 522 to a value of 16 is still giving me a single 'toot' rather than a double one..

Then press the horn twice. I have to at work if I want 2 toots

2 hours ago, 47606odin said:

Then press the horn twice. I have to at work if I want 2 toots

This would seem to be the case Ian. If I am understanding things correctly, when changing the F4 value (CV522) from Whistle (value 19) to Air Horn (value 16), the practical result is that instead of continuing to get a 'double-toot', albeit with a horn rather than a whistle, it changes to a short 'single-toot' Air Horn Acknowledgment. I was under the, clearly wrong, assumption, that the 'double-toot' facility remained constant with F4, irrespective of which of the two values were entered

I shall know all these damn CVs off by heart before long :-)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm very new to the world of DCC and have been experimenting with my 08 which has Paul's sound file loaded (via DigiTrains).

I have found by trial and error that the values for air horn and acknowledge are 16 and 17 respectively so that seems to be another different combination.  I appreciate that, as the files are fine tuned, enhanced etc things can change and (possibly?) move around but is there:

a) a CV or CVs that records the version of the sound file and

b) a definitive source of the appropriate CV values for each function of that particular sound file once it's been identified?   

I have version V17.07 of the notes but they doesn't let on as to what the CV values need to be to access the alternative sounds - it could be rather tedious finding out each sound vale by trial and error!   My version of the notes appear to be rather old, I'm not even certain where I got them from (supplied with the decoder maybe?)

Any assistance gratefully received!

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alan,

Somebody will no doubt be along with the info you need but if all else fails drop a PM to Paul Chetter ( @pauliebanger ) on here and I am sure he'll offer you advice. Paul is one of the most approachable and helpful chaps around.  

I recall something about CV values on a previous thread but cannot find it at this time.

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
spelling
  • Like 1