Lowmac carrying a container in 1968

I've found another image showing the Lowmac 'Conflat ISO' in use in Manchester docks on the MSC Railway, in 1970:

webmedia.php?irn=69681&reftable=ecatalog

Next challenge is to identify the containers on them!

This is also from 1970, view in the opposite direction and shows a variety of early Manchester Liners containers plus a few others:

webmedia.php?irn=69673&reftable=ecatalog

Perhaps straying a little off-topic, the Manchester Liners ships had their stores loaded by container too, into some special cells accessible from the crew accommodation. Here are some of the stores containers:

webmedia.php?irn=69675&reftable=ecatalog

• Like 3

Since the links I posted a few days ago seem to have died entirely (I can't even get back to those pages myself now), here's a crop of the image showing at least three Conflat ISO wagons on 9 dock at Manchester in 1970. They all appear to be loaded with open-top containers, which are fairly unusual. Note also the traditional 5-plank wagon on the left - several early photos of the container terminal show odd open wagons among the containers - I'm not sure why.

conflat_ISO_9-dock_cropped.jpg

Incidentally my little MSC intermodal train is definitely going to have at least two wagons, but maybe 3 or 4.

One wagon will be a BR 'Conflat ISO' and another will be an MSC internal container flat - a cut-down twin bolster.

I have desires for more than two containers; so I could either swap them or make more wagons.

The photo I have of an MSC flat in use shows a CTI ribbed container which I am going to model:

CTI_Manchester_1969-09-14.jpg.179392aad7760375b83e999886e6ca48.jpg

I also have a photo of two 'Conflat ISO' with 'Manchester Liners' smooth-sided containers which I will make one of - they're a classic.

container_flats_zoom.jpg.a616945688006e6fa1123e58162ad6e9.jpg

mlh130041.jpg.a4a74b840cc87fbff2475b16e7e1e924.jpg

Then, the photo in the previous post shows some open-top containers and if I can get hold of a better copy of the image (I'm trying...) then it would be interesting to model one of those as they were more common in the early days.

Finally, my name is Mol so how could I have a container train without a MOL container? These are OK for timescales (introduced late 1960s) but perhaps not geographically - but I can overlook that for the purposes of having one of my own containers on the train. This is probably the type I'd go for and Microscale do decals for them so the classic alligator is a relatively easy win:

molu2615291.jpg.d6c9319851856f713303eaa2baeecc35.jpg

Question: The smooth-sided containers (ML and MOL) are festooned with small rivets. In 7mm scale, these give me a dilemma. In smaller scales I'd ignore them as too small to represent. But if I try to include them on the model in 7mm scale I fear they would look too heavy. A possibility would be to use some of the finer Archer rivet decals which may be more subtle. My gut feel is that from typical model viewing distance, they would be invisible in reality and it's easier/better to neglect them. You have to look really closely at the two photos above to spot them. Any thoughts?

• Like 3

Until you mentioned the rivets, I hadn't noticed them. Maybe just add the lines of rivets (and panel jojns?) on as part of the paint process if you feel they're conspicuous by their absence when you make the model?

• Like 1

The links above seem to have come back to life, happily. And here's another view I've found of the Conflat ISO wagons on 9 dock in 1970. Look above the small vessels toward the right hand side of the image:

webmedia.php?irn=69684&reftable=ecatalog

Another interesting view is this one on No8 Pier, also in 1970. This area was used for unloading containers from general cargo vessels, mostly acting as feeders to the main transatlantic service. The 4-wheel wagons visible under the crane here are the MSC Railway internal container flats, cut down from twin bolsters. They would take containers to/from factories in Trafford Park, or around to the main terminal on 9 dock.

craning-containers_1970.jpg

Here is a 1968 map showing the container faciliites at Manchester docks:

Manchester_Map.jpg.50225c3e3b74e9045481b40778a88672.jpg

And this 1979 photo nicely shows the main container terminal on 9 dock, and two MSC container wagons on the nearer 8 pier:

79-SALFORD%2520DOCKS-Container%2520Base-

• Like 4