HELJAN UNVEILS ‘OO’ GAUGE 25/3 AND ‘ETHEL’ FOR 2019

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

D7568-7597, 10 from Derby Works, 20 from Darlington Works.

So I missed 10.Not too bad for memory not looking it up in a book.

As I have said I have modeled all three body types over the years.

Edit. It seems odd that I said that I would have a go at modelling the Second Body Style on this a modelling forum and have people pick holes in what I said. Let's all wait for the Heljan model then tell them where they went wrong.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

I do like a class 25 so looking forwards to seeing these when they come out. Though And I know they have their faults I wont be getting rid of my Bachmann models.

There are plenty of pics of 25912 on flickr but this one of mine might be of use Ben.

Something worth noting is one side step is plated over the other two where either never plated over of have had the plate removed. 

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-78204600-1531398466_thumb.jpg

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 4

Interesting the different cab ends of 25912 there, one has headboard clips and a central lamp bracket, the other does not.

As posted earlier, she has had at least one cab changed

• RMweb Premium

As posted earlier, she has had at least one cab changed

Didn’t Derby Works regularly change the cabs during overhaul if there was damage or corrosion to repair that would have otherwise delayed the loco’s return to traffic?

Didn’t Derby Works regularly change the cabs during overhaul if there was damage or corrosion to repair that would have otherwise delayed the loco’s return to traffic?

I think it was pretty common practice as cabs were detachable.

BR Blue (Domino headcode) + Ethel in Blue-Grey ordered.

I think these will be superb and a great addition to the fleet.

That will be two train-heating units now.

May not be prototypical but the ETHEL ADB97250 will likely sit next to (on my layout) the Class 15

ADB968000.

I always wondered why TOPS switched from ADB+6 digit number to ADB+5 digit numbers?

Anyway, very much looking forward to these releases!

• RMweb Gold
On 16/07/2018 at 11:02, 25901 said:

Wonder if they will do a weathered and well beaten up one

Thats ex-works compared to a few months earlier..

There’s nothing like a dirty wet rat.., seen coming out of the drain pipe at Bury.

(not sure if I recognise a few people in that picture;-)

But when it comes to rats, two are always better than one

Of course there's always Rat Sandwich...

Then there's always the possibility to model this combo ? (Ratatouille?)

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

Feel very old now, interesting the 504 combo ( :jester: ) but a nightmare to remove all the wiring afterwards., just after that me and Chris took over the 25. My heads properly one of those's in the pictures

Anyway lets get back on topic, must start saving up for a few

Edited by 25901

• RMweb Gold

BR Blue (Domino headcode) + Ethel in Blue-Grey ordered.

I think these will be superb and a great addition to the fleet.

That will be two train-heating units now.

May not be prototypical but the ETHEL ADB97250 will likely sit next to (on my layout) the Class 15

ADB968000.

I always wondered why TOPS switched from ADB+6 digit number to ADB+5 digit numbers?

Anyway, very much looking forward to these releases!

ADB Regional Mechanical and Electrical Engineer;

DB Regional Civil Engineer;

RDB Research Department;

TDB Traffic Department.

Under these codes they were rolling stock, not classed as locomotives, and non-revenue.

Class 97 was for locomotives in departmental use (locos being 5 digit numbers), and are self propelled, again for non-revenue purposes so 97 indicates to TOPS planners not to schedule them for service trains.

I think it was a compromise numbering, they weren’t locomotives, but they weren’t rollingstock, they weren’t non-revenue but they weren’t supposed to go off region either.

The class 25 Ethel’s seem to have been classed as self propelled, presumably as they were actually revenue generating roles, and related servicing / exam schedules and acted as an extension of a locomotive so not strictly departmental. But in their original role (WHL heating) they would be limited to area, so ADB would be appropriate, but they technically were locomotives still, just without traction, unlike earlier ADB units such as 24142/24054/D8233/D8243 which were static roles, but Ethel’s were assigned to revenue passenger trains.

The crucial difference with that above was ETH... requiring fuel, generator and mobility, the others were static steam heat warmers.

They could have made Ethel’s 25/9’s (the real 25/9’s didn’t come till much later) but there was risk they could be assigned to traffic duties.

should really be TDB ? they were for traffic purposes really ?, but similarly too the class 15/24’s used as static carriage warmers were classed ADB but they did move off region. D5705 I think was a TDB, though I would have thought it initial purpose would actually be an RDB, as it was used on the Tribology test train.

It would be interesting to see a TOPs printout for Ethel workings, but i’d Guess they’d show as a locomotive, double headed working on a sleeper service, with associated engine hours and exams but the 97 class was a system operator flag not to schedule them on other revenue workings, the ADB again was a flag which assigned them to Scottish region.

It’s worth noting RDB968007 and ADB968020 were renumbered to 97201/97801 as they were self propelled.

I understand there were union issues around class 97 locomotive crewing assignments, possibly with class 47’s as 97’s.. it would seem the class 97 code didn’t always prevent revenue service use...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/97545_BHI_1989.jpg

Edited by adb968008

I was really quite surprised by this announcement, but given Heljan have the artwork from the 7mm version, probably shouldn't be.

As others have mentioned getting the shape and look right will be key, I sincerely hope it is spot on and does well for them.

Bachmann and Hornby have neglected their 25s for some time now and I would welcome a genuine alternative to save me lots of cutting and shutting.

Fingers crossed!

Barry

• Like 1

I was really quite surprised by this announcement, but given Heljan have the artwork from the 7mm version, probably shouldn't be.

As others have mentioned getting the shape and look right will be key, I sincerely hope it is spot on and does well for them.

Bachmann and Hornby have neglected their 25s for some time now and I would welcome a genuine alternative to save me lots of cutting and shutting.

Fingers crossed!

Barry

Bachmann announced all-new 25s this year.

Yes they did, but when they will be on the shelves to buy is anyone's guess. Please remember we're still waiting for the 24(1) announced in 2014 which is going to be released in 2019.

I would put money on it that the Heljan 25 will be in the shops long before the Bachmann version.

Yes they did, but when they will be on the shelves to buy is anyone's guess. Please remember we're still waiting for the 24(1) announced in 2014 which is going to be released in 2019.

I would put money on it that the Heljan 25 will be in the shops long before the Bachmann version.

I've been eagerly awaiting the 24/1 as well. I'm still surprised at just how long it has taken thus far. Admittedly, I think they announced it very early into the project, and Heljan may be a fair way down the line with the 25/3 already. I also agree that its fairly likely that the Heljan 25/3 will hit the shelves first, even before the Bachmann 24/1.

I'm surprised none of them (including, correct me if i'm wrong, SLW) are doing a 25/0?

Paul. 

I'm surprised none of them (including, correct me if i'm wrong, SLW) are doing a 25/0?

The thing is we don't know what SLW are doing until they are in stock ready to buy! 

Fingers crossed!

Barry

Part of the concern about how good a 00 one might be lies in the concerns expressed in another thread in this forum about the questionable shape of the 0 gauge 25/3 front, ie too flat.

Part of the concern about how good a 00 one might be lies in the concerns expressed in another thread in this forum about the questionable shape of the 0 gauge 25/3 front, ie too flat.

It is possible, but highly unlikely, that they have been limited in the shape availability by tooling, though i'm very doubtful of that.

Paul.